Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if this is not the proper thread, this is my first post

Hello all-

Today I returned to my vehicle to find my rear windshield cracked. It doesn't appear the someone tried to break in, and it certainly didn't happen while I was driving because I would have noticed in my rear view mirror. I am curious if anyone has had a similar experience? Or, what do you think happened? (Photos below) The only thing I can think of is rocks falling off of a passing truck. There is no damage to the body whatsoever, strictly the rear windshield.

Are there any specifications I need to insure the new windshield has such as anything with the wiper or defroster? I was quoted between $1000-1300 USD for the Porsche window, but only $495 USD for an after market window and they said it has the defroster, but is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you for reading my post, all input is appreciated/wanted!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now that is rare. 2 bullseyes though. ? vandalism
Thanks for the response!

What do you mean by bulls eyes? The circular breaks? Sorry if that makes no sense. Also, what leads you to believe it is vandalism? What am I missing?

Thanks

Edit: If the small dots in the cracks is what you are indeed referring, there are five of them total.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Sorry if this is not the proper thread, this is my first post

Hello all-

Today I returned to my vehicle to find my rear windshield cracked. It doesn't appear the someone tried to break in, and it certainly didn't happen while I was driving because I would have noticed in my rear view mirror. I am curious if anyone has had a similar experience? Or, what do you think happened? (Photos below) The only thing I can think of is rocks falling off of a passing truck. There is no damage to the body whatsoever, strictly the rear windshield.

Are there any specifications I need to insure the new windshield has such as anything with the wiper or defroster? I was quoted between $1000-1300 USD for the Porsche window, but only $495 USD for an after market window and they said it has the defroster, but is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you for reading my post, all input is appreciated/wanted!
What sort of glass coverage does your insurance have?

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you have 5 stars or bullseyes its vandalism no questions about it someone with a bb or pellet gun shot at your window. I would file a police report

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What sort of glass coverage does your insurance have?
They told me it is LYNX who I still need to call. $500 deductible. That's all I know as of now. The only reason I am waiting to make that call is to see what great people like yourself have to say on these forums.

(Sorry if that's not what you're asking I've never dealt with this before)

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Anyway this is yet another reason for Porsche to offer a factory installed camera front/rear as an option. There are options for virtually everything else after all.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Anyway this is yet another reason for Porsche to offer a factory installed camera front/rear as an option. There are options for virtually everything else after all.
Is a camera going to be helpful for an insurance claim? Only if it is running while the occurrence is underway. Has a camera helped anyone here? My little star crack came from nowhere. I didn't even know it happened, but my passenger did. She said "I think your windshield just broke" and I could not believe it. She was right.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I also think this was caused by vandalism or stray gunfire; either small caliber (.22) or BB or pellet gun.

See what the police think. File the police report. Tell them where it was parked & when you noticed the damage.

Good luck, your insurance should cover this.

$500 deductible is very reasonable to get an OEM replacement from Porsche... installed correctly.

Reactions: rasetsu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is a camera going to be helpful for an insurance claim? Only if it is running while the occurrence is underway. Has a camera helped anyone here? My little star crack came from nowhere. I didn't even know it happened, but my passenger did. She said "I think your windshield just broke" and I could not believe it. She was right.
Some dashcams work when the car is on, some work when there is motion in front of the car while the vehicle is parked. To my understanding a 24/7 camera is expensive and drains your battery but I am all for someone proving me wrong because I told myself to get dashcams, and I clearly didn't.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Some dashcams work when the car is on, some work when there is motion in front of the car while the vehicle is parked. To my understanding a 24/7 camera is expensive and drains your battery but I am all for someone proving me wrong because I told myself to get dashcams, and I clearly didn't.
The dashcam can be set to turn on after the first stone has moved the car ! We don't automatically think bullets in Australia since no one has a gun in order to shoot one down here. :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
They told me it is LYNX who I still need to call. $500 deductible. That's all I know as of now. The only reason I am waiting to make that call is to see what great people like yourself have to say on these forums.

(Sorry if that's not what you're asking I've never dealt with this before)
Yep, I wanted to get a feel for your coverage, out-of-pocket expense, that sort of thing.

You may want to read my report from almost three years ago:

This had to do with replacing the front, not back, glass, but there's a discussion of OEM vs. other glass vendors, a few links to other threads (in which posters had aftermarket problems), insurance coverage costs and dealing with companies, sensors, and so forth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts