Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • So I planned to do the belt at 100K. Dealer cost was $1200. Did the 118k mike oil change last night and noticed a leak on the drivers side of the engine. Just a few drops. The timing area is a little wet but the tensioner is leaking. So now I’m forced to do it. I ordered the complete pack from FCPEuro which has the belt, tensioner, bolts, and all pulleys. And a lifetime warranty. I spent 2 hours on PIWIS TSI and downloaded the entire process for a cost of $28. And I bought 2 10x1.5 x 90 mm bolts at Home Depoplan is to take the weekend and do it plan to post the steps here as I go for reference. And so I can put it back together.
So steps are remove under body panel and the two side underbody panels. Then the front bumper and headlights and headlight mount come off. Then slide the radiator forward 80mm. Ayer disconnecting anything in the engine bay under tension.

·
Registered
969 Posts
  • So I planned to do the belt at 100K. Dealer cost was $1200. Did the 118k mike oil change last night and noticed a leak on the drivers side of the engine. Just a few drops. The timing area is a little wet but the tensioner is leaking. So now I’m forced to do it. I ordered the complete pack from FCPEuro which has the belt, tensioner, bolts, and all pulleys. And a lifetime warranty. I spent 2 hours on PIWIS TSI and downloaded the entire process for a cost of $28. And I bought 2 10x1.5 x 90 mm bolts at Home Depoplan is to take the weekend and do it plan to post the steps here as I go for reference. And so I can put it back together.
So steps are remove under body panel and the two side underbody panels. Then the front bumper and headlights and headlight mount come off. Then slide the radiator forward 80mm. Ayer disconnecting anything in the engine bay under tension.
Take lots of pictures for us.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I am doing video also, but will describe the steps as I did/do them

step 1 remove center underbody panel
step 2 remove carrier lock cover (that is Porsche speak for the cover over the radiator with the hood latch in it)
Step 3 - remove the plastic housing around the headlights
Step 4 - remove the front bumper
Step 5 remove the headlights.

so this is where I am at

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
wow....

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
"...where's the belt?"

--Clara Peller (of where's the beef fame)

o_O

it would appear Porsche took the Audi approach to serviceability with the Macan (unfortunately!!!).
At elast the timing chain isn't on the rear of the engine!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh the carnage. I had plans to do it step by step and document each step and take my time. Well. I’m trying to follow the instructions. But it sure what a lot of stuff means. And I label about half of it. Anyway. Got it loose. On step #23 of 33. It has taken hours.

when/if I finish I will post is some order.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok here goes. After removing the front bumper, headlights, air cleaner housing, and left headlight mounting (I was not reading and removed both), proceed with putting the lock carrier in service position. This may be a bunch of short posts with pics so I can remember how to put it back together

1 - disconnect battery ground. It is in the trunk and you have to take out the spare tire and the sub woofer.

2 - remove engine cover. It just pops off

3 - remove rubber seal on top of throttle body

4 - remove pressure pipe from throttle body
Just loosen clamps for now. I removed the whole thing after I took the brace off

5 - take off front hose

6 - disconnect electrical connector

7 - disconnect other line further back at clip

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sorry this is so disorganized but I did this rushed for no reason and now I’m not sure what I did. So I’m going to do one step at a time. And start over from the middle. One post. One picture. Then when I’m done I will try to make a final post putting it all together.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts