Discussion Starter · #1 ·
post #19 on RL

I came across this today.

Reactions: jbdelac

·
Registered
2022 Macan S (ETA 09.02.2022)
53 Posts
That was a legitimately engrossing read. Thanks for sharing! Always thought that ionizer was a gimmick...

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too, until today when I read that. When I replace my Macan Cabin filter, I upgrade from OE Mann CUK 2450 to Mann FP 2450 (FreciousPlus). Has a third layer, "a special yellow bio functional coating, which contains natural polyphenol, and is designed to trap allergens."

I don't think ionizer was an option in 2015 when I ordered my 2016 Turbo. If it had been an option, I probably would have rolled my eyes & skipped it.

·
Registered
2022 Macan T (PN22I7J6)
123 Posts
I would option it if they placed the button where the Sport one is removed (when you order Sport Chrono).

My OCD just couldn’t deal with the out of balance console buttons as the Ioniser one is pretty “out there”…

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Been enjoying my ionizer for 2 years now, glad I got it!

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
81 Posts
I would option it if they placed the button where the Sport one is removed (when you order Sport Chrono).
My OCD just couldn’t deal with the out of balance console buttons as the Ioniser one is pretty “out there”…
That’s why I selected this option in MY21 GTS. Actually nice to know I didn’t just pay $390 to balance out the buttons. It’s actually useful and now seems like quite a bargain for what it does.

·
Registered
2020 2.0 Chalk/Black
115 Posts
Two days ago, I hit Recirc for the first time in a long time, and I noticed this message pop up in the MFD. My car does not have the ionizer option, so I wondered what this really is doing.

screenshot is from a 911 forum, but the Macan wording is the same:
Speedometer Font Gauge Odometer Trip computer

·
Registered
2020 2.0 Chalk/Black
115 Posts
Also, tbh, I don't really understand the explanation in that Rennlist link. Not that I dispute it, but there's a kind of "...and voila! something something technical-sounding" flavor:

"The module/ionizer installed on this "optional" package generates millions of reactive ions that rely on air flow to spread throughout the cabin and the HVAC system. These reactive ions are formed from hydrogen(in the air) and charged oxygen(at the modules electrode), forming hydroperoxy radicals(HOO-) that destroy biological contaminants. WTH does that mean? It means that mold, mildew, PM2.5, UFP, viral pathogens, industrial fallout, and numerous other air contaminants that WILL find their way into your cabin are eliminated."

"Destroy biological contaminants"? "Are eliminated"? How? Still doesn't explain.

My understanding of ionizers is that these negatively charged ions generated by the ionizer are introduced into the cabin. Their negative charge makes them attract and attach to particles in the air that cause smells. Things like smoke particles. Now these smelly particles are heavier, thus they fall to the ground, and are less likely to be noticed by your nose. That's how I understand it works. There's no scientifical magical HYDRORADICAL DESTROY!! action that happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We’ve had a couple really bad summers of wildfires here in Alberta where the air quality is horrible for weeks on end. My buddy has an ionizer in his Cayenne and WOW what a difference! Smoke smell was nasty outside and noticeable in my Audi’s but completely absent in his Cayenne after a few minutes. I ticked this cheap option without hesitation. Will pay for itself in no time I suspect…

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I invested in 3 different companies that produce ozone in different ways to kill food pathogens. You are not supposed to see or feel anything when the ozone machine is working. You simply test the food before and after the use of ozone and will see that Salmonella and Listeria are gone from the products. The biggest question with the ionizer in a car is how potent it is and if it is enough to kill the pathogens in the air. Ozone machines are used by rental cars to remove odors from their cars so if the ionizer on the Porsche cars can at least eliminate the mold odor from the AC that is worth the investment.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Notice that when the ionizer is energized the car goes to recirculate Is this the only way it will run? Recirculate is what causes the odor in car A/Csystems as the coil never has a chance to dry out. Mold then forms on the coil generating these odors which is commonly referred to as Dirty Sock syndrome.
Going to recirculate keeps all the air contained to the cabin. Ozone is not good for the lungs in high concentration and can be an irritation. So if operation is tied only to recirculating the cabin air your bring on the chance of continually shutting off the car with a wet coil and increased ozone. This operation will bring on the smells you are trying to eliminate.
In fact during the summer we get poor air quality warnings in AZ tied directly to Ozone. Another OP noted that the charged particles fall to the floor they actually attach to all the negatively charged surfaces. When this happened in home that meant the walls, which really showed when a wall hanging was removed It left a perfect outline.
if your sensitive to ozone I most likely would not recommend adding this to your car. This based on my experience the HVAC business for over 30;years. While the people are far and few it does effect the. If you’ve had an electronic air cleaner in your home that is the odor of Ozone same smell being in a lightning storm. Does it work at eliminating odors yes it can. If you want to not have the problem of sweaty sock in you car minimize using recirculate and shut off your A/C before shutting off your car. That is really important in a wet climate such as Florida as a wet coil grows mold and bacteria.

