Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. I just bought mine 2 days ago. I also have Active Safety and it makes me wonder whether there is an on off switch I should now about. I didn't understand what you meant about smoke affecting its ability to work. Where was the smoke from?

So I really want to know. Do we have to make sure something is on and are you sure your was on or is it automatically on? Can it be turned off?

Again...sorry for your loss. If you end up teaching the rest of us, you might save one of our lives. If it was on, maybe Porsche can look into it. They can study these things.
Replying to my own post, I went to play around and I see there is a simple on and off for the Active Safe. I made sure mine is on. It is.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Thanks you everyone for your support and comments! The accident that happened in front of my wife (car that spun) was not her fault but the offer said it was her fault for rear ending someone and gave her a following too close ticket. We’re getting an attorney for that since that wasn’t the case and she said he didn’t listen to her and was being difficult. If it is totaled we’re going to build one and dealer said it’ll take about 3 months which isn’t too bad. If it’s not totaled then I’ll see about trading it in but also depends on the value they give me for it but we will all know next week what’s the verdict. I’ll keep you all posted!
Be sure that it's "3 months" . Porsche production right now is dismal . My dealership told me "it's Covid related at the factory" (they are ahead of us in variants and behind in vaccine roll out) . My friend (different state and Porsche VIP buyer) told me "semiconductor chip shortage has now hit Porsche" but he's in for a 911 . I am not sure if this applies to the Macan. Either way cars everywhere are tight to none .

·
Premium Member
2021 Macan GTS
113 Posts
Any word from the insurance adjuster on your Macan S as far as "repairable" or "totaled"? I hope they total it for your benefit.
Jamie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Far from it in my opinion. Get a “new” used hood($400), aftermarket Bumper($300), and new radiator ($100) and that should be a good start. Hopefully you are handy enough or know someone that can help you save on labor.
My girlfriend crashed mine in similar fashion last week. I’m not even going to bother with my $1000 deductible and fixing myself. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Far from it in my opinion. Get a “new” used hood($400), aftermarket Bumper($300), and new radiator ($100) and that should be a good start. Hopefully you are handy enough or know someone that can help you save on labor.
My girlfriend crashed mine in similar fashion last week. I’m not even going to bother with my $1000 deductible and fixing myself. Good luck!
Mine was drivable, minus the leaking radiator. I drove it home about 1/2 mile. Will upload pics

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine was drivable, minus the leaking radiator. I drove it home about 1/2 mile. Will upload pics
Mine doesn’t look as bad but same general body parts are damaged. Also it’s a base so radiator and other front mechanicals may be less expensive. The shop was figuring around $7k. Again, all the best and good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
DUM, DUM, DUUUUUUUM!!!

Man oh man its been so long I have to say state farm moves at the pace of a snail. After 2 months they finally have a sheet detailing the full amount, so far, of the repairs. 30k is the figure, or 29,XXX. No visible frame damage but the repair shop is going to be placing it on a frame measuring device to ensure all is well but if it has frame damage it will be totaled. The engine as we know is ok, the suspension as we know it is also ok. big items besides body work/paint are radiator, headlights, pulleys and so forth. I wont place the sheet up just in case insurance issues so once the repair is done, or if they total it out, ill post up exactly what parts and how much they cost.

Here is a picture after it got torn apart.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im sorry this happened.. I dont think you want that car back if they fix it. It will never be right. How do I know? I worked in the auto body repair industry way back. When a car is hit it very hard to get back to factory tolerance and you can not duplicate factory paint from Porsche.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Im sorry this happened.. I dont think you want that car back if they fix it. It will never be right. How do I know? I worked in the auto body repair industry way back. When a car is hit it very hard to get back to factory tolerance and you can not duplicate factory paint from Porsche.
Yea I agree but money is money and if they end up fixing it I also don’t want to loose 5-7 thousand by trading it it. We’ll see what happens and if they fix it how much I’ll get as a trade in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I understand FULLY. I’ve had some seriously nice cars and when they got in accident I couldn’t keep them. I’m sort of anal and just fixate on things. **** I’m looking at the way the top of my 15’ S hood clears passenger corner near windshield and wondering if Porsche build quality or accident lol. It will all work out I’m sure. Insurance companies really aren’t Into rebuilding German cars. It cost too much in labor and causes quality issues that return to the shop continually for free. Shops don’t want to do it, insurance doesn’t want to pay it cause worth more almost in parts. It’s a crap shoot but odds in your favor. Best of luck regardless, honest.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
... Insurance companies really aren’t Into rebuilding German cars. It cost too much in labor and causes quality issues that return to the shop continually for free. Shops don’t want to do it, insurance doesn’t want to pay it cause worth more almost in parts. ...
This cannot be true.
Insurance companies have no choice but to fix a car that they have insured (unless they total it) Does not matter of it is German or not.

Body shops want to fix cars bc that is how they make $.

You must have had bad experiences with bad body shops.

·
Premium Member
2018 Macan Sport Edition
145 Posts
Here's my opinion... and it's not fact, just opinion...

• If a car is on the borderline between repair or write-off, I suspect the insurance company would rather write it off and be rid of it, rather than dealing with an owner who might be quite particular about the repair.
  • Any repair estimate is just that, an estimate, and actual repair costs can end up considerably higher, so the insurance company needs to anticipate that.
  • With desirable vehicles the salvage value can be quite high. Bidders at an insurance auction would include dismantlers who base their bid on the value of the parts they can salvage, along with rebuilders who know they can cut corners and rebuild to a visually acceptable standard, get a rebuilt title, sell and make some money.
  • Even reputable rebuilders can rebuild a vehicle cheaper than the usual body shop estimate, as it can be done in off-hours without any owner bugging them to get it done. This is why rebuilds often have appealingly low miles, as they've been off the road for a while during the rebuild process.
Like I said, these are only opinions, and there may be industry experts who might disagree, but for what it's worth I thought I'd make these comments.

Two examples in my recent past:
  1. Not totalled: Ford Edge belonging to my daughter-in-law had a small impact from behind. Barely noticeable. Repair estimate came in at $4500, market value of the vehicle (undamaged) would have been about $9000. Repair was authorized. Hidden damage and replacement of a slightly bent exhaust brought the repair cost up to $8500 by the time it was all done. The repair was done well and the car is as good as before (aside from an $8500 repair on the Carfax), but the insurance company would have made out better with a write off.
  2. Totalled: My Cayman GTS was sideswiped by a distracted driver. To me it looked repairable but after the body shop advised to write it off, the insurance company gave me a generous pay out. Win, win, win it seems... I got more than market value, the body shop didn't have to deal with my repair expectations, and the insurance company got to wipe its hands quickly. I don't know if it ended up dismantled or rebuilt... sometime I'll have to run a Carfax on it and see.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Insurance companies have no choice but to fix a car that they have insured (unless they total it) Does not matter of it is German or not.
I think what Schu3507 is implying is that insurance companies have a greater tendency (and incentive) to total a badly damaged German luxury car due to the cost of the parts needed to repair the vehicle. This tends to make totaling a better financial decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just heard from the repair facility after they put the car on the frame alignment machine. It has frame damage and suspension damage that they previously didn’t know about. I’m thinking it may be totaled at this point. I’ll keep y’all updated as I here more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think what Schu3507 is implying is that insurance companies have a greater tendency (and incentive) to total a badly damaged German luxury car due to the cost of the parts needed to repair the vehicle. This tends to make totaling a better financial decision.
YES!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just heard from the repair facility after they put the car on the frame alignment machine. It has frame damage and suspension damage that they previously didn’t know about. I’m thinking it may be totaled at this point. I’ll keep y’all updated as I here more.
I have to believe if frame is bent it will be total loss. That and suspension parts cost will be over the top. Right now they are pricing out parts to sell Vs buy. That car as it sits is worth more in useable parts then repairing. A repair facility will buy use parts to fix other cars, then sell in a state will less strict repair/car fax laws. You will see a 2016 macan in new hampshire for like 18k less then others on the market. Now we know why. Now this is just my opinion and experience in the industry and consumer.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts