Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have a 2016 S. I’ve had a base Macan as a loaner more than once. No comparison in performance. None. The base wouldn’t win in zero-to-anything. I’m one of those reprobates who remain incredulous that Porsche even made the base Macan and stuck their badge on it.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
64 Posts
I’m one of those reprobates who remain incredulous that Porsche even made the base Macan and stuck their badge on it.
It's really driven by world markets other than North America. Displacements under 2.0 litres have favourable tax advantages in countries where taxes can double the price of a vehicle. That's why Land Rover, Mercedes, BMW and other luxury brands are now making 2 tonne vehicles with 2.0 turbo engines. For Porsche, the four cylinder Macan is the model that sells the most world wide. And Porsche has done at least as good a job as anyone of making a 2.0 turbo drive well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2016 S. I’ve had a base Macan as a loaner more than once. No comparison in performance. None. The base wouldn’t win in zero-to-anything. I’m one of those reprobates who remain incredulous that Porsche even made the base Macan and stuck their badge on it.
Love my humble little base Macan. But I didn’t buy it to beat anything in a straight line... that’s what my weekend car is for. Just wanted Porsche quality, daily utility and something I could occasionally whip around on a twisty road if I happen to come across one. Checks all boxes for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I too love my 2018 base. I got a 2019 base Loaner last year and actually felt that my 18 base drove slightly better and felt a bit peppier...

Reactions: Caymancouver

·
Registered
896 Posts
I too love my 2018 base. I got a 2019 base Loaner last year and actually felt that my 18 base drove slightly better and felt a bit peppier...
I mentioned this possible explanation in another thread years ago. Loaners may get a diet of low octane gas, forcing the engine to retard timing and reducing performance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s funny for base snobs now as before at least they can claim that the s gts turbo engine are actual Porsche engines but now the s engine is also found in Audi s4 and gts and turbo engines are in the rs4.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have twin 16yo boys that are learning how to drive. I got the base Macan because I didn't want them to learn how to drive on a car with "too much" power. That said, the base Macan is no slouch and handles fantastic.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I have a 2018 Sport Edition which amounts to a base Macan with PDK and a few extras. I would love to have a "S" but the Sport Edition gets the job done for me. I have more fun playing with the adjustable suspension than anything else.

·
Registered
233 Posts
>>On the highway on ramp I gave it a go, and it seemed to run out of steam fairly quickly.
We're coming upon a year with the Base . . . it sat in NY for months, due to COVID and is now here in Florida getting driven a bit. I'm looking at adding another and am thinking S ( The Porsche Code ) but have had the base in the triple digit zone for nearly an hour and it ran great and never seemed to breathe hard.

We have the 2.0 in the Macan and the 3.0 in the S5 and, while the S5 is a rocket ship, the 2.0 is just fine for what we use it for.

My better half seems to have the right idea . . . "get a 911 Turbo for real fun" and the Macan for a daily driver.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I believe that everybody will agree with you other half, in my case the only one which doesn't is my bank account, with a baby on it's way, buying a house and with my salary brutally chopped due to the COVID 19 a used Macan S provides good fun without breaking my finances for a couple of years.
It's good to have options, for some people the performance is not a deal breaker, for others the appearance, for others the luxury.
I just wanted a safe vehicle, which performs in a good way, the faster the better but like I explained before I always look for low end torque and not for top speed and the 2.0 in my opinion fails on that task.
In my case the 2.0 feels plain wrong, maybe because I drive 911's with 500+ hp on a daily basis, but that's my feeling when driving either a Macan or a Q5 with the 2.0 engine, I really don't care if it's an Audi, VW or Ford engine, I can deal with the fact that today every automaker has to make concessions to make money and Porsche is not exempt from that.
I don't think that one is better than the other, they are just different.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I’m perfectly content with the Base. It was purchased as kind of a spare fun car for our place in the Hudson Valley. After years of test riding motorcycles I found the Base just fun to drive and never bought into the illusion of a “performance car” mates with “SUV”. Like someone previously said, 8 wanted something with good quality that was fun to drive. She’s been through 7 - 911 variants and really enjoys her cars. Her groom at the barn has some crazy 603HP AMG S63 Cabriolet and I think these woman are car crazy!

My crazy days are well behind me and I’m really enjoying the Base.

·
Registered
16 Posts
white the loaner base feels peppy it does not have anywhere near the umph that the S has, also i immediately noticed how crappy the brakes are on the base - that made a huge difference to me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think this Audi 2.0 is quite underpowered compared to others, like the Stelvio 2.0, which has over 300 lb/ft torque, and a spin to 60 isn’t too far away from the S.

I just can’t believe the base Q7 is also using this 2.0, does this engine even have enough power to push it since the car weights up to over 5000lbs

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
64 Posts
I think this Audi 2.0 is quite underpowered compared to others, like the Stelvio 2.0, which has over 300 lb/ft torque, and a spin to 60 isn’t too far away from the S.
Yes the Stelvio with 240 lb less to move probably feels noticeably quicker. I must say I don't find the base Macan under-powered though, as I learned to drive on a 36hp VW Beetle, and could extract every last ounce of torque out of that little flat-4. I've had cars with V-8s and a Cayman GTS that had gobs of power, but the power that comes from a small motor driven well is a whole lot of fun.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes the Stelvio with 240 lb less to move probably feels noticeably quicker. I must say I don't find the base Macan under-powered though, as I learned to drive on a 36hp VW Beetle, and could extract every last ounce of torque out of that little flat-4. I've had cars with V-8s and a Cayman GTS that had gobs of power, but the power that comes from a small motor driven well is a whole lot of fun.
Actually not talking about the weight but the engine, people who have driven the Stelvio 2.0 say it has almost no turbo lag at all, at least not as noticable as the Macan. The ZF unit pairs it up pretty well.

One major issue with the Macan 2.0 acceleration is the moment after it launches you immediately feel it loses tremendous amount of power, which creates a problem when try to pass a vehicle or to pick up speed. I guess this is probably the reason why people want to pay a bit more to go with the S.

Also, I heard a lot of owners complain about the spongy soft brakes on the Base. Does this have anything to do with the 4-piston vs the 6 on the S? It scares the heck of some owners as I read and they think if the brakes will even do its job.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know if the brake issue has been addressed but the 2020 base's brakes are spot on. Best brakes of any car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I feel so lucky . . . . after all those years spent test riding sport motorcycles and being subjected to brakes ranging from really bad to unbelievable . . to have snagged one of the . . . apparently rare . . Base Porsche Macan with great brakes.

I feel so lucky.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I believe that some people want to pay for a base macan but expects 991 turbo S performance.
I own a Q5 with 250hp, the brakes on my Audi are the smaller ones, not even close to the 4 pot installed on the Macan and I never had any issues with my brakes. Of course I drive in a dynamic way, I can adapt to the traffic, I'm not the typical SF driver that wants to go faster no matter how fast everybody drives around them and then when the light changes they smash the brakes in the last second, in that case not even PCCB's are going to be enough.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts