Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Macan S Sapphire Blue, Steel Built 02/20.
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a new build Macan S for next year delivery and had the financial services person give me a preview of the types of offerings that they have. Better to do it now, then at delivery time. Plus was told that the price is going up next year.
Will probably “self-insure” for tires and rims as I ordered 18 inch wheels for pothole protection.
Car has is pretty basic with steel, not air suspension.

But they want $2050 +tax for three years of scheduled maintenance, $3250 for four years.
And they want $3495 for the warranty extended two years.
I was told that otherwise the maintenance costs are about $500 year 1, $1000 year 2, $600 year 3 and a whopping $2300 to $2800 for year 4 service.
On this basis, a scheduled maintenance plan paid for upfront seems to make sense, but being a natural sceptic. I am wondering what others think and have experienced?? Are there any gotchas or exclusions?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.
John

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both retired now so probably no more than 10-12km a year methinks. We're going from 2 cars to 1. Will not exceed the mileage limit on the first 4 years of warranty and I understand that the 2 year extended is for unlimited mileage.

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
Those are typically prices. Negotiate more discount if you can.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand that those are prices (and the negotiation possibility), but are the costs of the yearly service inline with reality? I am trying to ascertain whether it makes sense from a financial situation. Is there are any savings in buying the package vs. just paying as I go........

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
At that price it’s worth the dealer service unless you go to an Indy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you replying to the maintenance package service aspect or the extended warranty?
Too much hassle for a warranty claim in the first 4 years if I had the servicing done at an indy I would think.

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
Maintenance plan. Warranty is the typical price too.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Both retired now so probably no more than 10-12km a year methinks. We're going from 2 cars to 1. Will not exceed the mileage limit on the first 4 years of warranty and I understand that the 2 year extended is for unlimited mileage.
Well, the three-year service plan seems a little high to me, but not overwhelmingly so. The four-year seems like a better deal. But again, it depends somewhat on mileage.

For me (2018 S) so far, and we drive a lot (33,000 miles in 26 months now):

10,000-mile service: US$0 (oil and cabin filter -- that first service is still free these days, right?)
20,000-mile service: c. US$600 (oil and cabin filter)
30,000-mile service: c. US$1,100 (oil, cabin filter, spark plugs, and brake flush, since car was c. two-years old)
40,000-mile service: c. US$Big Bucks (regular stuff and PDK?)

This is all at the local dealer, and all figures include 8% tax.

Yeah, I know, the cabin filter is easy, but if it's included in the service, why bother. And I'm old and non-nimble enough that if I got down on my back and squirmed around, I'd pull a muscle or something, so it's not worth it to me.

And folks change their own oil, even flush the PDK themselves, or use indies, yada yada. To the issue at hand, however, i.e., the question you posed regarding pre-paid service at a dealership (if I understand your question correctly), those figures seem reasonable to me, especially the longer one, and especially if you wind up driving it more than you think you will. If you really wind up driving what you think, the pre-paid figures may be a little more than you would wind up spending.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Too much hassle for a warranty claim in the first 4 years if I had the servicing done at an indy I would think.
That's exactly what they want you to think. There are federal laws that clearly state a vehicle manufacturer cannot require maintenance be done at an authorized dealer. In fact, not long ago they fined BMW because some Mini owners manuals merely implied this. In the last 20 years I have never had a dealer service department even question where I had the car serviced.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I understand. Maybe start off with dealer, then switch to an indy.
Anybody in the GTA that folks can recommend?

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
If you’re just a bit handy, you can do cabin air filter, oil change, brake fluid flush and spark plug change.

That leaves only PDK fluid change to an Indy or dealer. My 4 years maintenance cost total less than $1500.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're so funny! I could do the cabin air filter, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
Haha guess you’re not handy with cars, or never did much car work yourself.

I have done all those on my other cars before and Macan is really the same.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I'm not handy with cars. Don't have the space or the tools. But I do have other talents...

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
Good for you with other talents!

My point is most Macan’s maintenance work is exactly the same as other cars. No need to go to dealer for those services and get ripped off.

Reactions: Jaylmw08

·
Registered
186 Posts
My dealer maintenance costs (north NJ):
10K (year 1) $360 oil
19K (year 2) $1,300
25K (year 3) $360 oil + $1,800 new tires/mount/align
32K (year 4) $1,800 dealer + $166 self engine/cabin filters (+ extra $400 if filters by dealer)

So, a bit over $4K for 4 years of maintenance, not including tires (shocked they wore out so fast, but these can't be rotated after all).

Depending on your region, the four year scheduled maintenance may seem cheaper, but consider TVM (Time Value Money) from Econ 101: Same value money now is worth more than in the future.

1. Having invested that $3,250 (+ say $250 tax value) 4 years ago in S&P 500 fund would now be worth $5,740.
2. Dealer will suggest you roll in the prepaid service into your loan, which makes it like #1 in reverse (doubly bad).
3. What happens if the car is totaled or sold? 4th year service is the most expensive, so prorated refund or transferring to new buyer would mean wasted money.
4. Check the fine print (does it cover ALL parts/labor including flushes and filters).

2 year extended warranty, on the other hand, may be worth it for peace of mind, but it's more of a reverse lotto. And again, investing that $3,495 now compounding for 6 years should be able to cover any major issues in years 5-6, and you'll have that investment money (and then some) BACK in your pocket to further invest and available for years 6+.

This is assuming no extended recession, but that money you didn't spend up front may end up coming in handy while living out of our Macans!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for your detailed response. I have decided to skip the dealer's maint offer. Will try to get year 1 maint thrown in today, otherwise will try the indy route and only visit the dealer for warranty items.

Will hold off on the +2 year extended warranty decision until year 4 to see how things have been going with reliability and potential problems (thanks to this forum!)

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
All new Macan's come with free first service from Porsche.

Reactions: carsly and Jaylmw08
1 - 20 of 49 Posts