Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yikes, so the new 2.9 engine has a more quiet exhaust because of EU regs (which is what you posted earlier I guess), and the compensation is to pipe in sound? I know that happens in many cars (got one that does that) but I hope at least it can be disabled in the Porsche.

That 2.9 is in the Panamera and in the Audi RS5. Anyone know if they have piped in sound as well?

Who’s going to buy a Porsche if it sounds like a Prius?
When I switch off the loud exhaust I believe it turns off the piped in sound BUT ...... I like loud exhausts (sans the piping organ in the cabin). I drive with it off with the new Macan, last Macan it was always on. Disappointment.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You have owned M3's and a Gt4 and are complaining about Macan sound ? Sell it . Its not working for you.
Sorry if I was not clear....the issue is the character of the engine, not only the sound, I can live with the sound. It is the whiny engine. And, yes, correct, it is not working for me!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Each to their own (I’m not discounting your personal experience or opinion) but I find it interesting that you so strongly dislike the Macan GTS and love the GT4 considering the Macan GTS gets almost universal praise from every review I’ve read, while almost everyone complains that the GT4 gearing is all wrong (to the extend that I’ve read more than one reviewer say that the gearing single handedly ruins the car). Glad you’re liking one of them though.

Edit: I just recalled that even the guy from Porsche in charge of the GT4 line admits that there’s a problem with the gearing (I won’t copy and paste his comments here but it’s easy to google). You should try to connect with him to cheer him up ;)
I call it as I see and feel it.....I WAS comfortable in buying the car without driving it, I also read great reviews and that made me pretty sure I'd love the GTS Macan. I now say, don't buy one before you take a good drive in it. If I had done that there would have been no sale on the Macan.

I had also read all the reviews about the tall gearing on the current and last gen GT4 and it did concern me.

As sometimes happens in life we worry about the wrong thing. I am now driving both cars and can honestly say I disagree with the reviews I read.

I should also say I am blessed to be able to afford two Porsche's....very blessed. Just posting to hopefully save someone my "GTS" experience....while trying to find an out.

The GTS is a beauty in looks and most would be happy with the "engine character". Maybe you'd like to buy the GTS, I will give you a great deal! 😊

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Just a quick thought... if you can afford multiple P-cars, why not spend the cash and Cobb Tune it and add an aftermarket exhaust? Then just take the parts off when your lease is up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a lease and I don't want aftermarket parts. I had some aftermarket parts on my 2015 Macan and it caused issues with the warranty, lots of finger pointing when there was a problem. Aftermarket obviously big business for P-cars but I want mine to come from the factory as it should be! Just a personal thing after some experiences that soured me on altering expensive cars. I get what you are saying tho!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Under Normal Mode, it's a tad softer which we happened to prefer (for music appreciation scenario), probably the combination of EU noise limit and/or noise insulation on the new model also had some effect. With windows all rolled down, exhaust note is still very pronounced. With S/S+ mode, Macan GTS still gets fairly good amount of deep and exhaust burp during downshift between RPM ranges.
I hope this is the case! Currently I only have 700 miles on my 2020 GTS, not been over 3,000 rpm, and have kept it in "Comfort" mode. Can't wait to let the badger out of the bag!

I'll tell you another thing, I don't miss the turbo lag in my old 2018 GTS, or it's crappy feeling brake pedal.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Gears are too tall. You don’t need beyond 2nd gear.
That's not true -- I use 3rd and 4th in the city, 5th and sometimes even 6th on the highway (perhaps Covid partially empty streets help me get up there!). On the track this may be an issue but I don't track my baby, I am more of a street racer. I think everyone needs to drive one to see if it works for them (no, I am not volunteering my GT4 as a test car!).

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I hope this is the case! Currently I only have 700 miles on my 2020 GTS, not been over 3,000 rpm, and have kept it in "Comfort" mode. Can't wait to let the badger out of the bag!

I'll tell you another thing, I don't miss the turbo lag in my old 2018 GTS, or it's crappy feeling brake pedal.
You may not be feeling the turbo lag in you are under 3,000 rpm (??). I feel it but comparing it with my '15 Turbo that seemed to have no lag. I am not adhering to any break in on this car, it has a 1,000 miles and I am driving it like I stole it as they say.

You are comparing your 2018 GTS to your 2020 GTS and coming up with thumbs up. I am comparing my 2015 Turbo (That I drove 6 years) to the 2020 GTS and it is thumbs down. Long story short, don't step down a model.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can take you out of your misery... just give me the car (you keep paying, though). HA! 😆

In all seriousness, what kind of great deal are you thinking of giving? Feel free to DM me if that's the route you may entertain.

·
Registered
147 Posts
^ If you're not pleased with sound on LCI Macan GTS, LCI Macan Turbo won't work for you either as they are the same 2.9L engine with different software tune. Trade-in both GTS and GT4 and opt for 992 911 Turbo S if power is the priority.

The sound differences might be mostly from PSE instead of engine. Many other sport characteristics from LCI GTS made it in high demand.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
75 Posts
Can't go wrong if you get the (old) Turbo Performance Package, best of all worlds!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I was slated to get a 2020 Macan Turbo, replacing my 2015 Macan Turbo. One thing after another, too much time was passing, and low and behold the dealer could only offer me a GTS. My 2015 was having mechanical and cosmetic issues so I went for it. Optioned over 100K for the new GTS.

Huge disappointment for me and realized it on the first drive. The engine is fast but the character feels like a sewing machine. The rumble and noise of my 2015 was unmistakable, inside the car or outside, always got comments. The new GTS is more "bumble bee", feels like a base model on steroids. Lacks character that a GTS should have. I love the "Porsche sound" but in this car I am shutting off the exhaust button as it is simply an annoying sound (is it piped into the cabin, thought I read that somewhere?)

This is my DD and a business car. This was the first time leasing a car, I held onto the last one too long and it cost me dearly in repairs so I figured a lease would get me out in 3 years without the headaches.

I don't think I will be looking at another Porsche for my DD when this lease expires.

I will say I am generally a huge Porsche fan. I received a 2020 GT4, it arrived on the same boat as the GTS. I am so in love with the GT4, everything is perfect and magnificent. I wish I could say the same as the GTS Macan, stuck with a 3-year lease and not liking the drive at all!
Can't agree more! I was given a loaner 2019 Macan S while my 15 S was in for a head gasket leak. All I can say is that it did not feel special like the 2015, and lacks the sophistication and not much character.
It felt way faster than what it actually is. AND THAT transmission was doing some weird shifting. Talked to the service advisor and confirmed that was a known issue, and still not right despite a few Porsche fixes.

I am sticking with my 2015 for now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Actually, that’s a stupid question. The Taycan is flying off the shelf. I stand chastised.
The Taycan is an electric Porsche, expectations are entirely different.\

ICE Porsches that sounded like lawn-mowers are unattractive. The unique engine noises, vibrations and the exhaust notes are all part of the Porsche experience, in combination with the chassis dynamics and handling makes them uniquely PORSCHE addictive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 GTS is my first Porsche, but after 1,500 km, the engine/exhaust seems to sound nicer. I personally love it, but don't have any legacy models to compare against.

I was slated to get a 2020 Macan Turbo, replacing my 2015 Macan Turbo. One thing after another, too much time was passing, and low and behold the dealer could only offer me a GTS. My 2015 was having mechanical and cosmetic issues so I went for it. Optioned over 100K for the new GTS.

Huge disappointment for me and realized it on the first drive. The engine is fast but the character feels like a sewing machine. The rumble and noise of my 2015 was unmistakable, inside the car or outside, always got comments. The new GTS is more "bumble bee", feels like a base model on steroids. Lacks character that a GTS should have. I love the "Porsche sound" but in this car I am shutting off the exhaust button as it is simply an annoying sound (is it piped into the cabin, thought I read that somewhere?)

This is my DD and a business car. This was the first time leasing a car, I held onto the last one too long and it cost me dearly in repairs so I figured a lease would get me out in 3 years without the headaches.

I don't think I will be looking at another Porsche for my DD when this lease expires.

I will say I am generally a huge Porsche fan. I received a 2020 GT4, it arrived on the same boat as the GTS. I am so in love with the GT4, everything is perfect and magnificent. I wish I could say the same as the GTS Macan, stuck with a 3-year lease and not liking the drive at all!

·
Premium Member
2017 Macan Turbo w PP
1,321 Posts
Can you use swapalease?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I can take you out of your misery... just give me the car (you keep paying, though). HA! 😆

In all seriousness, what kind of great deal are you thinking of giving? Feel free to DM me if that's the route you may entertain.
I'll answer that question on the forum in case there are other interested parties. The list on my 2020 Macan GTS is $105,600. I need to check in with Porsche leasing but I think I am willing to take a 20K hit and sell it for $85,600. The car is perfect and has 1K miles.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Can you use swapalease?
Thanks just started looking into that, just unsure how it all works from a legal sense. This car is in the name of my corporation so need to be careful that not to involve the company.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Thanks just started looking into that, just unsure how it all works from a legal sense. This car is in the name of my corporation so need to be careful that not to involve the company.
I know two people who exited early out of Porsche leases . One paid the buyout number in full and sold the car privately . The other traded it upside down but since he is considered VIP it cushioned his loss a bit . Either way the buyout number has to be paid .

The difference with yours is that its a company car lease whereas theirs were personal use vehicles . I can't imagine how you might even try to explain to corporate that you leased a Porsche GTS but want a Turbo . I would love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2017 Macan Turbo w PP
1,321 Posts
they assume the lease under their name. Not sure how it would be negatively affected on your end. Just call swapalease and ask them. I’ve swapped out of a M5 in my corporation name(i have a PA under my name as a MD).

41 - 60 of 103 Posts