Porsche Macan Forum banner

461 - 480 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes, as of 2018. If in doubt it should be under code Z1S. The OP doesn't want to wait for the first 10k or 1 yr free service.

siberian

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's an oil filter. You can tell from the snaps on the bottom which attach to the oil canister like VDubs and Audis. It's unlikely that they would change the size/shape etc. of an oil filter from one year to the next. Plenty of places to find them: eBay, RockAuto...
They changed the V6 engines in 2019 to the Audi engines. It's a single turbo V6 now. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a22537394/2019-porsche-macan-new-look-new-v-6s-more-power-official-photos-and-info/

I wouldn't rule out a new oil filter being needed for 2019.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I just did an oil change on my 2015 S this morning. Took me 2 hrs including a quick lunch break. My first time DIY. Dealer did 3 previous oil changes.

I used a pair of Rhino ramps. They are quite low so it is a bit squeeze to get to the rear bolts holding the belly pan. I didn’t jack up the rear so the oil was drained while car was on ramps as described by a forum member here before. I put in about 8.5 qts oil in total. Initially I put in 8 qts but after a test drive the oil measure showed just above min (still green), I then added another half qt.

Previous instructions on this thread are good. The only issue I had was the clearance for the oil filter housing. My old 36 mm socket is too long so I used a pair of vice grips to loosen and tighten the oil filter housing. Next time I will buy a suitable 36 mm socket.

I checked for oil leaks and found none. Car is at 36,600 miles currently.

Reactions: Photon

·
Registered
297 Posts
You can always use some 2x4s or suitable wood in front of the rhino ramps so that by the time your diffuser or spoiler is near the ramp it's already elevated and won't impact the ramp. Have the same issue with the RS5.
siberian

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does that mean they relocated it to the top of the engine?
siberian

Yes, the new S engine has the oil filter on top of the engine, you do not need to remove the belly cover to do oil change now.

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oil filter for 2019S ?

My 2019S is approaching 5K miles, it's time for 1st oil change.

Which oil filter should I get? The 2019S engine is different from earlier models, I assume the filter is different as well. My Google-fu is strong, but I cannot find the 2019S-specific filter info.

TY in advance,
LT
My dealer is just over 10 miles away from my place and when I buy parts I always go to them. When you consider what on line parts places charge for shipping I find that my dealer parts department is almost always cheaper with my PCA discount and I know I'm getting the right part as they use the VIN to look up the part I need.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My dealer is just over 10 miles away from my place and when I buy parts I always go to them. When you consider what on line parts places charge for shipping I find that my dealer parts department is almost always cheaper with my PCA discount and I know I'm getting the right part as they use the VIN to look up the part I need.
I avoid my local dealer as much as possible for both service and parts, unless covered under warranty.

I find it very easy to beat their prices online, even if there are shipping charges. And many online sites will waive the shipping charges if you spend a minimum amount, so I will often buy more than one oil filter at a time, or buy parts for more than one car at a time.

Also, how much did you figure it cost you to drive the 20 miles round-trip to pick up the parts? How much per hour do you value your time at?

Finally, buying parts at the local dealer does not guarantee you are getting the correct parts. In this very thread there are examples where dealers gave customers the wrong oil filter O-rings, whereas Pelican's website clearly spells out what the issue with the O-rings is.

·
Registered
171 Posts
1.I find it very easy to beat their prices online, even if there are shipping charges. And many online sites will waive the shipping charges if you spend a minimum amount, so I will often buy more than one oil filter at a time, or buy parts for more than one car at a time.

2. Also, how much did you figure it cost you to drive the 20 miles round-trip to pick up the parts? 3. How much per hour do you value your time at?

4. Finally, buying parts at the local dealer does not guarantee you are getting the correct parts.
1. I rarely find that to be the case. If they don't beat the cost then the cost will be the same or one or two dollars more but in those cases I'm walking out of there with the correct part in hand and not waiting for FedEx or UPS. 2. Currently at $2.79 a gallon for tier 1 premium here it cost me less than $2.79 as my round trip is mostly on the freeway doing the speed limit so 21-22 mpg. 3. As I'm retired and normally combine this with a trip to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods nearby the dealer I don't consider this a factor. On occasion I also go in and browse the new Porsche toys - bonus. 4. In my years of owning Porsches I have not had one problem purchasing parts for my Cayman (recently sold) or my Macan where it required going back to get the "correct" part from my dealer parts department. Lastly, sorry your dealer experience has been a bad one. I guess I'm just very lucky to have a great one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I also see no logic to buying parts at the dealer. Easy to save money (and in some cases substantial amounts) on line. Easy to plan for what you need for routine maintenance, and beyond that the dealer likely needs to special order the parts needed anyway, so now you are making two trips.

And driving to the dealer costs far more than just the cost of fuel. Finally I don't need to be tempted by what's in the showroom ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
For those who have a 2019 Macan S with 3.0 liter v6 single turbo:

I tried to get everything for my first oil change at 5K miles last week.
Oil, no problem. Autozone has it covered - Mobil 1 0W40 full synthetic.
Went online to Suncoast for two sets of oil filter, plug, and crush washer sets.

Belly pan removal was fairly easy.
Then removed the PDK plug by mistake (thinking it was the oil drain plug) but quickly realized my error and put it back before any harm was done. Thoughts of having the car trailered all the way to Dallas (three hour trip to Grapevine) and who knows how much cost for PDK fluid replacement warned me to be certain of the next attempt at oil plug removal.

The only other likely candidate did not match the Suncoast oil plug and it was a torx plug, not hex. But after fruitless online reaserch and inspecting the engine over and over, I decided to slowly remove the likely candidate. Turned out that was the correct one this time.

So after draining oil I pulled off the filter housing (easily accessed in the upper engine bay) and then found that the part I ordered was not the correct filter and gasket.

So I took measurements of the old filter and have yet to find online the correct one. This is Sunday so I will phone Suncoast or Pellicans Parts tomorrow to see if I can get what I need without driving up to the dealership.

Also, since I have only 5K on the car and the drained oil was not all that dark, I put the old filter back in, turned over the crush washer, and filled her up with 7480 mls (7.48 liters) of fresh oil and drove her a bit until I got a reading in the green but just a bit low. Then I put in another 400 mils. That put the reading up high in the green.

Notes: the filter housing states 25nm so I torqued it but the wrench clicked before the housing was fully seated, so kept clicking until it was good.
the test drive was done sans belly pan so I could check the drain plug for leakage, and all was good there too.
the above oil measurement correlate to adding 8 quarts before the test drive, and another 0.5 quarts to top off.
I will try to remember to check back in with what I get from Suncoast or Pellicans Parts.

PS even with these difficulties, this was SOOOOO much easier that my experience with my former Cayman 718 base oil changes. Happy about that at least :)

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
...so even Suncoast, a Porsche dealership, can provide the incorrect parts for an oil change?

Nice! :rolleyes: :(

The 'oil leak' thread poster should read this thread, since he seems to believe dealerships don't make those kinds of errors.

Pelican seems to be a reliable supplier of oil change related parts (crush washers, o-rings, etc.).

?

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I bought the oil change kit from Suncoast and it has the correct oil filter O-ring.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My bet is that online pages have not been updated with the most current Macan S products.
That was the case last year with my Cayman 718 base.
I should have remembered that and called up before ordering online.

By the way, my experience has been great with my Porsche only dealership, both service and sales. Porsche Grapevine - part of the Dallas-based Park Place dealerships.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I contacted Suncoast by phone and they authorized my return of gen 1 oil change kits. The rep was not aware that gen 2 oil filters were not on the website, but said he would get with the R&D department to get that fixed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just completed the oil change on my '18 GTS thanks to the steps provided earlier in this thread. It took about an hour, although most of that time was spent cleaning up the garage. This is seriously one of the easiest DIY's ever and it makes no sense why the dealer in my area charges $380.

Oil - $50 for two 5 quart bottles of Mobil 1 0W-40 (8.5 quarts needed)
Filter kit - $25, although there's probably a less expensive option

Tools I already have:
Rhino ramps
8 mm allen
flat head screwdriver
adjustable wrench for oil filter housing
T20 socket & wrench
funnel
iCarsoft POR II reset tool

$75 total and I have 1.5 quarts of oil leftover. If I had to do it in a rush for whatever reason, I can't imagine that it would take more than 30-40 mins including drain time.

Most importantly, I know it was done properly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just completed the oil change on my '18 GTS thanks to the steps provided earlier in this thread. It took about an hour, although most of that time was spent cleaning up the garage. This is seriously one of the easiest DIY's ever and it makes no sense why the dealer in my area charges $380.

Oil - $50 for two 5 quart bottles of Mobil 1 0W-40 (8.5 quarts needed)
Filter kit - $25, although there's probably a less expensive option

Tools I already have:
Rhino ramps
8 mm allen
flat head screwdriver
adjustable wrench for oil filter housing
T20 socket & wrench
funnel
iCarsoft POR II reset tool

$75 total and I have 1.5 quarts of oil leftover. If I had to do it in a rush for whatever reason, I can't imagine that it would take more than 30-40 mins including drain time.

Most importantly, I know it was done properly.
That's pretty good, I found the worst part was removing the underbelly pan... ;)

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Just completed the oil change on my '18 GTS thanks to the steps provided earlier in this thread. ...
...iCarsoft POR II reset tool...
Great job!

Do you know if the iCarsoft POR II currently supports Mac or is it still Windows only?
I think you need to update the software after purchase &/or will need future updates so it keeps working.

BTW, will that tool allow you to register a new battery for the Macan?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Great job!

Do you know if the iCarsoft POR II currently supports Mac or is it still Windows only?
I think you need to update the software after purchase &/or will need future updates so it keeps working.

BTW, will that tool allow you to register a new battery for the Macan?

I believe it's still Windows only, although I've yet to plug it into a PC. I partitioned the hard drive on one of my Mac's to run Windows, but I'll probably just take it with me into the office if I ever need to update it.

I've reset the oil light and other service lights on my Macan and Cayman, but have not registered a battery. I believe that the iCarsoft POR II does not support battery registration from what I've read.

461 - 480 of 511 Posts