Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Great comparison.

I've not driven the S or GTS. If I were ordering . . . kinda cause I am a "buttons and switches" sort of guy when it comes to electronics, aircraft panels and cars . . . I'd likely got GTS

But . . . the base . . . . I have put over 2,000 miles on mine the last week . . . is perfectly comfortable causing for 35 minutes at an average of 112 MPH . . . Passenger guessed the speed to be "80 or 85".

>>>Those who consider the Macan a sports car don't know sports cars. The Macan, any model, is a very fine handling CUV/SUV
Precisely my point. Frankly, I think they all have their place. The Base is the model, let's be honest, that is the Oxygen to Porsche and make up MOST their sales.

This has been a fun dialogue and I confess I've a growing interest in the GTS.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
MOST their sales.
toyota corollas and honda civics make up most of the sales. The general population in the world are not car or driving enthusiast. The general population are point a - point b people. That very much explains the base purchasers. most sales doesn't mean anything... it just means they're cheaper and thats a fact.

any car can cruise at 112mph for 30 minutes...... its getting there thats slightly less fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
any car can cruise at 112mph for 30 minutes...... its getting there thats slightly less fun.
Funny. I was driving southbound on the Dallas “autobahn” (Dallas North Tollway) recently from Frisco to Dallas... was in my Macan going about 110mph when I came across a guy in a silver Macan S. He matched my speed and we both drove 100-110mph together all the way into Dallas. I guess he had more fun than I did since I was just in a base Macan.

·
Registered
463 Posts
>>toyota corollas and honda civics make up most of the sales.
There ya have it . . . I didn't even know Porsche SOLD Toyota and Honda. But, Base Macan make up a huge, if not the most, part of Porsche sales. I'd posted the inventory of the 2 top dealers in the country a week or so ago and, without looking back, I recall that the Base made up a significant part of their entire inventory and something on the order of 80% of their Macan inventory. It's pure speculation but I suspect they forecast and order based on expected sales. They wouldn't, for example, have 80 Base among 100 Macans if they expected to sell 60% S models.

I do agree with you about the "Cheap". I picked up the Base, at about $70K and it was cheaper than the Audi we bought the following day and even cheaper than the F-250 Super Duty and F-350 Super Duty we keep here at the farm. I'm perfectly happy with mine but you do have me curious about ordering an S . . my wife has that motor in her S5 and it handles very well. I still like the 608HP converts le though. :)

>>>I guess he had more fun than I did since I was just in a base Macan.
Doubtful . . . I know that road very well from when we were doing a ton of work in Addison . . (when the Tollway ended there) and it has to be a hoot now!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Base is sufficient power for majority of your driving and quite preppy!

Reactions: Mleibrock

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
toyota corollas and honda civics make up most of the sales. The general population in the world are not car or driving enthusiast. The general population are point a - point b people. That very much explains the base purchasers. most sales doesn't mean anything... it just means they're cheaper and thats a fact.

Up over the Kochola between Hope and Kelowna we set the cruise control at 110 mph. Sometimes we have to go faster to avoid getting run over. Our fishing club beckons but the border is closed. Sigh!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just for fun . . . I looked at a nearby dealer.

Champion . . . . Macan in stock 110

96 Base
5 S
4 GTS
5 Turbo

Palm Beach . . . .

Curiouser and curiouser . . . .

Be interesting to see import totals for a year. I wonder what % the Macans and the Macan Base make up.

What would it do to Porsche if they lost the revenue from those cheap folks buying Macan Base models?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Just for fun . . . I looked at a nearby dealer.

Champion . . . . Macan in stock 110

96 Base
5 S
4 GTS
5 Turbo

Palm Beach . . . .

View attachment 233085

Curiouser and curiouser . . . .

Be interesting to see import totals for a year. I wonder what % the Macans and the Macan Base make up.

What would it do to Porsche if they lost the revenue from those cheap folks buying Macan Base models?
so the base is the toyota corolla of the company.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Funny. I was driving southbound on the Dallas “autobahn” (Dallas North Tollway) recently from Frisco to Dallas... was in my Macan going about 110mph when I came across a guy in a silver Macan S. He matched my speed and we both drove 100-110mph together all the way into Dallas. I guess he had more fun than I did since I was just in a base Macan.
We know he had more fun getting there, unless getting there slower was more fun to him.

·
Registered
38 Posts
But if it's slower then he has more time to enjoy the Porsche ambiance and experience which should be worth more, no?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
But if it's slower then he has more time to enjoy the Porsche ambiance and experience which should be worth more, no?
exactly.. the slower the better for him i guess. Probably has the most time to enjoy that going 0 mph.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm smiling at the idea of "purists" debating the 912 back in 1965. "How dare Porsche dump a 4 cylinder VW engine under the bonnet of a 911?!?! Only posers would want such a thing!" Those were probably the same "purists" who cried out in 2002 when the Cayenne was released. "How dare Porsche make a SUV!?! Only posers would want such a thing!"

Throughout it's history, Porsche has utilized a multitude of engines and a multitude of chassis configurations. The first car to carry the Porsche name was a Beetle with stretched out bodywork. As the owner of a tuned Macan GTS and a 4 cylinder Cayman S, I don't look down on any Porsche model and especially not any owners who are passionate enough to actively be a part of the Porsche community. A base Macan with sport mode on (which I engage frequently on mine because it's THERE) is a plenty fun and enjoyable urban vehicle especially in Sport mode and manual shifting mode. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I don't need the number of Porsche owners out there to be restricted for me to feel good about myself. Are there poser Porsche owners? Of course! Based on how quickly so many GT cars get flipped for resale, how many of those buyers are true Porsche enthusiasts and does it matter? Whoever wants to pay the current prices to be a Porsche owner, welcome aboard! And the more people buying Porsches means Porsche will keep R&D'ing cars with tons of choices.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Yes, of course you can get 300Hp and with a few bolt on parts you can get close to 400, at least that what a friend of mine got on his Audi.
BUT, it's still a 2.0, no instant torque and if you are driving on 6th gear at 50 miles/h and want to give it a go you'll need to wait until the turbo starts boosting hard to feel the power.
On a V6 that does not happen, you have power from the first touch of the gas pedal.
This is not a Macan 2.0 issue, is just a small engine that thanks to a turbocharger generates a lot of power, without the turbocharger is still a 2.0 engine.
I'm not saying 2.0 > Bad, 3.0> Good, is just that they are two very different animals.
6th gear at 50 miles/h<
In that drive mode I would definitely downshift to give it the go. This is the beauty of the PDK with it's extremely fast response. I'll also add that the Germans must be pretty confident of the 2.0 since it is used in everything from the Q7 down to the Golf

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I have a 2016 S. I’ve had a base Macan as a loaner more than once. No comparison in performance. None. The base wouldn’t win in zero-to-anything. I’m one of those reprobates who remain incredulous that Porsche even made the base Macan and stuck their badge on it.
I have a 2016 S. I’ve had a base Macan as a loaner more than once. No comparison in performance. None. The base wouldn’t win in zero-to-anything. I’m one of those reprobates who remain incredulous that Porsche even made the base Macan and stuck their badge on it.
Not everyone buys a Porsche or any other car for maximum performance. if I wanted to race and beat everything on the street I would ride a Motorcycle. Some of us realize one can own a Porsche within a reasonable budget and also realize that there is always someone driving something bigger and faster. I like our Macan Base and don't have an issue with Porsche making a 2.0. If you are so incredulous why do you support Porsche by owning a Porsche?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Not everyone buys a Porsche or any other car for maximum performance. if I wanted to race and beat everything on the street I would ride a Motorcycle. Some of us realize one can own a Porsche within a reasonable budget and also realize that there is always someone driving something bigger and faster. I like our Macan Base and don't have an issue with Porsche making a 2.0. If you are so incredulous why do you support Porsche by owning a Porsche?
This! For about $15,000 you’ll outrun just about everything on 4 wheels.

·
Registered
240 Posts
In that drive mode I would definitely downshift to give it the go. This is the beauty of the PDK with it's extremely fast response. I'll also add that the Germans must be pretty confident of the 2.0 since it is used in everything from the Q7 down to the Golf
I honestly don't think that is a confidence thing, is more that they don't have another option.
The world is not just the US, in many countries the difference between the registration charges for a car with a 2.0 engine and one with a 3.0 is crazy, in others the fuel cost doesn't allow normal average to drive a V6 with a petrol engine and this is why Porsche sold a lot of Macan, Panamera and Cayenne diesel.

101 - 120 of 179 Posts