Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gulf Coast of Florida: Stations around here get $0.60/gallon over the price of regular, but I found a Thornton's (don't know if that is a national chain) that charges $0.50.
I recall a recent post by @MDJAK that was somewhat less.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Here is Southern Wisconsin it's mostly $0.70-.80/gallon more than regular. A few stations charge a $1.00/gallon more. Only Costco and a few other stations charge $0.40-.55/gallon more than regular. I try to fill up at Costco as much as possible. Using their free credit card saves you an additional 4% on each gallon.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Yes, Costco by me currently is 2.69 for regular, 2.89 premium. Best bargain in town. Their premium is cheaper than regular just about everywhere else.

·
Registered
209 Posts
yup, I only fill up with Costco 93 in all the vehicles since it's relatively close by and I enjoy the people there (Costco has only been in my area for about 3 years). From what I've heard, their fuel is top tier and is right up there with Shell v-power. Not sure what the specific prices are around here, but I wanna say it's about $3.25ish but it might be slightly higher. The fuel attendant there is great... He knows exactly when I stop by with each vehicle and it makes for some good conversations.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
I don't even look at the regular but I am getting Super at 2.69 - 2.99 . There are stations inn the mid to high 3's but I know where to shop.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
I just paid $2.86 today in Panama City at Sam's Club (regular was $2.66). In Jacksonville yesterday, I paid $3.05 at Mobil and regular was $2.75. That's unusual and only at one place at the beach. Most other stations are $.20 higher for Super, but the same for Regular as that station.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I always use Costco due to they carry Top Tier gas and are and always seem to be the lowest price. Currently premium is $2.99 a gallon down $.06 cents a gallon after the Fourth of July holiday surcharge. Regular is at $2.65 a gallon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Majority of the time I fill up on Tuesdays with Shell which is currently running at $3.09 a gallon and is nearby. Why fill up on Tuesday? $0.20 a gallon off on Tuesdays so on that day only $2.89 a gallon.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just gassed up this AM at our local COSTCO Regular at 2.77 and premium at 3.19, that's a .42 up-charge. Last Friday it was about 0.39 difference.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Price of premium gas

just read that premium gasoline that we use in our high performance vehicles may be going up next year as much as 72 cents a gallon
that is a substantial amount in NY/NJ area I average between $3.30-$3.75 now
just saying that some of us will feel it
just my 2 cents

·
Super Moderator
7,113 Posts
just read that premium gasoline that we use in our high performance vehicles may be going up next year as much as 72 cents a gallon
Where does this come from? That's not what I read. Bloomberg https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/premium-gasoline-cost-set-to-rise-as-cleaner-fuel-rules-play-out/ar-AAFc6j0

"Drivers of those cars could be paying as much as 72 cents more per gallon for premium gasoline than regular next year. AAA has the current spread between regular and premium at 58 cents."

Boldface is mine. Did you see this somewhere else? The price of Premium is not rising 72 cents. They are talking the spread between regular to premium rising 14 cents. For 20 gallon fillup thats $2.80. I bet you spend more than than for a cup a coffee every day. ;)

Most American won't care one bit. Only 10% of cars on the road use premium. But here's what they don't tell you. Why don't they tell you this? Regular is a $2.71 nationwide. Looking as the EIA gasoline prices adjust for inflation, gas today is cheaper than 40 years ago, cheaper than 2008, cheaper than 2012 NOT as cheap as the 90s. Its very hard to complain about the price of gas compared to just 5 years ago. Just saying. We got it pretty good in 2019 and its only going to get cheaper as oil fields in ANWR start producing.

I've merged this thread with the Regular vs Premium Spread thread unless someone points to a source stating premium will rise 72 cents regardless of the spread between regular and premium. For all we know, even with a 72 cent spread, the price of premium could be lower in 6 months than today.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I recall in the 60's in our area, "gas wars" and buying regular at $0.179/gallon. Heck for a buck I could drive my VW bug all week!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I only take my cars to Costco for gas. I am lucky I have one less than 1 miles from my house and their prices are unbeatable. You can check their gas prices on their app. As of today, their Regular is $2.44 and Premium is $2.74. Premium gas at the gas station very close to Costco is $3.12.

·
Super Moderator
7,113 Posts
Where does this come from? That's not what I read. Bloomberg https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/premium-gasoline-cost-set-to-rise-as-cleaner-fuel-rules-play-out/ar-AAFc6j0

"Drivers of those cars could be paying as much as 72 cents more per gallon for premium gasoline than regular next year. AAA has the current spread between regular and premium at 58 cents."

Boldface is mine. Did you see this somewhere else? The price of Premium is not rising 72 cents. They are talking the spread between regular to premium rising 14 cents. For 20 gallon fillup thats $2.80. I bet you spend more than than for a cup a coffee every day. ;)
What is this all about. You learn something new every day;) So I learned about alkylates, not a particularly interesting subject. Alkylates are a gasoline blend with low sulphur content. EIA Alkylate US production capacity rises slowly.

https://stratasadvisors.com/Insights/2019/021419-North-America-Alkylate-Outlook Report says US imports some. Remember, only 10% of gas is high octane.

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/oil/100217-feature-gucci-grade-alkylate-arrives-in-well-stocked-us-gulf-coast-market From 2017. They call it "Gucci" Gas :laugh:

From the EIA, the spread between regular and premium gas HAS been increasing https://www.eia.gov/analysis/octanestudy/

"Between 2010 and 2017, the U.S. average retail price difference between premium gasoline and regular gasoline doubled, from approximately $0.25 per gallon (gal) to $0.50/gal. However, in the 15 years before that period, from 1995 and 2010, the U.S. average premium to regular price spread increased $0.05/gal."

:eek: Whats going on? The East Coast spread is greater than the West Coast spread.

"no major shifts in U.S. gasoline consumption have occurred, and consumption shifts were unlikely to have been significant contributing factors in the increasing premium–to–regular retail gasoline price differential."

OK, so? Full report https://www.eia.gov/analysis/octanestudy/pdf/octane_study.pdf I don't think they came to any conclusion. :confused:

https://www.governorsbiofuelscoalition.org/philadelphia-refinery-explosion-to-boost-gasoline-prices/ Fire at Philly refinery

"Of particular concern was that the explosions hit the alkylation unit"

I can find no other reference anywhere saying that alkylate pricing will increase dramatically other than the recent fire.

·
Super Moderator
7,113 Posts
Here is a better article from C&D on the price spread https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15340616/why-high-octane-gas-costs-so-much-more-than-regular/

Its misleading to think of only*"premium" cars needing high octane gas. Cheap Turbo 4s require it as well. But if you read it, I think they come to the same conclusion as the EIA. There doesn't seem to be a reason for the spread increasing.

Predictions - very hard to do.

"The latest Tier 3 standards enacted this year have cut gasoline sulfur levels to 10 parts per million, which mirrors the Environmental Protection Agency’s 2010 requirement for ultra-low-sulfur diesel. ... the EPA released an analysis of low-sulfur costs on the refining industry and concluded that any increase in gas prices would be “less than a penny per gallon”"

14 cents or a penny?

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Lowest that I can recall was $0.199 at a Sunoco station
Come to think of it we got down to around that too. I was dating in my mother's 1963 Ford Country Squire station wagon. It had a 427 CID engine and got about 10 mpg. I needed all the help that I could get.

Side story . . . My mom always wondered why her rear tires wore out so fast. >:D

Then some years later - when I was a traveling salesman - we almost ran out of gas in North Carolina. I drove a Pontiac Grand Prix. :| Gas was rationed. That sucked. :(

I hate to see the price of gas go up but since I have retired I don't have to put very many miles on a car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts