Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got my 2017 Macan S not long ago, and i had to drop it off at the dealer for tire replacement.
They gave me a 2019 Macan base as the loaner car. That car felt pretty peppy when put into sports mode, and when I am at the right RPM.
Now that got me wonder what is the actual difference in performance between S and Base model. And was there any performance update for the 2019 Macan Base? (AFAIK, it should be identical to a 2017 one, but I might be wrong)

Cheers
You really notice the difference when you have extra weight in the car, and especially when overtaking at speed. The base is fine around town and for 1-2 people; it lacks the punch and effortless power of the S when the car is loaded up or on the highway. One thing to consider is that the AUDI 4 turbo is a very highly stressed and very delicate engine, coupled with pushing along 1800kg, it simply won't last as long as the 6 cylinder. I too drove a Base as a loaner whilst my S was being serviced and thought it was good around town, but when I picked up my S and drove back to my country home, wow what a difference.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
64 Posts
One thing to consider is that the AUDI 4 turbo is a very highly stressed and very delicate engine, coupled with pushing along 1800kg, it simply won't last as long as the 6 cylinder.
While I agree that the 6 cyl has some performance advantages over the 4 cyl, I wouldn't say durability would be an issue with the turbo 4. That EA888 engine is robust and well proven, and the fairly modest state of tune in the Macan (252 HP) is less than other applications where it gets closer to 400HP. Things like oil leaks are common in all Audi/VW engine configurations, and my guess is the 6 cyl and 4 cyl probably have similar record on such issues (along with the Porsche V6). But overall the Audi 2.0 turbo engine is strong and durable and should be fine in the Macan. As an aside, many vehicles over 2 tonnes worldwide are now being equipped with 2.0 litre turbo 4 cylinder engines.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Audi engine is a great engine and nobody can argue that, is solid performs very well and you can get a lot more power from it with minimal bolt ons.
The only thing that I can take from every new 4 cyl turbo engine is the lack of low end torque, they are 100% turbo dependent, before the turbo kicks in you have a very slow car, after the turbo kicks in we are back in business, this is not just the Audi, is just the configuration of a small engine helped by a turbocharger.
In my case I never measured the 0-60 and I'm not a top speed guy, I just want torque, a lot of torque, I want to floor it and I want immediate response, I can't deal with that second or more that takes to build up boost and get ready to go.
Good torque get's you out of trouble, you can go for that gap right in time without bothering anybody around, you can pull off from that idiot sticking to your ass right away, that's what I want on a car and in my opinion the base Macan don't have that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Audi engine is a great engine and nobody can argue that, is solid performs very well and you can get a lot more power from it with minimal bolt ons.
The only thing that I can take from every new 4 cyl turbo engine is the lack of low end torque, they are 100% turbo dependent, before the turbo kicks in you have a very slow car, after the turbo kicks in we are back in business, this is not just the Audi, is just the configuration of a small engine helped by a turbocharger.
In my case I never measured the 0-60 and I'm not a top speed guy, I just want torque, a lot of torque, I want to floor it and I want immediate response, I can't deal with that second or more that takes to build up boost and get ready to go.
Good torque get's you out of trouble, you can go for that gap right in time without bothering anybody around, you can pull off from that idiot sticking to your ass right away, that's what I want on a car and in my opinion the base Macan don't have that.
I agree 100% with your statement in the normal driving mode, but when the 2.0 is put in sport it does respond instantly. Granted it responds even better when the turbo does kick in but there is no hesitation when driving in Sport mode.

·
Registered
39 Posts
To answer your question, I have driven a few base loaners. The base jumps off the line a little quicker. It handles a little different because of the lighter engine. The S pulls much harder at the top end at around 4,500 rpms you can really start to feel it pull. The S is about .7 seconds faster to 60 so that is a decent amount the base is probably quicker to 20.

·
Registered
896 Posts
This probably comes down to 3 factors, of which number 3 is most critical (and personal):
1. Weight - driver only or maybe 2 people total vs a heavier load.
2. Roads - suburban vs higher speed highways.
3. Driving style - your personal need for acceleration.
Maybe add agility, fuel economy, and sound as minor factors?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Base + Cobb is the right combo. That 2.0L engine can definitely get to 300 hp.

Reactions: GerryV and philbert

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
64 Posts
Base + Cobb is the right combo. That 2.0L engine can definitely get to 300 hp.
Base + APR Stage 1 gets to over 300HP as well just with a software tune. (About 25% increase in both HP and torque.)

Apparently it really wakes up the EA888 engine.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Base + APR Stage 1 gets to over 300HP as well just with a software tune. (About 25% increase in both HP and torque.)

Apparently it really wakes up the EA888 engine.
And you still keep the weight down. Tastes great, less filling.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Yes, best of both sides. Of course, it’s still a little 2.0L engine. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you saying just a canned tune and no additional parts (intake/air filter, down pipe, etc) will get the 2.0 to 300whp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Yes. Other car manufacturers have done that all the time.

Reactions: Caymancouver

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, of course you can get 300Hp and with a few bolt on parts you can get close to 400, at least that what a friend of mine got on his Audi.
BUT, it's still a 2.0, no instant torque and if you are driving on 6th gear at 50 miles/h and want to give it a go you'll need to wait until the turbo starts boosting hard to feel the power.
On a V6 that does not happen, you have power from the first touch of the gas pedal.
This is not a Macan 2.0 issue, is just a small engine that thanks to a turbocharger generates a lot of power, without the turbocharger is still a 2.0 engine.
I'm not saying 2.0 > Bad, 3.0> Good, is just that they are two very different animals.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
64 Posts
Are you saying just a canned tune and no additional parts (intake/air filter, down pipe, etc) will get the 2.0 to 300whp?

Yes. Stage 2 would be changing out parts, but the 2.0 with only Stage 1 gets to 308 HP I believe. I have no connection to APR, but their website shows the revised power and torque curves. They have been doing Audi and VW tunes for years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome. Yeah, I just got my base and haven’t looked into making any power yet. My 650whp full bolt-on E85 GTR kinda fills that role when needing to go fast. But having a little more power in the Macan is definitely attractive. I’ll check out APR and also see what Cobb has to offer. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
The 2.0L can crank out 300 hp easily. Question is other components in the drivetrain. The possible weak link is the PDK. However, if the Base Macan uses the same PDK unit as the S model, then all is good.

The GTS and Turbo models use beefier PDK units than the S model.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
You can search the forum as this has been discussed many times before.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You really notice the difference when you have extra weight in the car, and especially when overtaking at speed. The base is fine around town and for 1-2 people; it lacks the punch and effortless power of the S when the car is loaded up or on the highway. One thing to consider is that the AUDI 4 turbo is a very highly stressed and very delicate engine, coupled with pushing along 1800kg, it simply won't last as long as the 6 cylinder. I too drove a Base as a loaner whilst my S was being serviced and thought it was good around town, but when I picked up my S and drove back to my country home, wow what a difference.
I am a bit gun shy regarding Audi engines. I have had 3 Audi's; A6, A4, A5 Sportback. All gave me trouble, especially the A5 - Timing chain replacement, DSG rebuild, loose steering rack at 90,000km, something that should not happen, control arm bushes, capacitors, all at low k's..... I will not touch anything Audi ever again, they are cheaply built mechanically and way too delicate for Australian conditions. Maybe you get better service in the US.......

21 - 40 of 65 Posts