Porsche Macan Forum banner
161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thank you. Just took my car to the dealer and referenced this bulletin, they had no issues once they saw my mid-pipe bracket sheered off. They replaced both exhaust pipes coming out from the downpipes(with the flex connectors). Interesting enough they did not replace the mid-pipe. If the mid-pipe bracket is cracked they would have replaced it, but since it sheered off they didn’t. I didn’t really care since they addressed the root cause of the issue. Rattle free! This was all under CPO warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,
I recently starting hearing a loud whistling noise (literally sounds like someone blowing a whistle) coming from the rear whenever I accelerate normally around 1300 RPM. This only happens when the car is in drive and happens when I'm both decelerating and accelerating. It's not all time time, but it is often, and it appears to happen more when it's warm out. Any ideas on what it could be? I had a dealership look at it and they didn't find anything but there's no way everything is normal because this is quite loud and annoying (you can clearly hear from inside the cabin. 2015 Macan S w/ 32k miles. The only things I can think of is maybe a bearing somewhere or maybe the valves in the exhaust getting stuck?

·
Super Moderator
3,426 Posts
Based on your post in the Cracked Exhaust Bracket thread, it sounds like you've found the source of this issue. I posted a response there as well.
FWIW, I had posted several months ago about a Jake Brake type of sound, with some vibration, accompanying
my Turbo on deceleration ~1200 RPM. When it was in the shop recently, I took the tech for a test drive to try
and demonstrate it. The history was that the mid-pipe was replaced a couple of years ago because the bracket
was cracked and rattling. Then, almost a year ago, it was in tor the TCC oil leak. At that time, someone cut the
bracket off. And around that time I started noticing my Jake Brake "friend". I asked the tech about my car's
downpipes and said that I'd read they have to be replaced. He replied that there were two types of downpipes
and the earlier design had a pleated section to absorb vibration and the newer type used a braided stainless
section.

It turned out my car already had the braided stainless flex connection and he replaced the mid-pipe section.
Guess what? No more Jake Brake noise! The tech also said the bracket is supposed to be there and that cutting it
out or off allows for vibration (the Jake Brake like noise) when there is supposed to be only very limited vibration.

...end of thread hijack...

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Update: The noise doesn't happen in 1st gear, very briefly happens in 2nd (just a chirp) but is really loud/prominent in 3rd + video-1584036632_Trim.mp4
Based on that recording, the rpm range, and the 2015 model year, I suggest you have your dealership look at the exhaust and consult technical service bulletin TI 20/16 2601.

You can read some of the more recent posts about this issue in the following thread......

Cracked mid pipe exhaust plate bracket

Best of luck getting it sorted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do have that problem as well (the rattling) but it isn't as bad so I figured this was unrelated because I didn't think the exhaust can have that chirping noise, but I have an appointment to take it in on the 24th, we'll see what they say. I'll relay this feedback as well, thanks.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I too had this after warranty. Dealer quoted something like $2k to replace the entire downpipe. Went to my indy shop and they welded it back for under an hour of labour. We agreed that since these brackets are close to the hanger, they probably have some structural purpose.

Anyways, I could get this fixed every year for the life of the car and it would still be cheaper than replacing the whole downpipe...

·
Registered
37 Posts
My note from the dealer today states the same TI 2601 "Problemsolving sounds: exhaust pipe replacement (sounds around the exhaust system SY2016)".
The document mentions that the issue is solved as per production date 26.06.2015. The problem originates from lack of dynamic stiffness in the brackets shown combined with lack of "damping" the movements in the exhaust.
New part numbers to be used are 95B.253.553.E and F plus 95B.111.220.10.
This just happened to our ‘18 GTS so maybe not entirely solved. Using that bulletin they replaced our down pipes. Part numbers are different from those above: 95B253533 H and J plus PAB253115 seal as well as the 95B11122010 clamping sleeve.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
that's really odd then. I cannot recall of seeing anyone having this issue, except for 2015 & 2016 (some)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Macan S, out of warranty. The metal vibration noise has happened twice about a year apart. The first time the dealer just removed a bracket and all was well. The second time a local Porsche mechanic removed another piece of bracket along the exhaust and all was well. So far I am shedding brackets and it seems to be working. Maybe next time they will remove the entire exhaust system and all will be well...

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
Not only well but even better with more exciting sound. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hope it's not too late to revive this thread but I need some advice relating to this issue.

2015 S with 50000 miles. Had the flex joints replaced by exhaust shop and mid pipe bracket welded back but recently noticed a light but noticeable woo-woo sound from the exhaust at idle and low rpm (below 2000) while driving any speed. It sounds like the whole exhaust system is wobbling but the bracket is still fine. Had a knocking sound briefly on a terrible road which implies the pipe is moving quite a bit but I'm not sure which section.

Anyone have this problem and/or know of a non-dealership solution? Is it worth adding another bracket somewhere?

Replacing the downpipes will be a $4000 plus exercise here in South Africa and if that's the only option, I'd go aftermarket anyway. Labor costs are still prohibitively expensive especially if the engine needs to be dropped to access the downpipes.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The root cause is the woven flex connectors to the engine being out of spec and too stiff and transferring too much movement and vibration to the down pipes. There is a procedure that your dealer should be able to find that involves replacing the two flex connectors with ones that follow the original design spec. It's listed in PIWIS. Otherwise the problem will reoccur.
Hello! Looking for some help on this issue with a 2018 Porsched Macan S. We're on our third replacement of the midpipes for this issue. Porsche's answer is just to keep replacing the midpipes. Has anyone been successful with completely resolving the issue and what was the ultimate solution. I mentioned this post about woven flex connectors and they looked at me like I was an alien. It's still under warranty but I'm certain it's going to need replacing again. When they removed the bracket while waiting for the assembly the exhaust doesn't seem to be as secure as when the bracket is intact. Thanks for any help.
[QUOTE="gir, post: 2094353, member: 20234"

·
Registered
3 Posts
This I received earlier via SoCalS5 (post 142):
Based on your description, the exhaust seems like the most likely suspect. My invoice said the mechanic consulted TI Bulletin 20/16 2601....so you might try directing your dealership to that. Even if they can't find that number, they should still search for a technical service bulletins for the early production exhaust system.

My note from the dealer today states the same TI 2601 "Problemsolving sounds: exhaust pipe replacement (sounds around the exhaust system SY2016)".
The document mentions that the issue is solved as per production date 26.06.2015. The problem originates from lack of dynamic stiffness in the brackets shown combined with lack of "damping" the movements in the exhaust.
New part numbers to be used are 95B.253.553.E and F plus 95B.111.220.10.

Hope this helps.

Interesting to state the issue is solved, as my Macan S is 2018 and this is my third mid pipe replacement. I'm going to show the dealership this post.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Interesting to state the issue is solved, as my Macan S is 2018 and this is my third mid pipe replacement. I'm going to show the dealership this post.
Do you do a lot (or any) off-roading?

I’m interested, because I also have a 2018 S (delivered to Atlanta PEC in Oct. ‘17), with 55,000 miles on it now … and no such problem (that I know of). I did have a valve-cover leak that was repaired under warranty, though, so go figure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you do a lot (or any) off-roading?

I’m interested, because I also have a 2018 S (delivered to Atlanta PEC in Oct. ‘17), with 55,000 miles on it now … and no such problem (that I know of). I did have a valve-cover leak that was repaired under warranty, though, so go figure.
Hello! No off roading. In fact only 24k miles as it’s a 3rd car. It’s been babied. Third replacement of mid pipe assembly in three years.

161 - 177 of 177 Posts