Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was slated to get a 2020 Macan Turbo, replacing my 2015 Macan Turbo. One thing after another, too much time was passing, and low and behold the dealer could only offer me a GTS. My 2015 was having mechanical and cosmetic issues so I went for it. Optioned over 100K for the new GTS.

Huge disappointment for me and realized it on the first drive. The engine is fast but the character feels like a sewing machine. The rumble and noise of my 2015 was unmistakable, inside the car or outside, always got comments. The new GTS is more "bumble bee", feels like a base model on steroids. Lacks character that a GTS should have. I love the "Porsche sound" but in this car I am shutting off the exhaust button as it is simply an annoying sound (is it piped into the cabin, thought I read that somewhere?)

This is my DD and a business car. This was the first time leasing a car, I held onto the last one too long and it cost me dearly in repairs so I figured a lease would get me out in 3 years without the headaches.

I don't think I will be looking at another Porsche for my DD when this lease expires.

I will say I am generally a huge Porsche fan. I received a 2020 GT4, it arrived on the same boat as the GTS. I am so in love with the GT4, everything is perfect and magnificent. I wish I could say the same as the GTS Macan, stuck with a 3-year lease and not liking the drive at all!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, someone has to balance the scales against the "fifty million Frenchmen".

Reactions: WOT

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
...but with the GT4, as I understand it, the revs have to be kept above 4K to get ti to go. That seems pretty
busy (bzzzzzyy) to me...

Different strokes, etc.

Several years ago I owned a BMW 325is. Inline 6, with strong pull. I thought I wanted to get an E30 M3 and looked
at a few. On each test drive, I was struck by the fact that I had to keep the 4-banger's revs up in order to "be in the
power band" - something I was not accustomed to with the 6-pot.

In the end, I opted to keep the 325is and not pay the, at the time exorbitant and now astronomical, asking price for
the M3.

My preference is more for low-end grunt, than high revving activity. It seems to me all the high revving simply wears
things out faster... Maybe not.

Good luck!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't test drive one before signing the lease?
No, I did not test drive one because there was nothing to test drive, they skipped a year production. Went on blind faith and my love for P-cars.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...but with the GT4, as I understand it, the revs have to be kept above 4K to get ti to go. That seems pretty
busy (bzzzzzyy) to me...

Different strokes, etc.

Several years ago I owned a BMW 325is. Inline 6, with strong pull. I thought I wanted to get an E30 M3 and looked
at a few. On each test drive, I was struck by the fact that I had to keep the 4-banger's revs up in order to "be in the
power band" - something I was not accustomed to with the 6-pot.

In the end, I opted to keep the 325is and not pay the, at the time exorbitant and now astronomical, asking price for
the M3.

My preference is more for low-end grunt, than high revving activity. It seems to me all the high revving simply wears
things out faster... Maybe not.

Good luck!
I don't find that to be the case with the GT4. It really is the most perfect car I have ever owned, sounds great, tons of fun. I also have owned 4 generations of M3's and have loved them all. Thank you for your good wishes!

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
I was slated to get a 2020 Macan Turbo, replacing my 2015 Macan Turbo. One thing after another, too much time was passing, and low and behold the dealer could only offer me a GTS. My 2015 was having mechanical and cosmetic issues so I went for it. Optioned over 100K for the new GTS.

Huge disappointment for me and realized it on the first drive. The engine is fast but the character feels like a sewing machine. The rumble and noise of my 2015 was unmistakable, inside the car or outside, always got comments. The new GTS is more "bumble bee", feels like a base model on steroids. Lacks character that a GTS should have. I love the "Porsche sound" but in this car I am shutting off the exhaust button as it is simply an annoying sound (is it piped into the cabin, thought I read that somewhere?)

This is my DD and a business car. This was the first time leasing a car, I held onto the last one too long and it cost me dearly in repairs so I figured a lease would get me out in 3 years without the headaches.

I don't think I will be looking at another Porsche for my DD when this lease expires.

I will say I am generally a huge Porsche fan. I received a 2020 GT4, it arrived on the same boat as the GTS. I am so in love with the GT4, everything is perfect and magnificent. I wish I could say the same as the GTS Macan, stuck with a 3-year lease and not liking the drive at all!
The GTS is supposed to be more raw and edgy . It's actually tame next to some of Porsches other models . I love the rev snarl of a performance vehicle . In fact I think the Turbo engines homogenize the sound due to the impeller of a turbo.

The Turbo is a more luxury based trim but even with that the new generation car does have sport exhaust . The base is the quiet version but that type of pattern is always the case . As one moves towards performance the tradeoff tilts on comforts but Porsche does seem to find balance in the street version SUVs .

I don't see the sense of keeping acre you dont like . Pay off the lease and sel it . You'll take a loss but every day you drive a car you dont want you lose even more.

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
I don't find that to be the case with the GT4. It really is the most perfect car I have ever owned, sounds great, tons of fun. I also have owned 4 generations of M3's and have loved them all. Thank you for your good wishes!
You have owned M3's and a Gt4 and are complaining about Macan sound ? Sell it . Its not working for you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Each to their own (I’m not discounting your personal experience or opinion) but I find it interesting that you so strongly dislike the Macan GTS and love the GT4 considering the Macan GTS gets almost universal praise from every review I’ve read, while almost everyone complains that the GT4 gearing is all wrong (to the extend that I’ve read more than one reviewer say that the gearing single handedly ruins the car). Glad you’re liking one of them though.

Edit: I just recalled that even the guy from Porsche in charge of the GT4 line admits that there’s a problem with the gearing (I won’t copy and paste his comments here but it’s easy to google). You should try to connect with him to cheer him up ;)

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
Would the PDK solve the GT4’s gearing issue?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
After driving a GT4 EVERY Macan (and Cayenne and Panamera) would feel like a disappointment to me. :)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Smaller Audi engines designed for more HP. Buzzzzzzz. What is it? No replacement for displacement?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just a quick thought... if you can afford multiple P-cars, why not spend the cash and Cobb Tune it and add an aftermarket exhaust? Then just take the parts off when your lease is up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Just a quick thought... if you can afford multiple P-cars, why not spend the cash and Cobb Tune it and add an aftermarket exhaust? Then just take the parts off when your lease is up...
My thoughts exactly. OP should just buy an AccessPort & an exhaust, then call it a day.

All I know is my 2020 GTS beats my old 2018 GTS in every category....except exhaust sound.

Reactions: Canuck

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I heard the new Macans have a very disappointing sound and although I understand that is due to EU regulation I don’t understand why they have to apply those regulations to the US. My 15 S still has a cold start that puts a smile on my face every morning and knowing that is no longer available is very disappointing.

Reactions: reguy

·
Registered
90 Posts
All I know is my 2020 GTS beats my old 2018 GTS in every category....except exhaust sound.
hey, so what exactly is wrong with the exhaust sounds in the new Macans? With or without PSE? On startup or while driving/accelerating?

Is it the new 2.9 that’s a problem?

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
20 Posts
Love my 2020 Macan GTS. It’s definitely more fun than my 2017 Macan S. It’s my DD and I enjoy it every day. Too bad you weren’t able to drive one before committing. Cars are in short supply. Are there any options to turn it over? Bottom line, it’s always tough dropping down a trim level on any car.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
hey, so what exactly is wrong with the exhaust sounds in the new Macans? With or without PSE? On startup or while driving/accelerating?

Is it the new 2.9 that’s a problem?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts