Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Another AutoGeek customer here, but also have respect for detailersdomain. Between the two of those, and Griots Garage, you should be covered for anything related to keeping things tidy and polished.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I shop from both

Advantage of Autogeek is that they have sales so often

15-20 percent sales year round

And 25 percent off sales on special occasions.

Free shipping is pretty much all the time (unless the sale states otherwise)

What does everyone use for detailing?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just had 2nd wash, and the 303 Aerospace protectant maintained it's dark "satin" look on the black (Lava?) trim. Used to use Meguiars or Mothers vinyl/rubber protectant, but now really like this 303 after a friends recommendation. Did Wolfgang clay bar and 3.0 paint sealant, and finished with Collinite 845. The 19" Design wheels take some time. Now time to enjoy...will pass 1,000 miles today.

View attachment 14105

View attachment 14113

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Just had 2nd wash, and the 303 Aerospace protectant maintained it's dark "satin" look on the black (Lava?) trim. Used to use Meguiars or Mothers vinyl/rubber protectant, but now really like this 303 after a friends recommendation. Did Wolfgang clay bar and 3.0 paint sealant, and finished with Collinite 845. The 19" Design wheels take some time. Now time to enjoy...will pass 1,000 miles today.

View attachment 14105

View attachment 14113
Thanks for posting, that side blade looks sharp, I knew about 303 Aerospace but never used it before. Based on feedback from other members and moderators :), I have it now in my arsenal.

·
Registered
161 Posts

View attachment 14105

View attachment 14113
Did you mask off the black side blade and/or rocker panel when you applied the paint sealant and Collonite? Did you apply the 303 to the black parts before the paint sealant?

I know some products are are bad for the black parts so I plan to mask them off before applying paint sealant but wondered if that is overkill/necessary.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Did you mask off the black side blade and/or rocker panel when you applied the paint sealant and Collonite? Did you apply the 303 to the black parts before the paint sealant?

I know some products are are bad for the black parts so I plan to mask them off before applying paint sealant but wondered if that is overkill/necessary.
I applied the 303 as soon as I took delivery. It seemed to provide somewhat of a "barrier" to a slight overstep of the wax...just wiped right off. I didn't mask...just was careful. Neither Wolfgang nor Collinite formed that typical white residue typical of many waxes...closer to Zymol which leaves essentially no residue. I've heard Collinite lasts longer than Zymol....we'll see.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I applied the 303 as soon as I took delivery. It seemed to provide somewhat of a "barrier" to a slight overstep of the wax...just wiped right off. I didn't mask...just was careful. Neither Wolfgang nor Collinite formed that typical white residue typical of many waxes...closer to Zymol which leaves essentially no residue. I've heard Collinite lasts longer than Zymol....we'll see.
Thanks,

I recently started using Sonax Polymer Net Shield and it hasn't left any white residue on anything. I plan to take the same course of action you did and treat the black parts first then just be careful.

·
Registered
128 Posts

View attachment 14105

View attachment 14113
GTF, thanks for the tip on 303! I took delivery of my Macan today and the first thing I did when I got home was apply 303 to the blades and trim. Definitely an upgrade over what I was previously using. Collinite 845 is the next project.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm just about to hit 1,000 miles on my Macan. Saturday it will get the drive throughcar wash for the third time. I got wheel cleaning supplies and exterior supplies from Griots for Father's Day. :)

What seems to be working so far, and this will be the second time doing it, is to use the Griots to clean the Turbo Design 19 inch wheels (as easy to clean as I thought, and one reason I got them, plus I like their look) first, rinse them off, and then drive to the car wash. Then, come home and use the Mitts from Griots to wipe down the residual water drops on the car. Then, I use the Griots disposable towels to wipe door jams, rocker panels, wheels, interior areas when the rear hatch is open etc. For me this seems to be a cross between doing it all myself, and just driving through the car wash and doing nothing else. And, my kids (so far) love using all the Griots stuff with me. I think this will be a regular Saturday morning ritual.

I do need to go through the interior and wipe it down. It's been pollen season here and that yellow stuff is settling everywhere, even inside the engine compartment. Time to wipe down in there too. Luckily I have Griots interior supplies too.

When one of my kids saw the wheel and paint clay he said "seriously dad"?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely check my wheels. I wonder if this type of damage is more likely (1) the wider the tires, and (2) the lower the tire profile is, meaning larger diameter rims.

Since my Macan has 19 inch wheels, not 20's or 21's I wonder if that means I'm less likely to have wheel damage since the there is more sidewall. And, while the tires are wider in the rear, they aren't that much wider. But, I won't know till I check.

Still, I'm going to check this. I wonder if the car wash will let me go in and measure their channels width with a tape measure? :D

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Wheel tracks are terrible, no doubt about that. Even if your wheels fit in the channel, they are still moving left and right when pushed by the roller.
If you must use an automated system, make sure it's touch-free and the kind where you drive into the wash yourself.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Check the inside of the wheels.

See post #168

SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal - Page 12 - 6speedonline.com Forums

This damage you will never know you had.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I started to take my Cayenne to the drive through wash with the guiding rails after about 8 months of ownership. After seeing this, I'm not sure I'll ever take the Macan. Yikes!
I'm glad for the heads up on possible wheel damage. I think each Macan owner needs to check out their car wash options individually. The link to the damaged wheel above was for a 911 (I think) not a Cayenne or Macan. And, we know nothing about the car wash that inflicted the damage.

I washed my Macan at a touchless car wash yesterday. Honestly, I'm more worried about the extreme high water pressure and that it might peel my Xpel coating on my hood.

Then I went over to my traditional car wash in my town this morning. But, first I crawled under my Macan and checked out all four wheels. Absolutely no damage to the rims or tires. I took this picture of a BMW about to go through the car wash and scoped the entire thing out. First, the track that the wheel goes in is quite wide, more than enough for the rear tires on a Macan. Second, it has yellow teflon plastic on both sides from the point where you first drive in, and continuing all the way through the car wash tunnel to the other side. With this teflon protection I think it is extremely unlikely that my Macan wheels could be damaged the way the wheels that the poster on SpeedLine Forums posted.

I think rather than overreact, each Macan owner should check our the car wash options in their area (if they want to use car washes) and make their own decision based on the equipment etc at those car wash choices.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.