·
Premium Member
4,179 Posts
Notice that when the ionizer is energized the car goes to recirculate Is this the only way it will run? Recirculate is what causes the odor in car A/Csystems as the coil never has a chance to dry out. Mold then forms on the coil generating these odors which is commonly referred to as Sweatty Sock syndrome.
Going to recirculate keeps all the air contained to the cabin. Ozone is not good for the lungs in high concentration and can be an irritation. So if operation is tied only to recirculating the cabin air your bring on the chance of continually shutting off the car with a wet coil and increased ozone. This operation will bring on the smells you are trying to eliminate.
In fact during the summer we get poor air quality warnings in AZ tied directly to Ozone. Another OP noted that the charged particles fall to the floor they actually attach to all the negatively charged surfaces. When this happened in home that meant the walls, which really showed when a wall hanging was removed It left a perfect outline.
if your sensitive to ozone I most likely would not recommend it. If you’ve had an electronic air cleaner in your home that is the odor of Ozone same smell being in a lightning storm. Does it work at eliminating odors yes it can. If you want to not have the problem of sweaty sock in you car minimize using recirculate and shut off your A/C before shutting off your car. That is really important in a wet climate such as Florida as a wet coil grows mold and bacteria.
Do you have any back up sources to help with this information that you are sharing?

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Do you have any back up sources to help with this information that you are sharing?
Check consumer reports back when the Ionic Breeze was on the market. There was a large batttle fought in court which Ionic Breeze lost to consumer reports for claiming false information on their products effectiveness.

You might want to read post #12 as well, which states mostly the same information.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Notice that when the ionizer is energized the car goes to recirculate Is this the only way it will run? Recirculate is what causes the odor in car A/Csystems as the coil never has a chance to dry out. Mold then forms on the coil generating these odors which is commonly referred to as Sweatty Sock syndrome.
if your sensitive to ozone I most likely would not recommend it. If you’ve had an electronic air cleaner in your home that is the odor of Ozone same smell being in a lightning storm. Does it work at eliminating odors yes it can. If you want to not have the problem of sweaty sock in you car minimize using recirculate and shut off your A/C before shutting off your car. That is really important in a wet climate such as Florida as a wet coil grows mold and bacteria.
From my experience (as I said above I have invested in ozone companies) I would be surprised if the ionizer system on a car can be dangerous to anyone. To produce ozone in volumes that can be dangerous the machine had to be huge. I am talking sometimes a container size machine. The companies I was an investor in produced those machines. Even ozone machines used to clean smell on cars are larger units than what I imagine is inside a Macan. I imagine the ionizer that is in the Macan is a very small machine that only creates a few ions to reduce any mold smell in the AC. But I could be wrong. Mercedes also offers this option in their cars if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Breathing ozone is not a good thing....I would not want that option in my car!
Ozone does destroy bacteria and viruses, that's because ozone is a free-radical form of oxygen, which also harms lung tissue.
That's why the EPA set max allowed limits for ozone production from home ionization type air cleaners.

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
81 Posts
Notice that when the ionizer is energized the car goes to recirculate Is this the only way it will run? Recirculate is what causes the odor in car A/Csystems as the coil never has a chance to dry out. Mold then forms on the coil generating these odors which is commonly referred to as Dirty Sock syndrome...
My air recirculation mode does not go on when I use ionizer?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts