Porsche Macan Forum banner

481 - 500 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I used a pair of Rhino ramps. They are quite low so it is a bit squeeze to get to the rear bolts holding the belly pan.
For those that have AS, Off Road is another way to gain more space under the car. For safety sake "lock" the AS before going under.

·
Registered
266 Posts
For those that have AS, Off Road is another way to gain more space under the car. For safety sake "lock" the AS before going under.
Hold the "low" suspension button for about 15 seconds and you'll see the alert that the suspension adjustment is off. There's plenty of room to maneuver under the vehicle with Rhino ramps and I'm a bigger guy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just did the 20k oil change in my 2017 4 cyl turbo using an extractor, worked great. There is a small oil access tube with twist off cap in the front center of the engine, just to the left of the oil filter. I had to “fish” the extraction tube a few times to get all the oil out, but that was the only minor snag in a very straightforward process.
how much were you able to extract out?
Anyone with an S trim see any oil access tube?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I performed this service last week on my wife's 2016 Macan S with 28,900 miles.Wife leased from new now we own it:). I made the body lift brackets at work before i retired last October. Easy service. The engine cover on wifes car has T25 head screws not T20. Used Castrol Edge 0-40w synthetic oil and a Mahle filter. Might change that to K&N next time for a cheaper price. Took exactly 12 miles of driving before the screen would show oil level! I have to perform similar work on my FJ, but with metal skids. My Toyota has a pressure release valve on the cartridge filter housing to evacuate the under pressure oil. Similar system though. Wished there was enough room for an E-Z oil drain valve. Used an icarsoft diagnostics tool to reset the change distance. Wish there was a dipstick. Anyone reading, try a utube link for a vid on this service by DWray. Easy job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"Which oil is Best?"!! After 40 years of oil/filter changes I will say; " whatever oil satisfies the manufacturers recommendation and satisfies your wallet." I worked with guys who swear by Royal Purple but others with similar cars have no issues with much cheaper oil. "Which oil is best?" is up to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would add- if you overfill - don’t try to drain it from the drain plug. I know you can loosen the drain and slowly drain it without creating a big mess. Don’t do that. Think ! - there’s is a crush washer there. Ones you loosened the drain bolt - you must put new crush washer. Meaning - taking the drain bolt out, holding the hole with your finger to keep the oil from draining.
Best way to drain little bit of oil is to loosen up oil filter and drain it. Then tighten and start the motor so filter will fill up again. Then drain again. Might need to repeat few times.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
For those who use 0w40 for their DIY oil changes, I recommend using a price checker service like camelcamelcamel to watch Amazon's oil prices.

I use Castrol as it meets the spec for all of our 5 different cars (2 Pcars, 2 BMW's and 1 MB), so I'm using more than 50 gallons a year of the stuff. Every time Walmart.com reduces their price or has a sale, Amazon seems to follow immediately. Just this past Friday camelcamelcamel sent me an email that Amazon has reduced their price to $17.34 for a 5 gallon bottle. That's the lowest I've ever seen it so I loaded up (actually I ordered from walmart.com as I needed some other things and they make you spend $35 to avoid a shipping fee)

Camelcamelcamel shows Amazon's price history, and it looks like the price was $17.34 for just one day or less.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I would add- if you overfill - don’t try to drain it from the drain plug. I know you can loosen the drain and slowly drain it without creating a big mess. Don’t do that. Think ! - there’s is a crush washer there. Ones you loosened the drain bolt - you must put new crush washer. Meaning - taking the drain bolt out, holding the hole with your finger to keep the oil from draining.
Best way to drain little bit of oil is to loosen up oil filter and drain it. Then tighten and start the motor so filter will fill up again. Then drain again. Might need to repeat few times.
I just checked for Amazon price for 15-50 Mobile 1 for my motorcycle and they want $36.16 for a 5 quart jug. So what is the deal?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just checked for Amazon price for 15-50 Mobile 1 for my motorcycle and they want $36.16 for a 5 quart jug. So what is the deal?
$25.47 @ Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-15W-50-5-qt/20713647) I always buy my 5-qt Mobil 1 (any viscosity) at Walmart, as they have the best prices on this item every time I've checked (over the last 18 years) Also pay attention for the Mobil 1 rebates. Usually once or twice a year, it's the opportunity to stock up for about 1/2 price. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you know approximately when this is?
Last one was 3/1/19 - 10/31/19. 2019 Mobil Promotion They haven't announced any promotion for 2020 yet. And even though Walmart hasn't been on their list of "other participating locations" for several years now, it continues to work. The rebate was a $12 gift card, so basically paying only ~$13 for 5 quarts. :)

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo
79 Posts
I also stock up when Costco does a -$12 off sale every now and then.
I just completed my first oil change at 6k mileage on my 2018 turbo. For those interested in using a fumuto valve instead of the standard drain plug it will not fit. The drain plug is recessed and the fumuto valve is too wide to for the recessed section. First car I’m not using the valve but oh well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
About to tackle this tomorrow along with brakes. The only thing I'd like some extra clarification on is what to do before I jack it up. I have read that air suspension must be disabled in before lifting the car in any manner. I do not have a hoist so ideally I'd get the front of the car on jackstands, do the brakes and oil change, drop the front and lift the rears to do the rear brakes.

Will disabling the air suspension also disable the auto-level functionality? I read that if you hold the low button for 5 seconds it will disable auto-level. To disable air suspension all together, you have to hold the low button for 60 seconds.

Can someone clarify? Obviously not trying to eff up the air suspension in any way. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
You push the button for several seconds - it will display a blue message in the right panel of
the instrument cluster noting the air suspension has been turned off. On restart the AS will
automatically re-engage.

I typically raise my Macan to off-road in order to drive it up onto ramps (for the front) in order to
perform an oil/filter change. I do have to remember to put the AS into off-road again on restart
in order to come down the ramps and avoid scraping (even if moving slowly...). I use ramps
because it's easier than trying to jack up one side, then the other - especially ocnsidering the
jack points are also the jackstand points (!!!). :oops:

Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo
79 Posts
You push the button for several seconds - it will display a blue message in the right panel of
the instrument cluster noting the air suspension has been turned off. On restart the AS will
automatically re-engage.

I typically raise my Macan to off-road in order to drive it up onto ramps (for the front) in order to
perform an oil/filter change. I do have to remember to put the AS into off-road again on restart
in order to come down the ramps and avoid scraping (even if moving slowly...). I use ramps
because it's easier than trying to jack up one side, then the other - especially ocnsidering the
jack points are also the jackstand points (!!!). :oops:

Good luck!
Get ramps that are properly rated (weight limit) for the car. Ramps make life much easier.

481 - 500 of 511 Posts