Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased some aftermarket diverter valves since I believe my stock valves were going bad.

62K miles and still running the original valves. I was experiencing:

• Sluggish acceleration
  • Rough Idle
  • Bad MPGs

After the install, I've noticed an improvement in all of the issues mentioned above.

My question is, are there any negatives to upgrading (just) the valves without upgrading the ECU?

I plan on getting a COBB tune, but haven't yet pulled the trigger.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nope. Porsche uses plastic casing. Aftermarkets swaps out to aluminun. I have never seen the inside of an aftermarket but they serve the same purpose. You could also run Shell or Chevron gas consistently. They tend to keep carbon build up lower on the backsides of valves etc. .... or so they say.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had diverter valves on my list for a while. The OP might have just pushed my purchase up a ways.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yea, for the most part I get about 17 mpg and push it near every time I drive. If you are like me or are in an area where you can push the car with turns on weekends or whatever and hard multiple accelerations you should be a good candidate. For me, if one of mine ripped out the bladder or something I’d Probably DIY upgrade.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Night and day difference. Think of boost of 6 to 10 when accelerating modestly. Then add a Cobb and get 15!

·
Supporting Vendor
828 Posts
We're seeing more and more worn out OEM DVs. This isn't uncommon with other turbocharged Porsche models. With the new VW/Audi parts share on the 95B.2, they've adopted the electronically controlled DVs. However, the V6 models 15-18 (and 19 for the GTS and Turbo) seem to suffer from DVs that wear and leak over time. This can cause some issues as the OP mentioned.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
It’s not that they are worn out, the spring is mushy and just can’t hold the pressure IMO. I value your opinion, I think that if Flat 6 sells it then it’s a worthy addition to your car.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Yes you can, if you have a bit of experience. front fascia removal easy, hardest point taking apart 2 electrical connections. Be sure to thoroughly clean radiators and intercoolers at this point. Invest in some quality lockable hose clamps to get the hoses off. Take hoses off near the turbos for ease. Drivers side will be a challenge, but with time and patience it can be done. Look at Ams intercooler installation guide for details.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What are the options out there for aftermarket valves? I see the F6 for $300... but nothing else.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
It’s not that they are worn out, the spring is mushy and just can’t hold the pressure IMO. I value your opinion, I think that if Flat 6 sells it then it’s a worthy addition to your car.
The OEM valves (and APR) are diaphragm based, and it's the vacuum which creates the seal.

Piston based valves like Forge, AP, and Flat6 are spring based, but most people install them backwards so they end up effectively being reliant on vacuum as well.

·
Registered
2017 Macan S, Sport Exhaust, Cobb, Flat6 Airfilters, DV
82 Posts
Just curious, how would you install backwards? I replaced mine and it was pretty straight forward.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
For diaphragm based valves, the flow goes through the side and comes out the bottom.

Piston based valves are designed to have the flow come in the bottom, pushing directly against the spring. The springs can be adjusted to set how much boost it holds.

However, most often these get installed in the same orientation as the OEM diaphragm valves, and while they work the installed spring make no difference as the flow is pressing against the side of the piston. It only opens when vacuum is applied.

This is how my dealer installed my AP valves before I switched to APR, so it’s pretty common.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts