Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Macan Sport Edition
145 Posts
Repairable I think, just unbolt damaged parts and replace. My guess is no frame damage. The hood is an expensive part, but looks like the headlights survived. The parts behind the plastic bumper fascia and grille should be replaceable.

Since it's a pretty new car I'm guessing they will repair. And other than the diminished value I think the driveability should be fine after the repair. But sometimes insurance companies will write-off the vehicle in order to sell it at auction for a decent price... and then they don't have to worry about satisfying an owner who is stuck with a repaired car.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I believe it's totaled . If however the insurance decides otherwise you still have to dump it . It will, NEVER be the same . I would get a multiple estimates (if not totaled ) and put it on a tow truck and (with estimates in hand) trade it in . I have done it twice . It is the most liberating feeling and it does not cost as much to do it as you might guess .

You just happen to be picking a time when no one has cars , used prices are soaring , and discounts are few to none . In short you can't be too picky . Just take the best that you can find and be done .

Sorry to hear this . It's sucks and is an inconvenience . It will cost some time and a little money to reset things and you may not end up with an exact car but this now event will be a fading memory.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Oh goodness! I am so happy to hear that your wife was not hurt to bad.

I am with everyone else, if your insurance doesn’t total the car, I would get rid of it in a heartbeat. But I have a sneaky feeling your insurance company is going to total it. I will be very surprised if they don’t,

I went through what you are going though about a year ago, but I was rear ended and my damage didn’t look to bad until they took the bumper off.

I guess I was lucky to find a build slot with a good discount and I waited half a year for my new one.

Good luck on your search for a new one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
So sorry for your accident but thankfully no one was seriously hurt! If it were me I would want it totaled. As mentioned above there is just no idea how extensive the damage is on the underside and the car might never be the same after the repair. Good luck, cars can be replaced easily. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. I just bought mine 2 days ago. I also have Active Safety and it makes me wonder whether there is an on off switch I should now about. I didn't understand what you meant about smoke affecting its ability to work. Where was the smoke from?

So I really want to know. Do we have to make sure something is on and are you sure your was on or is it automatically on? Can it be turned off?

Again...sorry for your loss. If you end up teaching the rest of us, you might save one of our lives. If it was on, maybe Porsche can look into it. They can study these things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It’s going to depend on the insurance company too. They look at the value vs salvage potential. Most german cars can fetch 50-60% salvage so even if the estimate is low they can end up totaling it. If they do make sure to get a copy of your policy and check for an appraisal clause. They’ll probably offer you off of “CCC” which is very hit or miss. The appraisal clause let’s you hire an appraiser and force them into an accurate price.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
So did anybody determine who is the responsible party here? Who is paying the bill for this mess? It wasn't your wife. She was a victim in this case. What you need to accomplish is a side show because you have in addition to the damage a diminished value claim. Your loss was more than the cost of the parts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dang. At least you were in a good solid chunk of German engineering or could be worrying about a different kind of body damage. Any frame damage most likely would totally it but a harder choice would be if they don't. Tough hit to fix.

Hope your insurance treats you right in any case.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Given no airbag deployment and it being a 2021 model, I think it is fixable. Looks like just hood, fenders and front bumper. Everything from A-pillar back looks fine, but will have to check frame. Really surprised the front air bags did not deploy based on look of the damage.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I assume you took it to the body shop that your local Porsche dealer uses.
My guess is 30K+ depending on what parts in the front engine compartment are damaged.

I am guessing from your user name it is a 2021 Macan S. Your car value (b4 crash) would be based on options & mileage.

I'd suggest checking KBB, NADA & Black Book Value among other places.

Once you get a good idea of the range of prices you could have reasonably expected to get, had you sold it the day b4 the crash, You can use the configurator to do some builds. You can also check dealer prices for uses Macans that seem close to what you want.

Once you know what it cost for new vs. used you can then decide if you want to keep it, after it is fixed & what totaled price/settlement you will accept from the Insurance company.

It will not be repaired in a couple weeks. this will take some time.

If you order new, you will need a rental.

Or, insurance pays for rental till your car is fixed & then you drive that until your new car is delivered & then you either sell it yourself or trade it in. "Diminished value" will have an impact on the price you can get.
So, in addition to insurance paying to fix it you may wish to try to get an additional cash settlement from them for DV.

Good luck.

Reactions: Paul125

·
Registered
424 Posts
Get it fixed and sell or trade it.

I have yet to see a shop that can get a Porsche back to pre wrecked status. Or anything that isn’t a BOF truck, for that matter.

Unless it’s a track car and you don’t care if it rattles or it’s not 100% straight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks you everyone for your support and comments! The accident that happened in front of my wife (car that spun) was not her fault but the offer said it was her fault for rear ending someone and gave her a following too close ticket. We’re getting an attorney for that since that wasn’t the case and she said he didn’t listen to her and was being difficult. If it is totaled we’re going to build one and dealer said it’ll take about 3 months which isn’t too bad. If it’s not totaled then I’ll see about trading it in but also depends on the value they give me for it but we will all know next week what’s the verdict. I’ll keep you all posted!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Thanks you everyone for your support and comments! The accident that happened in front of my wife (car that spun) was not her fault but the offer said it was her fault for rear ending someone and gave her a following too close ticket. We’re getting an attorney for that since that wasn’t the case and she said he didn’t listen to her and was being difficult. If it is totaled we’re going to build one and dealer said it’ll take about 3 months which isn’t too bad. If it’s not totaled then I’ll see about trading it in but also depends on the value they give me for it but we will all know next week what’s the verdict. I’ll keep you all posted!
I'm going back about 30 years or so here:

I (we'll call me Car C) was following a car -- let's call that Car B -- on an Interstate, in the middle of three lanes. Car B was also following a car -- we'll call that Car A. So, in a row, from front to back, we have A, B, C.

Car A blew its engine, or radiator, or something. In any case, there was a pea-souper: a THICK cloud of white smoke, with zero visibility, extending from behind Car A all the way behind Car C.

I'm not sure what happened to Car A; I think it just continued down the road, or what. Car B, whose driver couldn't see shiite, stopped. This is in the middle lane of an Interstate, recall.

I couldn't see for shiite, either, including that Car B had come to a complete stop. I quickly slowed WAY down, perhaps to 20 mph or so. I was reluctant to just stop, lest I be plowed into, by someone following me (and for some reason, I hadn't been paying attention, lack of situational awareness, etc., regarding whether there was, or wasn't, any traffic behind me).

So, it didn't take long before I came to a stop, by way of hitting the back end of stopped Car B. I was extremely worried that someone would do the same to me next, but -- just out of luck, I guess -- nobody did. And a minute or two later, the white fog dissipated in the breeze, and our two stopped and damaged cars, C and B, were clearly visible to any other traffic.

I relate all this because it seems somewhat similar to your wife's situation. I was never sued, didn't receive a ticket, etc. So, best of luck to you and your wife.

·
Registered
286 Posts
First post is told in first person but we soon learn OP was not there. I would suspect assigning blame for this accident will be difficult since none of us including OP witnessed it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
First post is told in first person but we soon learn OP was not there. I would suspect assigning blame for this accident will be difficult since none of us including OP witnessed it.
Not necessarily. Maybe the same forum name is used by both husband and wife. Kind of like with some couples how both become pregnant at the same time. Thank God for each of our children, only my wife got pregnant. It would have taken forever for me to lose that baby weight.

In any case when visibility is reduced to near zero you should stop and make sure your flashers are on. If possible pull off to the shoulder. Remember some, if not al of our Macans also have rear fog lights. They should be on also.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
In some (many?) states in the US, if the vehicle you're driving impacts the vehicle in front of your vehicle, the state determines
the operator of your vehicle bears liability - even when it seems unreasonable to make such an assumption. Something to the effect
that you're supposed to, "maintain full and complete control of your vehicle at all times".

·
Registered
424 Posts
It’s not NASCAR, you don’t go fast into the smoke cloud hoping the crash has drifted away into the banking.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
If there was smoke and your wife couldn’t see anything in front of her how can the officer assume she was following the car in front of her too close? That is my biggest problem with officers when they decide they know everything and you have to keep quiet and listen to their BS. I would be scared with the accident and pissed for crashing a brand new car so the last thing I needed was to have to listen to an office blame me for what happened.

Reactions: RDuSol and Glock19

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm going back about 30 years or so here:

I (we'll call me Car C) was following a car -- let's call that Car B -- on an Interstate, in the middle of three lanes. Car B was also following a car -- we'll call that Car A. So, in a row, from front to back, we have A, B, C.

Car A blew its engine, or radiator, or something. In any case, there was a pea-souper: a THICK cloud of white smoke, with zero visibility, extending from behind Car A all the way behind Car C.

I'm not sure what happened to Car A; I think it just continued down the road, or what. Car B, whose driver couldn't see shiite, stopped. This is in the middle lane of an Interstate, recall.

I couldn't see for shiite, either, including that Car B had come to a complete stop. I quickly slowed WAY down, perhaps to 20 mph or so. I was reluctant to just stop, lest I be plowed into, by someone following me (and for some reason, I hadn't been paying attention, lack of situational awareness, etc., regarding whether there was, or wasn't, any traffic behind me).

So, it didn't take long before I came to a stop, by way of hitting the back end of stopped Car B. I was extremely worried that someone would do the same to me next, but -- just out of luck, I guess -- nobody did. And a minute or two later, the white fog dissipated in the breeze, and our two stopped and damaged cars, C and B, were clearly visible to any other traffic.

I relate all this because it seems somewhat similar to your wife's situation. I was never sued, didn't receive a ticket, etc. So, best of luck to you and your wife.
Thanks for your story. It reminds us that smoke is not so simple for those who say when you see smoke just slam on the brakes. Your idea is perfect...slow down but not a complete stop. It's all crazy because I'm thinking of what to do in the future under such a situation.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts