Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my Macan S Diesel made it's first birthday on the 19th October, today I've received a present from Porsche, a letter to get a software update to solve the emission cheat, which I though my car wasn't affected since it has the AdBlue.

I guess I'm going to skip it, I see no point in wasting my time with this, probably getting worse performance or more consumption or both, otherwise if it could been solved with a simple software there wasn't any need cheat in the first place.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You are right. Clean air is overrated.

I suspect if you don't take it in, the dealer will do the update the next time you are in for service. They would probably be fined heavily otherwise.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The letter mentions it's "free willing".

I'd bet my car is way cleaner than most of the trucks and buses I see everyday, specially the ones from eastern Europe.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
The letter mentions it's "free willing"..
Isn't that an old movie about a killer whale? ;)

What does "free willing" mean? Never heard that term before.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had one of the first Audi TTs back in the early 2000s, and they sent me a letter about a recall to install a spoiler because some of the cars were lifting off the ground at high speeds. I adamantly refused to them installing a spoiler, and they allowed to me to refuse it if I signed a waiver stating I had declined it. The whole reason I bought the car was for the design as it wasn't very fast, so that would have ruined the car for me. I literally would have rather sold or traded the car than have the spoiler installed, and they worked with me while covering themselves legally. Who knows if this could be a similar situation, but I doubt they'd be as willing to compromise on things like emissions with the magnitude of the recent scandal.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't that an old movie about a killer whale? ;)

What does "free willing" mean? Never heard that term before.
According to the Oxford Dictionary:

Free willing:

"ADJECTIVE

That possesses the faculty of free will."

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had one of the first Audi TTs back in the early 2000s, and they sent me a letter about a recall to install a spoiler because some of the cars were lifting off the ground at high speeds. I adamantly refused to them installing a spoiler, and they allowed to me to refuse it if I signed a waiver stating I had declined it. The whole reason I bought the car was for the design as it wasn't very fast, so that would have ruined the car for me. I literally would have rather sold or traded the car than have the spoiler installed, and they worked with me while covering themselves legally. Who knows if this could be a similar situation, but I doubt they'd be as willing to compromise on things like emissions with the magnitude of the recent scandal.
The German authorities left the recall voluntary meaning that the manufacturers can sidestep any claim from the owners have not been disadvantaged and do not deserve compensation, as they like how their cars work.
All that money VW gave to the lobbyist have paid off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
surprise package

So, my Macan S Diesel made it's first birthday on the 19th October, today I've received a present from Porsche, a letter to get a software update to solve the emission cheat, which I though my car wasn't affected since it has the AdBlue.

I guess I'm going to skip it, I see no point in wasting my time with this, probably getting worse performance or more consumption or both, otherwise if it could been solved with a simple software there wasn't any need cheat in the first place.

I’ve had the benefit of the surprise package just over 3 weeks ago as part of the routine 90'000 km service. >:D

The PC informed me that the software update involves optimising the «behaviour» of the exhaust system at low temperature. No information was forthcoming about how this update would affect AdBlue usage. In the service book the update was not recorded in the software upgrade section but under code WG22 in a section on service actions (see separate thread: Porsche Macan Recalls & Warranty > DME reprogramming WG22).

My Macan Diesel S has been running ever so smoothly for over three years but now the engine is quite rough at less than 1'800 rpm in case of anything more than very gentle acceleration, especially during the first 10 minutes of driving. :(

Does anyone know what this software update specifically involves ? :eek:

·
Registered
338 Posts
The manufacturer has a responsibility for the conformity of the vehicle according to the DOT´s in all European countries. I guess cars NOT updating the systems making the car legal could be penalised at the mandatory car testing every X-years. Porsche needs to prove that the affected cars has been properly adjusted.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Just find a Euro Tuner, disable and defeat all that useless nonsense.

Its all BS anyway.

LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the DOTs and in between

The post by TRUED 08-16-17 provides the key to understanding the Diesel Gate Recall:
"The manufacturer has a responsibility for the conformity of the vehicle according to the DOT´s in all European countries. I guess cars NOT updating the systems making the car legal could be penalised at the mandatory car testing every X-years. Porsche needs to prove that the affected cars has been properly adjusted."
WG22 reprogramming apparently aims at reducing CO2 as well as NOx emissions and involves PDK settings for lean fuel management, particularly at low revs as used in urban driving or daily commuting.

Looks like an attempt at achieving DOT conformity without telling anybody ! :eek:

Macan SD owners are understandably worried about costs.
WG22 may result in more frequent cleaning cycles of the DPF and the DPF may need replacement earlier than anticipated before the WG22 reprogramming.

The costs associated with higher AdBlue consumption as well as the time needed to tank AdBlue can be minimized by using the Adapter-2e0-201-135-d-1 of the VW Crafter, a spare part which fits the Macan SD AdBlue nozzle perfectly and can be used at filling stations for diesel vans and trucks.

Another well-kept secret ! :nerd:

·
Registered
934 Posts
The AD-Blue DEF Fluid is expensive and is used to lower the NOX Emissions output, the more stringent the level of total NOX the more AD-Blue/DEF is injected.

Reduced EGR flow will help the engine life at the expense of more $$$$$$ being spent to purchase/inject AD-Blue.

When I lived in CT my 2002 Duramax had no emissions, was not required, my 2007 had EGR and a CAT on it, it was negligible the difference is made, I threw all that stuff in a trash can and every year it passed with flying colors, no issues meeting the required levels.

I just threw all that garbage in a trash can on my 2012, had issues, was not going to deal with them anymore, we have no testing in SC, no inspections, nothing...............so off it all went, mileage is up 6 MPG.........what a waste all that garbage is.

But hey.............is makes lots of money for whomever is selling the expensive parts and not having to warranty them forever.

·
Registered
636 Posts
In the UK the diesel has been the most popular Macan.

There are now very many unhappy Macan siesel owners.

Not because of diesel gate.

Because of miscellaneous issues where their car goes into Limp Home mode despite the journey profile meeting the requirements for the regeneration cycle to occur.

There have been cases of diesels being returned to the dealers because of numerous DPF faults and Porsche being unable to rectify the problem

Yet other diesel owners have no problems, so it seems a random fault that affects only certain Macans.

Go figure!

·
Registered
722 Posts
No issues with my Touareg. Had over 105k when she was bought back. Well, did have the AdBlue pump go bad at 1100 miles and the AdBlue heater go at 52k. That's it. If I had a negative comment about mine it was that it ate tires. 25k was max tire life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the new software applied at the regular service, the car runs rougher and louder below 2000 RPM now. Other than that didn't notice any other difference.

It's a PITA, this Diesel Gate story...

·
Registered
636 Posts
I’ve had the benefit of the surprise package just over 3 weeks ago as part of the routine 90'000 km service. >:D

The PC informed me that the software update involves optimising the «behaviour» of the exhaust system at low temperature. No information was forthcoming about how this update would affect AdBlue usage. In the service book the update was not recorded in the software upgrade section but under code WG22 in a section on service actions (see separate thread: Porsche Macan Recalls & Warranty > DME reprogramming WG22).

My Macan Diesel S has been running ever so smoothly for over three years but now the engine is quite rough at less than 1'800 rpm in case of anything more than very gentle acceleration, especially during the first 10 minutes of driving. :(

Does anyone know what this software update specifically involves ? :eek:
Sad to hera that.

There are SD owners in the UK who also report the same symptoms.

Additionallythey then start to suffer from the DPF warnings and even the car going into limp home mode.

Time to cut losses, get rid of the SD and buy a Macan with a proper Porsche engine and not a rebadged Audi.

·
Registered
21 Posts
TT recall

In Sept. 1999 I received one of the two very first TT Quattros delivered in Seattle area at Barrier Motors. The TT was my reward for buying my wife a new Boxster the year before. Shortly there after there was a recall for suspension changes and addition of a rear spoiler. I had the suspension changes done but declined the spoiler and had to sign a waiver form. The TT styling was so innovative that the addition of an unplanned and poorly designed spoiler destroyed the whole design of the car. Since then I have seen a few TT's that did not have a spoiler and were marked as first year cars.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Anybody selling a diesel today would take a bath. Any chance of a financial settlement in addition to the software fix?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts