Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been doing some research and have decided to install the Blackvue 9500 2 ch into my Macan. Even after looking at all the posts, still nervous about doing it myself.

Any lead on a good reasonable installer in the Seattle greater area? Or if you have a link to a detailed install guide for our Macan, it would be greatly appreciated. All the YouTube and prior write up are informative but lacking in details - I think the assumption is that one knows a bit about trim removal, etc. which I do not trust myself to do without breaking stuffs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you mean the Blackvue DR900S? I have this model and installed the front camera, rear camera install pending. You can tap power from the fuse cluster on either side of the dashboard, very simple, no trim removal other than the cover for fuses. There are DIYs here for the camera, and if you look up Valentine 1 install there are great DIYs on how to tap power. Also see here: 2 CH Hardwire Dash Cam Install

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup - that is the one. I'm trying to decide between the regular vs the ultra battery pack as well. Do you have pics of the front camera installed?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am not particularly handy and I installed mine in about an hour.
Front cam across the right side of the front headliner, Rear can across the right side headliner, battery under the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For sure, that is very generous of you. Will definitely take you up on this. I'm thinking of adding a Cellink NEO battery pack and putting it in the back too. Did you do a battery pack or just hard wire?
I installed mine quickly and I live in Redmond if you want to swing by to take a look and get some pointers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I installed front and rear ( there is a write up somewhere in the forum).
I ran the rear wire tucked above door / roof trims. The roof lining at the rear hatch can be levered down with a trim tool without complete removal to get the wire through. I also left remaining excess wire coiled above roof lining.
The Flexi connector pulls from the body and the hatch and the wire fed through. I fed a stiff wire through the flexi and taped the camera wire to it and then pulled camera wire through..
The hatch lining can be partly removed, enough to get the wire through to the camera.
Don’t insert trim tool too far when removing hatch trim as there are electronics attached to the glass. About half inch in with the trim tool is ok.
I also used a small round file to make a groove for the camera wire so the trim would sit flat when put back in place.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It’s seriously easy to install. Just tuck the wires along the headliner. The headliner is quite strong and forgiving. Along the door seals, you just tuck the wires under the seals. You can’t really mess up.

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
Trim removal kits are available on Amazon for little money - and they make a real difference over
the screwdriver prying (Snap! Oops!!) method...

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Blackvue, which I have in 2 of my vehicles, make good cameras, not great cameras. Unfortunately no dash cam manufacturer that currently exists makes a great camera. They all have their faults. The main issue with the Blackvue, aside from license plates not being clear on many occasions (and if you don't believe me, just check Vortex Radar on YouTube and you will see comparisons) which is really not important to me so long as the picture is reasonably clear, even the 4k I'm speaking of, is the software and the app for Blackvue are not good. I'm not saying other companies are better as I don't have experience with them.

1. Want 4k? You are limited to, if I'm not mistaken, 1 minute clips. that's a real PIA when trying to find something you want to download.

2. It's a whole rigmarole to go into the app to change settings such as recording length.

3. I never really saw a need for a rear cam. Install is much easier if you don't bother with that.

4. I never saw a need for it to work when parked, though I guess if you park in sketchy places perhaps. Though really, if you're not there, so big deal, you have a recording of something happening. Are the cops going to open a major investigation into it and track down the culprit? Hardly.

If you lived near me, I'd install it for you in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These posts are giving me encouragement to do it myself. A couple of questions - can I just “tugged” the wire around the A pillar as it contains the airbag. I need to do this to get the wire from windshield to door trim. Also, what about using the fuse box in the rear R side as the power source. I was thinking of putting a battery in there as well as plenty of room.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
So long as you don’t cross the actual airbag with the wire you are fine. I just did a dash cam install on my M5. I popped out the plastic piece that says airbag on the A pillar. There was a 10 mm torx bolt under it. Unscrewed that and was able to carefully remove entire trim piece. Airbag was right there running vertically. Just tucked wire up and behind it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
When you are driving an awesome vehicle such as a Macan, near is coast to coast, from the mountains to the prairies.
Okay, when conditions improve, let me know when you're in the mood for a trip to Albany. Free lunch, dinner, beer breaks, etc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You’ll mostly be running along the door seal. At the top there is a break in the headliner and airbag pilar that you can cross to get to the top of the windshield.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Jumping in one this as I've been wanting to do these for awhile now.
@911owner I'm in the same boat as you, so if you happen to jump into this, do you mind taking pictures of the process along the way? That would help tremendously! 😄

1 - 20 of 23 Posts