Porsche Macan Forum banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sport mode lets the engine run in its intended rev range where it utilizes its power... 2500 to 4500 RPM rather than going into higher gears right away and dropping down to 1500 RPM in normal (economy) mode. Look at the torque curve and you'll understand
That’s the whole reason for Sport Mode, so it shifts the way you would manually if not loafing along. Sport Mode could just as easily have been the default with an “Econ“ button.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wrong again bucko. I'm that poster, and it definitely is not the wrong car. Sport mode lets the engine run in its intended rev range where it utilizes its power... 2500 to 4500 RPM rather than going into higher gears right away and dropping down to 1500 RPM in normal (economy) mode. Look at the torque curve and you'll understand what you clearly haven't managed to understand yet.

And when I want 'more' as you put it, there's Sport Plus. My "base" is the Sport Edition, with Sport Chrono, air suspension with PASM, 21" wheels, sport exhaust and lots of other performance options. The smaller engine doesn't hold it back from being a very fun ride, and it's perfect for sporty driving. Pretty much like a hot hatch, and the air suspension is amazing for great high speed handling. Best option available.

Yah I'm not going to drag your Cobb equipped S 0-60, but with an APR Stage 1 chip or similar there's lots of upgrade potential when my warranty runs out. Perfect car for me.
my friend with a volvo xc60 says hi

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
75 Posts
That’s the whole reason for Sport Mode, so it shifts the way you would manually if not loafing along. Sport Mode could just as easily have been the default with an “Econ“ button.
Exactly! It's just like driving my manual shift 987.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i own an S and i actually don't. I have a perfect balance of good enough power and mileage in regular mode, and good power in Sport mode. This is ideal for me. Your base doesn't seem ideal for you because, as you said, you need to hit that sport button every time you drive, hence the car doesn't provide you a regular mode that works for you.
Perhaps the sports mode button should be programmed like the engine start/stop button so that it remembers the last setting before the engine shuts off to save the driver an extra effort on every startup LOL

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
75 Posts
Macan Base: 2.0 liter, inline 4-cylinder engine and 248 horsepower.
Macan S: 3.0-liter, V-6 engine that and 348 horsepower.

In my view that is the same as flying on coach vs business class.
Yeah, because everyone knows business class gets you there faster.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
santastico said
Macan Base: 2.0 liter, inline 4-cylinder engine and 248 horsepower.
Macan S: 3.0-liter, V-6 engine that and 348 horsepower.

In my view that is the same as flying on coach vs business class.

perhaps an analogy you like better is flying coach vs private jet? is that where you're going with this?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Both analogies are stupid exaggerations. Yours is stupider.
But.. as you like to mention... we wouldn't arrive at the same time.. you know.. something about 100 more hp... the S has an additional Fiat 500 engine powering the rear wheels than the base

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
75 Posts
100 more hp... the S has an additional Fiat 500 engine powering the rear wheels than the base
Yup, 100 HP difference. Totally factual. For those odd times when it makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Haven’t follow your posts and not sure what car you have but if you never flew business class you indeed get to your destination earlier. After the plane lands, business class passengers are the first allowed to leave the plane so they can go to immigration way faster and not stand in lines. If you are in coach you have to wait and I feel sorry for the guy sitting in the middle seat of the last row. By the time he leaves the plane the guys that were in business class are already on their way home.
Enjoy any Macan you have in good health but just keep in mind that there is a difference between the Base and the other 3 models.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
75 Posts
After the plane lands, business class passengers are the first allowed to leave the plane so they can go to immigration way faster and not stand in lines.
Agree, business class is great for that. Still don't see how the experience of driving an S versus other models fits that analogy. Sure all the models have differences from the others, but they are all great drives if you get the right options... even with the turbo 4 that my Sport Edition has.

Reactions: philbert

·
Registered
151 Posts
Still don't see how the experience of driving an S versus other models fits that analogy.
I believe the point some people are trying to make is that more expensive models are justified by a more "premium" experience. To each their own - pay for what you value - we are not here to justify our purchases to others :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Still don't see how the experience of driving an S versus other models fits that analogy
selective understanding. I understand... you need to defend your purchase. And for whatever reason (likely financially) you need to defend your purchase of the base. The S is better. the GTS is even better. Most would say the biggest difference would be between the base and the S. I'd be so pissed losing to a volvo in a porsche. thats just embarrassing.

Agreed, business class is the ****. I try to fly business on my 6+ hour flights at least 1 leg of each trip. But i gotta say coach is fun in the spring/summer to Vegas :)
The jet analogy is similar too, but you can't seem to understand any analogies.

141 - 160 of 179 Posts