Porsche Macan Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've checked mine with our home thermostat setting and an array of large auto-related thermometers that I collect. Readings are +/-1 degree @ 70 degrees As the saying goes, "Close enough for government work"...especially for only $20.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I completed the PDK service yesterday. Everything went smoothly except screwing in the filler cap/plug to the transmission. There is very little clearance between the sheet metal and the fill hole. The only way I could screw it in was to push the sheet metal while turning the cap/plug. (It's not the easiest thing to do)

It took 4.8 liters of fluid.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just did mine last night. This picture is the drain hole with the old crush washer in place. It gets stuck on there so make sure that you take it off and install the new one.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used a Mightvac 1 gallon fluid dispenser to put the new fluid in. But first I dumped the drain pan contents into it to measure how much fluid drained out. Then disposed of that fluid, cleaned the container and filled it with new and a little bit more to take care of loss. Pumped the new stuff into the fill hole until it was full, capped it, started the engine and cycled the gears, warmed up the transmission as described here earlier and added a bit more until I was done. Easy job.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
I am almost at 40k miles and ready for the PDK fluid change.

Do you guys just use a pair ramps? That's all I have. I used them for the oil change and the space underneath is a bit tight. The PDK reservoir is further back from the oil pan so I would think it's hard to get there from under the ramps.

·
Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
I think you're going to have to drive it up onto the ramps, then jack up the rear and use jackstands, for access
and drain purposes.

Starting it up & running it through the gears, in order to get the fresh fluid up to temperature, may be a bit
tricky - unless it can be done stationary (foot on the brake pedal, etc.), and perhaps that's how people have
been doing it... (?).

Are DIYers doing this procedure on lifts, or what...?

Thx!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
First time I put the front on ramps and the rear on stands to get it level. I bought 2 extra ramps hoping I could jack up the rear high enough to get the ramps under the wheels but my jack could not get the rear tires high enough. Now I have a lift.

the lift makes it a 20 min job.
If anyone is near Akron you can come over and borrow it

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
I have done this on my BMW in a friend's garage with a lift. Ramps and jack stands seem too low and without a lift you have to make sure the car is stationary while changing the gears, which is quite risky on ramps and jack stands.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts