Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Owning a Porsche? I know I did and the Macan is my first step in realizing that dream but I NEVER in a million years would have guessed my first Porsche would be a Utility Vehicle!!! ****, I am 41, utility vehicles didn't look like this when I was a kid :)

BTW, yes I did buy this poster lol.

Growing up in the 80's, I had a poster of the Lamborghini Countach on the wall.( just like every other kid at that time) Nissan and Mitsubishi had nothing that appeal to me back then. But nowadays I'm sure kids have GTRs and EVOs posters on their walls.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My 1960's childhood car dreams included Cobras, Shelby Mustangs, Corvettes, (maybe someday achievable), Ferraris, (unobtainable), but always seemed to prefer Porches. My first car was a 1963 Corvair Monza (American Porsche?). As an adult, I've owned 2 VW bugs, 2 VW vans, 1 Karmann Ghia, 1 Rabbit, and a Golf (and a few unmentionable American and Japanese cars/trucks). When driving them, I always dreamed the VW's would become Porsches when they grew up. Now it seems the Rabbit/Golf grew up to become a Macan. While I'm busy putting another 100,000 miles on the hand-me-down "Old Beater" 2004 Lexus SC430, I'll be dreaming about whether to replace it with a 911 or a Boxter. Let the dreams live on....

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
The 911 is built like a one of those ugly black water bugs. When I was kid, I would find them in the basement after a huge rain. I think that's why I've never been drawn to Porsche sports cars. They're aren't attractive looking. They just aren't. Porsche's decision to manufacture the Macan was the smartest thing the company ever did. Now, if they can only get the quality manufacturing process within just shouting range of Lexus and Acura quality, they could have the most fantastic affordable car on the planet.
@Trek Dude! U R sew rite! Da RX300 waz da bomb diggity! Sew kweler den ah 911! Itz Liquid SeXXXX!!! Eye lust 4 1!

NOT! Seriously, go buy your vaunted Lexus and leave Porsches to the cool kids who appreciate them.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,339 Posts
The 911 ...They're aren't attractive looking. They just aren't.
Funny thing, every time I look out my window I think quite the opposite. In fact, when the wife and I took it for a spin today, her exact words were "the car is so gorgeous", as if it were the first time she ever saw it.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is a reason that for 50 years the basic shape, that squat rear end, hasn't changed. There is a reason it's instantly recognizable anywhere in the world. The design you hate is timeless. But I guess that's lost on you.

Thats OK. I couldn't tell one lexus from another. They all look like gold colored toasters to me. ;) Doesn't everyone buy that pale gold color?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thats OK. I couldn't tell one lexus from another. They all look like gold colored toasters to me. ;) Doesn't everyone buy that pale gold color?
Its funny my buddy who only drives BMW's calls Lexus the "Me Too" car because anytime you tell someone you own a Lexus they respond "Me too";)

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I was a kid I also had the lamborgini countach poster. My views on Porsche were primarily thanks to the video games Test Drive and Test Drive 2, where the 911 was a really funky looking sports car, but (unsurprisingly in hindsight) I didn't like it because it was so hard to handle :)

I didn't see any of these cars in person (that I can recall) until I moved to California as an adult and when I finally saw a 911 I was like "holy ****, THAT is the car for me!". It really left an impression. Powerful, yet understated. Unique and beautiful without being overbearing or douchy. Pedigree and perfomance. Driver's cars. And, (IMS catastrophe aside) they practically last forever. Can't beat it!

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
Funny thing, every time I look out my window I think quite the opposite. In fact, when the wife and I took it for a spin today, her exact words were "the car is so gorgeous", as if it were the first time she ever saw it.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is a reason that for 50 years the basic shape, that squat rear end, hasn't changed. There is a reason it's instantly recognizable anywhere in the world. The design you hate is timeless. But I guess that's lost on you.

@grim I'm with you. The 911 looks amazing. There is just "something" about it compared to every other vehicle ever made. I'm not saying nothing else is unique nor better looking.

I am saying that the 911 has remained unique for over 50 years, and endured with the same basic shape. It looks timeless to me too. I do not feel the same about any of their other vehicles. The 911 looks like the home run to end all home runs.

As an example, many of us as teenagers lusted for a Lambo Countach. One of those today just looks bizarre to me. But a 911 from the same time? Still holds it's age so well.

As far as Gold Lexus? Funny that my dislike for Palladium months ago (fine for the many who like it, just not my taste) was based on it looking like the same color on all the Camrys on the road. Same Toyota color...

BTW--This comes from someone who owned 3 VW bugs in his life. Yes, the shape is marginally similar. But vastly different.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Ok, I wasn't quite in my childhood, but when I was transferred to CT in '71 in a technical sales position, I stopped at Chinetti's in Greenwich and saw my first Dino 246 GTS. OMG did I want one. Never realized that dream - my first German marque was a used '69 MB 280 SL, which I restored and sold. 30 plus German cars followed, my first Porsche was a white 1987 911 targa w/ skirts and whale tail. Scared myself (and wife) half to death in it on a rainy day, on a curvy N CT road, in '88. Owned 3 four wheel drive 911's after that, then much later my Cayenne GTS and my current Macan S. I realize Lexus only made it's debut in early '80s, but can anyone honestly say they 'lusted' for a Lexus? I know they're high quality cars, and over the years, I've recommended Toyota and Lexus to many friends who've asked if they should get a BMW or MB. But lust? Anyone who tells me that, I say Google the new RC F, for example, and tell me this is a snout you can lust after. Or drive down my street and look at the plethora of RX-300, 330, 331, 332, 333, 350, etc. in gold, silver, and titanium. Geeeesh. Lust? This car may be the single biggest reason ED pills are so popular.:eek:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Ok, I wasn't quite in my childhood, but when I was transferred to CT in '71 in a technical sales position, I stopped at Chinetti's in Greenwich and saw my first Dino 246 GTS. OMG did I want one. Never realized that dream - my first German marque was a used '69 MB 280 SL, which I restored and sold. 30 plus German cars followed, my first Porsche was a white 1987 911 targa w/ skirts and whale tail. Scared myself (and wife) half to death in it on a rainy day, on a curvy N CT road, in '88. Owned 3 four wheel drive 911's after that, then much later my Cayenne GTS and my current Macan S. I realize Lexus only made it's debut in early '80s, but can anyone honestly say they 'lusted' for a Lexus? I know they're high quality cars, and over the years, I've recommended Toyota and Lexus to many friends who've asked if they should get a BMW or MB. But lust? Anyone who tells me that, I say Google the new RC F, for example, and tell me this is a snout you can lust after. Or drive down my street and look at the plethora of RX-300, 330, 331, 332, 333, 350, etc. in gold, silver, and titanium. Geeeesh. Lust? This car may be the single biggest reason ED pills are so popular.:eek:
ED meaning European Delivery, of course. Lexus DOES NOT OFFER EUROPEAN DELIVERY!!;)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
An older neighbor had a newly bought green convertible Mustang 350. I must have been about 13, he 20 or so. When that thing was fired up the whole neighborhood shook. Never before or since have I heard such a growl. I remember hearing it and quickly going to the window in my room, wich overlooked the street to catch a glimpse.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What was my childhood dream?

Well, I'd probably say it came from Matchbox, in the form of a red E-type Jaguar. And I think I still have that particular ~50 year old beat up much loved red Machbox floating around, somewhere.

During more formative (puberty) years, I don't really remember there being any car posters. Nor of women, either. Come to think of it, I'll have to go look to see what they were mostly of. I do recall that one poster (which I still have rolled up in the attic) was NASA's 3ft x 12ft
For things automotive, I came to realize & appreciate that the American 'Muscle Car' scene was mostly about drag races, not the finess of handling. The Teutonic part kicked in and got reinforced with the purchase of a VW Scirocco shortly after College graduation. Insofar as the Porsche Dream, my first clear memories of any was a lusting for a 924 while only being able to afford to buy the Scirocco.

Around a half decade later, a summer toy car came into consideration, shortly after seeing an utterly beautiful E type convertible in BRG with tan leather interior ... and a "GULP!" on cost. Looked briefly at a '63 Coupe (Silver/Red interior)...at the local Porsche dealer, which is what probably really prompted me to start to actually consider Porsche in earnest. Started looking at 914's (cost) but somehow came across the '85 911 Turbo Look at the right place, time, etc ... and with the recognition that even a great 914 still wasn't a 911. Got permission from the boss to double my 'toy' budget.

And I still have that car - - even drove it to work this morning.

--------------

Now for the Macan,

My Daily Drivers since that ancient VW Scirocco have all been cousins of the Porsche 924/944 family hatchbacks ... but in actuality, were less expensive suggogates thereof. It really wasn't until this past year that I actually realized this has my behavior over all these years.

The last surrogate was a 2002 Mercedes C-Coupe (yes, the little MB hatcback), which I started to crank up my car research circa 2010 for its replacement. Didn't like what I found in the market, so I deferred. 2011 arrived ... still did not like anything that I was finding in the market. Ditto 2012, Ditto 2013 (wife starts more strongly nagging me to replace my car), Ditto 2014 (& she's getting louder). Didn't really want to go smaller & downscale to a GTI, so the short list were some BMWs ... but all of these had runflat tires (& other shortcomings) and the Audi Allroad (despite it costing more than the Q5)...

...and the light at the end of the tunnel was the Macan or the Mercedes GLA. Waited for the CLA to hit the car shows, only to find that it had runflats too, so the Macan was the logical choice. Its bigger than I really wanted, and more than I really wanted to spend, but it has served well -- biggest complaint is that its 1"-2" too high for my petite wife's entry/exit, as well as the same for my Mom (who's now 86 years old).

-hh

21 - 33 of 33 Posts