Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the great things about Porsche 4 cylinder engines is that they are easy to work on. The Macan 2.0T carries on that tradition where the 968 left off. I submit this post on my experiences with my first Macan 2.0T oil change for my fellow DIYers. Please feel free to add to it.
This weekend I performed my first oil change on our Macan 2.0T and it was fairly straightforward. I know there is another thread on DIY oil change for the 6 cylinder but I figured I would start a thread dedicated to the 4 cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Supplies and Tools

First, you’ll need your supplies:
Porsche 2.0T oil filter element and o-ring, part #958-115-562-00. Retail is $21
Quarter turn drain plug with o-ring, my dealer gave me this for free
4.7 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30. You can use some other weights. Check the owner’s manual.
And Tools (see photo):
T20 Torx screw driver or socket
Phillips screwdriver
Pliers
Wedge tool
Half inch drive socket wrench with 25mm or 1 ¼ socket
Funnel with small drain opening

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Belly pan removal

Task #1: Belly pan removal
The belly pan is large and extends almost to the middle of the car. If you are working on the floor you will need to jack up the driver’s side of the car in order to get to all the screws. You will be lifting the wheel off the ground. Be sure to use a jack stand to be safe. Now get under there and remove all the screws.
There are 15 torx #20 screws to remove. You can see their locations by the red arrows in the photo. In addition to the torx screws you will need to remove two Push pin holders. These are located towards the rear of the pan as seen by the green arrows in photo number 1.
Photo number 2 shows one of the two push pin holders. I grabbed the side of it with the pliers and then using the wedge tool pulled down the push piece to the point where it was open. Then just pull it and it will let go.
Photo number 3 shows that the front of the belly pan is wedged under the bumper cover. It just slides out but you’ll need to insert it back when you are done.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drain oil

Task #2: Drain oil
Grab your oil drain pan and get it under the car. Locate the oil drain plug on the driver’s side of the oil pan. See red arrow in the photo below. I used the #2 phillips screwdriver to remove the drain plug. Take note of how it is removed from the pan. Allow the oil to drain.
Move to the top of the engine. Pull the engine cover off. It is held by 4 rubber holders on retaining brackets hanging off the engine. Just grab and pull up. Next, loosen the oil filter canister and filler cap to allow the oil to drain more freely. For the oil filter canister you will need the half inch ratchet with the appropriate socket. The 25mm socket is the correct one but a 1 ¼ inch will work if you don’t have the 25mm. The canister is just snugged so it will give way easily but most likely you won’t be able to do it by hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Install filter and drain plug

Task #3: Install filter and drain plug
When the oil has drained as much as you think is reasonable it is time to put things back together. You can start with the oil filter. Remove the canister. Pull the old filter off (it may require a good pull, you may end up using the pliers, but it will let go). Remove the old O-ring and wipe the canister clean.
When you are satisfied, you can insert the filter element. Just put it on and give it a good push and it will go back into place (see photo number 2). After lubricating it with fresh oil, install the new O-ring. Wipe the oil filter area down. Once you are satisfied install the filter assembly. Hand tighten will be fine. If you want the proper torque I’m sure you can look that up and use a torque wrench if you like.
Now move under the car and install the new drain plug. Easy now. No need to over tighten it. You’ll note it screws in by hand and then once you get to a point where it tightens up get your screwdriver and give it that quarter turn. You will note a slot in the pan where a notch from the drain plug fits in (note red arrow in photo number 3). Once it snaps into place you are set.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re-install Belly pan

Task #4: Install belly pan
Start from the front. Insert the pan under the bumper piece so that you can install the torx screws. I then moved to the rear of the pan and did the two push pin holders first. They just push back into place. Then knock the pin part back up into place using a screwdriver handle and it will hold. Then you can install all the torx screws by hand and follow up with tightening using the torx. All set. Pull the jack stand out and let the Macan down off the jack.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Install oil

Task #5: install oil
You would think this is 100% simple but the oil filler area on the engine is very small. You will not be able to insert your quart container of oil in there and drain all the last drops. You will need to use a funnel. My first funnel would not work, too big. I ended up using another funnel that had thinner plastic at the bottom and I could shove it into the small area of the oil filler and then let the oil quart drain completely.
The 2.0T Macan requires 4.7 quarts of oil. Depending on how long you drained you should fill accordingly. You can always add more if you are down a little. Once the oil is in install the filler cap and engine cover and you are ready to go.
Start the engine and let it run and check your level. Top off if needed.
A pretty straightforward job and one you can easily do with minimal tools and you’ll save yourself a ton of money over a dealer oil change. I wrote my mileage in my maintenance manual. There is a service reset to deal with but that is for another thread.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the post.

Is the oil filter for the 2.0 liter the same part as the other Macan engines?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does 2 liter engine have vestigial dipstick

Does the 2 liter engine have a vestigial dipstick? My Cayenne Diesel had a plug in the dip stick tube so I bought a VW dip stick to save time with the oil level measurement after an oil change.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One of the great things about Porsche 4 cylinder engines is that they are easy to work on. The Macan 2.0T carries on that tradition where the 968 left off. I submit this post on my experiences with my first Macan 2.0T oil change for my fellow DIYers. Please feel free to add to it.
This weekend I performed my first oil change on our Macan 2.0T and it was fairly straightforward. I know there is another thread on DIY oil change for the 6 cylinder but I figured I would start a thread dedicated to the 4 cylinder.
Jeff - Many thanks for the detailed write-up! It really made my DIY oil change easy (more on my nerves than the actual work). In fact, once the belly pan was off, it was the easiest oil change I've ever done. The only thing I would change in your instructions is that it's a 32 mm socket (for a 1 1/4 inch) for the oil filter housing :).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did the 10K oil change a while ago, but not without a couple issues - Jeff's instructions were spot on (thanks again!), but other things didn't go quite as planned.

First, instead of ordering the oil filter from Suncoast, I decided to go to the local dealer and pick one up from the parts dept. I knew it would be more expensive, but 10K was upon me. They gave me the wrong filter (see attached photo correct vs incorrect filter for the 4 cylinder). They even gave me a crush washer, which isn't required. At least they gave me the correct replacement drain plug! So I just changed the oil and not the filter.

I ordered 3 replacement filters from Suncoast. They included 3 replacement drain plugs too! So I replaced only the oil filter when it arrived. I decided to replace both the oil and filter again at about 12.7K to get everything back on track.

Second, the push pin holders on the belly pan were a PITA to remove the first time and I pushed them back too hard. The second time I removed them were even more difficult and I broke both of them. Once I get replacements, I'll post pics of both for comparison. FYI - Don't use a hammer to push them back in, like I did!!!

Other than that, it's really a piece of cake to change the oil on this engine. But despite how many times I change oil (lost count), I manage to spill dirty oil all over the place. Don't ask how many paper towels I wasted :).

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is there any access to use a topsider to suck the oil from the engine bay for the V6? I use to do that with my MB E500. Since the filter is located in the engine bay, it would be much easier to do the oil change. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Is there any access to use a topsider to suck the oil from the engine bay for the V6? I use to do that with my MB E500. Since the filter is located in the engine bay, it would be much easier to do the oil change. Any info is appreciated.
Ditto to the topside extraction method. I do that on my C63.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts