Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
just curious when you say you held on to the first one too long and it cost you dearly in repairs, did you post here about those "breakdowns" or are you speaking of routing maintenance performed at outrageous dealer pricing?

Have you never heard of Geico MBI? You should look into it. For pennies a day you will have a warranty that lasts 100k or 7 years and will cost you no more than $250 per incident.

Also, you got a new GTS and a new GT4 and I see nary a pic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The same sound issue exists with the GT4; it really comes alive once your past 3,700 RPM when the valves open up again. My wife always comments that our '18 GTS is louder and sounds better than the GT4 on start up. Will definitely be looking at over-axle pipes and possibly a new exhaust setup next season!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yikes, so the new 2.9 engine has a more quiet exhaust because of EU regs (which is what you posted earlier I guess), and the compensation is to pipe in sound? I know that happens in many cars (got one that does that) but I hope at least it can be disabled in the Porsche.

That 2.9 is in the Panamera and in the Audi RS5. Anyone know if they have piped in sound as well?

Who’s going to buy a Porsche if it sounds like a Prius?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Actually, that’s a stupid question. The Taycan is flying off the shelf. I stand chastised.
Is it? US numbers it's outselling...well not much. My 2 dealers have plenty on the lot.
ModelApril-June
20202019Difference
ALL 9112,2451,72630.1%
ALL 7184721,490-68.3%
ALL TAYCAN818n/an/a
ALL PANAMERA8712.042-57.4%
ALL CAYENNE3,8224,472-14.5%
ALL MACAN3,9645,503-27.9%
TOTAL12,19215,233-19.9%

·
Premium Member
6,254 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
20 Posts
I guess that yours sounds ok? 😃
At least it isn’t coming through the speakers like on my last BMW!

FWIW when I drive around my neighborhood, even a low speed, pedestrians hear my GTS and move to the edge of the road. I wonder how many people are going to be run over by Tesla’s 😱

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is no gearing issue :cool:
Agreed.

Gears are too tall. You don’t need beyond 2nd gear.
I think this comment about the gears being too tall has been drastically overblown. It's true, you can reach ~140km/h in 2nd gear, however I'm also not redlining every gear before shifting all the time. The torque curve is pretty flat with this 4.0 flat six, I've never felt like I was lacking power anywhere in the power band. The gearing is definitely geared (ha) more for the track, however it's perfectly fine and usable in normal driving conditions. I'm normally cruising somewhere between 3rd and 5th gear.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Is it? US numbers it's outselling...well not much. My 2 dealers have plenty on the lot.
20202019Difference
ModelApril-June
ALL 9112,2451,72630.1%
ALL 7184721,490-68.3%
ALL TAYCAN818n/an/a
ALL PANAMERA8712.042-57.4%
ALL CAYENNE3,8224,472-14.5%
ALL MACAN3,9645,503-27.9%
TOTAL12,19215,233-19.9%
I wonder if those 911 numbers include the 991.2 leftovers . I am not seeing many 992's on the road.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
hey, so what exactly is wrong with the exhaust sounds in the new Macans? With or without PSE? On startup or while driving/accelerating?

Is it the new 2.9 that’s a problem?
The first thing negative I noticed about my 2020 GTS was the exhaust sound, it was raspier (buzzy), softer, and not as deep as the sound from my 2018 GTS. And just like my old 2018 GTS, the first 30 seconds at start up is some what OK, but after that, it gets much quieter than the 3.0L. The exhaust note is quieter as well when driving....I haven't done any WOT romps yet since I'm still in break in, but the few between shift "farts" I've heard do sound softer as well. My hope is after break-in, the exhaust wakes up a bit. I've even gone as far to pre-order Flat 6's intake system to get a little more engine noise.

Now I've read it's not necessary the 2.9L that's the problem, like others have said, it's a combination of the new EU noise limits, and the new gasoline exhaust particle filters. Yes the U.S. spec vehicles do not have the gasoline exhaust particle filters, but they do have "substrate" to mimic the back pressure of the filters in order to keep the ECU happy.

Reactions: ikonn and mplgaus

·
Registered
55 Posts
Would the PDK solve the GT4’s gearing issue?
Porsche says yes, it will, and many reviewers seem to agree. I should say however that if any GT4 owner is miserably unhappy with their gearing and just can’t stand the car I’d be happy to take it from them. I’d be content to just drive it in 2nd :)

·
Premium Member
6,254 Posts
I think the issue is tall gears strip the joy of shifting. Isn't that the point of a manual car?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think the issue is tall gears strip the joy of shifting. Isn't that the point of a manual car?
less time lost due to the human element? My last 4 cars over 16 years were manual before my Macan GTS and as fast as the PDK is and despite the perfect downshifts I do miss the third pedal. Even after 16 years there is still room to improve my technique. There are few things as satisfying as the harmony and synchronization of the perfect heel-toe...

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
less time lost due to the human element? My last 4 cars over 16 years were manual before my Macan GTS and as fast as the PDK is and despite the perfect downshifts I do miss the third pedal. Even after 16 years there is still room to improve my technique. There are few things as satisfying as the harmony and synchronization of the perfect heel-toe...
Funny to read your post. I learned how to drive on a manual pickup truck when I was 11 years old (drove inside our farm). Automatic cars were a luxury in my country so the first time I ever drove an automatic car was when I moved to the US 20 years ago. I remember when I got my first car here, a used Jeep Grand Cherokee, and my wife said to me: "I don't think I can drive an automatic car. I never drove one." Many years later I went back to my country on a business trip and rented a manual car and drove around 700 miles in one day. When I got back to the hotel late that night my left leg was extremely sore and I was trying to figure out what had happened. :)

Reactions: Daya and jzwu

·
Premium Member
6,254 Posts
LOL

I never drove a car before I came to the US 30 years ago. My first 3 cars were manual. Now I still enjoy manual shifting but my old legs/hips are going out.

Reactions: grim and Daya

·
Registered
147 Posts
The first thing negative I noticed about my 2020 GTS was the exhaust sound, it was raspier (buzzy), softer, and not as deep as the sound from my 2018 GTS. And just like my old 2018 GTS, the first 30 seconds at start up is some what OK, but after that, it gets much quieter than the 3.0L. The exhaust note is quieter as well when driving....I haven't done any WOT romps yet since I'm still in break in, but the few between shift "farts" I've heard do sound softer as well. My hope is after break-in, the exhaust wakes up a bit. I've even gone as far to pre-order Flat 6's intake system to get a little more engine noise.

Now I've read it's not necessary the 2.9L that's the problem, like others have said, it's a combination of the new EU noise limits, and the new gasoline exhaust particle filters. Yes the U.S. spec vehicles do not have the gasoline exhaust particle filters, but they do have "substrate" to mimic the back pressure of the filters in order to keep the ECU happy.
Under Normal Mode, it's a tad softer which we happened to prefer (for music appreciation scenario), probably the combination of EU noise limit and/or noise insulation on the new model also had some effect. With windows all rolled down, exhaust note is still very pronounced. With S/S+ mode, Macan GTS still gets fairly good amount of deep and exhaust burp during downshift between RPM ranges.

The new 2.9L is definitely a potent engine that sprints Macan GTS closer to 4s in 0-60. In several occasions, we did the 0-60 comparison between F80 M3 CP (stock 444hp 0-60 3.8s) and the new GTS (stock 375hp 0-60 4.5s), it matches closely around .5s behind @ 4.3s or slightly faster. With aggressive launch control (probably one of the best out there) that Porsche provided, one can only expect GTS to be quite potent with tune solution to unlock additional power under the hood.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The GTS is supposed to be more raw and edgy . It's actually tame next to some of Porsches other models . I love the rev snarl of a performance vehicle . In fact I think the Turbo engines homogenize the sound due to the impeller of a turbo.

The Turbo is a more luxury based trim but even with that the new generation car does have sport exhaust . The base is the quiet version but that type of pattern is always the case . As one moves towards performance the tradeoff tilts on comforts but Porsche does seem to find balance in the street version SUVs .

I don't see the sense of keeping acre you dont like . Pay off the lease and sel it . You'll take a loss but every day you drive a car you dont want you lose even more.
Yes, I bought the car based on raw and edgy which I like. The character of the engine is not raw nor edgy to me, more like an annoying Japanese car winding out the engine. I used to gutter race all the time, now no more, I am afraid all will laugh.

You are correct I need to figure out a way out of this car. I should also clarify that everything else on the car is beautiful, Porsche beautiful, it's just that **** whiny engine.....I like confidence in an engine and this one does not give me confidence unfortunately.

I also never thought I'd say anything negative about a Porsche, hey it is what it is...for me.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
just curious when you say you held on to the first one too long and it cost you dearly in repairs, did you post here about those "breakdowns" or are you speaking of routing maintenance performed at outrageous dealer pricing?

Have you never heard of Geico MBI? You should look into it. For pennies a day you will have a warranty that lasts 100k or 7 years and will cost you no more than $250 per incident.

Also, you got a new GTS and a new GT4 and I see nary a pic.
Yes, I only use the dealer for repairs. My 2015 Macan front lights were "fogged" up, yellow, like a 2005 Toyota. The leather on the dash was curling and the dealer wanted 6K to replace the trim piece (had to be special ordered from Germany). $600 buttons broke twice...I could go on and on...but that is not my complaint as I loved that car.

I have a ton of pics of my new cars, do let me know if you want to see more :)

21 - 40 of 103 Posts