Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I hardwired a dash-cam in my Macan. I used driver side fuse location A10 ( refrigerant pressure sensor) with a add-a-circuit adapter. Driver side location A8 (Rear BCM) would work as well. These locations will turn the dash-cam on at start-up and off at shutdown.

The link is a review of the unit I bought.

From a previous post I may have seemed disappointed with my Macan and it was true up until a few days ago. The throttle felt connected to the engine by way of a satellite uplink and the brake pedal felt mushy. Two days ago all that changed. The throttle is suddenly immediate and the brake pedal has stiffened with much more feel. I have no explanation for the change, only it has transformed the driving experience and made it so much more Porsche like. It's more like a softer sport mode but still very responsive. And this happened after having 7200 miles.

Remember, turn signals are not optional.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd also be very interested in seeing your installation (wiring, materials etc). I'm considering getting a camera just b/c of all the stories of people getting into fender benders has gotten me paranoid. That and all the russian fail videos.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Installation

I used a cigarette lighter socket and a Littlefuse FHA200BP to make the power connection.

Here's a link to the items on Amazon

I will try to take pictures soon but they won't show much. I tucked the lighter socket and power supply convertor into a tight little spot behind the fuse panel.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I ran my V1 power wire behind the door opening trim where it meets the A-pillar trim so no wiring is exposed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I was wondering what people have been going for re dashcams. As far as I can see the no. one on the market seems to be the 'BlackVue DR600GW HD' however I am looking for somethinga s bespoke as possible (i.e. no wires and no retro-fit look!!)

I have comes across this product ([iconCam] Porsche Macan Panamera Cayenne Dash Cam - Kammu.com) - has anyone had any experience with this?

What are people generally going for?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Anyone familiar with this? Thoughts?

https://www.waylens.com/360/
I have shopped dashcams for several years now but have never bought one since they have all seemed to have too many deficiencies. This is the first one that actually looks worth purchasing to me, largely because of the 4G capability to remote-monitor your vehicle. Looks like the 4G model is just out recently. Otherwise it has to connect to your phone to view anything.

Sounds alot like ADT's Pulse app for your car--you fire up the app and can see what's going on with the car even if you're 3 states away.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have shopped dashcams for several years now but have never bought one since they have all seemed to have too many deficiencies. This is the first one that actually looks worth purchasing to me, largely because of the 4G capability to remote-monitor your vehicle. Looks like the 4G model is just out recently. Otherwise it has to connect to your phone to view anything.

Sounds alot like ADT's Pulse app for your car--you fire up the app and can see what's going on with the car even if you're 3 states away.
I've considered a few as well and never found the sweet spot. The biggest deficiency I see on this one is the rear view, which to my knowledge, has only been successfully pulled off by adding a second camera. If mounted in just the right spot, we may be able to get a glimpse, but who knows? I wish we could tap into the rear view cameras we already have and "link" the two. Thankfully, most problems/collisions in the rear are automatically blamed on the other driver for following too close. I may have to see if Santa will drop one of these off at the house.

·
Registered
447 Posts
iPhone users may want to check out the OWL Cam. It has 4G (through AT&T first year service included) connectivity, allows live viewing, and "incident" alerts to be sent to your phone. It has front and inside car cameras which get a pretty good picture of the side windows. It does get a view out the rear window but it's nearly useless (at least the way I have the cam mounted). The feature that got me to finally get a dash cam is that it draws power from the OBD port so it's easy to install cleanly and took less than 5 mins.

Technically it supports both iPhone and Android but the Android app doesn't currently support wifi direct connectivity so all video must be viewed/downloaded via the 4G connection (no removable storage or USB support) which is painfully slow. I am an Android user and AT&T service at my home is awful so my personal experience has been mixed so far for the 2 weeks I've been using it. I've never used any other dash cam so I can't compare the image quality to others however I've found it to be acceptable in most lighting conditions.

https://owlcam.com/

·
Registered
40 Posts
iPhone users may want to check out the OWL Cam. It has 4G (through AT&T first year service included) connectivity, allows live viewing, and "incident" alerts to be sent to your phone. It has front and inside car cameras which get a pretty good picture of the side windows. It does get a view out the rear window but it's nearly useless (at least the way I have the cam mounted). The feature that got me to finally get a dash cam is that it draws power from the OBD port so it's easy to install cleanly and took less than 5 mins.

Technically it supports both iPhone and Android but the Android app doesn't currently support wifi direct connectivity so all video must be viewed/downloaded via the 4G connection (no removable storage or USB support) which is painfully slow. I am an Android user and AT&T service at my home is awful so my personal experience has been mixed so far for the 2 weeks I've been using it. I've never used any other dash cam so I can't compare the image quality to others however I've found it to be acceptable in most lighting conditions.

https://owlcam.com/
Thanks for the note and holidays present idea! after you install it, does it protrude a lot on front of the windshield, I mean does it bother you when you are driving, looks awkward ? Used to have a cheaper HD dash cam in my xc90 Volvo and installed it all the way on the top middle section of the windshield. It was powered through a USB/cigarette lighter socket so was not ideal. Although was wifi connected to my iPhone, not the easiest/fastest interphase to use. I rarely use it now. Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
It comes with a few mounting options. I went with the shortest/lowest mount which sits just over the dash and don't find it intrusive. I'm out of town for the weekend but can post pics Monday when I return.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It comes with a few mounting options. I went with the shortest/lowest mount which sits just over the dash and don't find it intrusive. I'm out of town for the weekend but can post pics Monday when I return.
thanks would be helpful to see real pictures

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
If you look on youtube for the channel vortexradar, he is one of the acknowledged experts on dash cams and radar detectors. He gets right to the point and his tests are excellent. He also tells it like it is. He tested the waylens after having initially reported on it at SEMA in 2017. He gave it a big thumbs down as it was a blurry mess. I believe the company claimed it was defective and sent him another one.

After reading this thread, I really think you guys are looking for a jack of all trades and are just asking too much. One comment above mentions how they've been researching dash cams for over a year and have yet to buy as they have deficiencies.

I ask you, what product is perfect? Now, I may be the perfect forum member, but obviously they broke that mold. ;) ;)

I have 3 dash cams, One was highly rated on Amazon and worked fine. About the size of a miniature playing card with a screen on the back of it. I then went with the cigar tube shaped Blackvue, first in 1080, the 4k. I don't feel a rear cam is needed, but YMMV. These work very well. As for being notified remotely, useless. If you are nearby, what are you going to do, come running out like a lunatic and either kill someone for breaking into your car, or perhaps get killed?

Also, as for location, there is only one really good place for it. (As an aside, I should mention the first dash cam I had was not one of the three above. It was the one that replaces the rearview mirror trim on the Macan. It is THE most stealth camera you can get. The app is a bit wonky though. The developers and producers of it are Chinese and don't really speak English well so there's a lot of problems with communicating with them.

Do a search on rennlist.com for dash cam and you will find Alex's post and where he put it. or pm member alex_c. He's a member here and there. he installed his dash cam on his 911 T right under and behind the rearview mirror, which is also pretty stealth. It will fit perfectly snugged up under a blend mount radar detector mount.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts