Porsche Macan Forum banner
141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
You can custom make a bracket at any good exhaust shop.

Reactions: Shark

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Just another data point for those owners who experience this exhaust bracket failure.....

I dropped-off our 2015 Turbo earlier this week for its 60k service, front brake pads, brake fluid flush, and 4-wheel alignment (first time for each). I also reported a metallic vibration / drone occurring around 1100 rpm, and asked them to check for a failed exhaust bracket. The service advisor called later to confirm the exhaust bracket was cracked, and that they'd already inquired about good will repair coverage from Porsche. Otherwise, the repair would be about $1600 given that the car was 6 months out of warranty. The dealership asked if they could keep the car overnight until they got their answer, and I agreed since I had a Base loaner car.

Got another call the following day saying Porsche approved the good will repair (parts and labor), and that they were just waiting on parts. Repairs were completed around noon of the third day, and it drives and sounds like a new car again.

Don't know whether Porsche would do the same for a second owner, or whether approval is easier when it's a highly optioned car, but it's worth a shot. I was very pleased with how proative the dealerhsip was, and how it was all handled without any fuss.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just another data point for those owners who experience this exhaust bracket failure.....

I dropped-off our 2015 Turbo earlier this week for its 60k service, front brake pads, brake fluid flush, and 4-wheel alignment (first time for each). I also reported a metallic vibration / drone occurring around 1100 rpm, and asked them to check for a failed exhaust bracket. The service advisor called later to confirm the exhaust bracket was cracked, and that they'd already inquired about good will repair coverage from Porsche. Otherwise, the repair would be about $1600 given that the car was 6 months out of warranty. The dealership asked if they could keep the car overnight until they got their answer, and I agreed since I had a Base loaner car.

Got another call the following day saying Porsche approved the good will repair (parts and labor), and that they were just waiting on parts. Repairs were completed around noon of the third day, and it drives and sounds like a new car again.

Don't know whether Porsche would do the same for a second owner, or whether approval is easier when it's a highly optioned car, but it's worth a shot. I was very pleased with how proative the dealerhsip was, and how it was all handled without any fuss.
‘Always nice to hear about a reputable service department - dealership.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Don't know whether Porsche would do the same for a second owner, or whether approval is easier when it's a highly optioned car, but it's worth a shot.
Of course it's because they know you are SoCalS5 on macanforum.com :D

Reactions: SoCalS5

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey guys,

My 15’ Macan S started making unexpected whistle(?) noise after let go on gas pedal quickly from accelerating.
It’s currently at very mild level but things would only get worse I assume and want to get it fixed before it becomes more headache.
I parked and revived to duplicate this whistle noise after quickly having foot off the gas pedal after reviving to 1000 - 2000 RPM.
Turbo shows 0 psi when doing this.
It has 33K miles on it with verything is stock except for BMC air filters.
Here’s a video clip I took.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone has any thought?
Based on some search I have done, it could be oil separator, diverter valve, or something else.

Thank You, guys!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thats something i have never replaced but it sounds like an oil separator!

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
The air /oil separators are very easy to get your ear to......have someone rev for you :)

2016 Macan T

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just replaced oil separators and the problem was something else as the noise is still there.
Could this be a diverter valve or something related to turbo?
On hwy, when I really push it, I can see PSI going up to 7-8 psi but if I go for normal driving, it stays at 0 psi.
Is this normal?
Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's been about 5 months since I bent/broke off the cracked bracket off of exhaust pipe.
Recently, I started hearing some noise that sounds like worn-out alternator belt or heavy whistle like sound when I revive to 1200-2000 RPM ish and let go on gas quickly. At first, I thought it was bad oil separator or diverter valve and replaced oil separator but it was not the problem. I had my wife step on gas on/off while i was checking here and there and I heard noise was from downpipe. Upon taking a closer look, when engine revives, there is some vibration on down pipe. I grabbed a rubber mallot and pushed it down on the downpipe while my wife was stepping on gas pedal. Well, it was no longer making that noise. Upon doing this, it appears that the problem is the loose downpipe unless there is some other cracked/broken bracket.
Has anyone run into similar issue?

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
.....Recently, I started hearing some noise that sounds like worn-out alternator belt or heavy whistle like sound when I revive to 1200-2000 RPM ish and let go on gas quickly.....Has anyone run into similar issue?
My exhaust also made a noise similar to a slipping alternator belt. The fix was to replace the downpipes with their updated design. You can read about my recent experience in post number 142 above.

Since this is a known issue on the 2015's and early 2016's, there's a chance Porsche will replace the downpipes as a good-will gesture. It's worth a try. Although I could have lived with it, the car is much more enjoyable to drive after having the replacement work completed.

Best of luck getting it resolved. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
I just replaced oil separators and the problem was something else as the noise is still there......
Based on your post in the Cracked Exhaust Bracket thread, it sounds like you've found the source of this issue. I posted a response there as well.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mine had it too, they said it has two brackets and removed the one that was cut. They didn't weld it, they said it was ok with just one bracket. They also said it was a common fault. I have a friend who also had a Macan Turbo and it happened to him too.

Porsche refused to pay for the repair, even as my Macan is under warranty. They said past 4 years they no longer fix it for free. At least it was rather inexpensive and the noise is gone. We'll see how long this lasts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
SocalS5, Thanks for the input. I took it to a local shop, put my Macan on a lift and found that it was a bracket that holds two exhaust pipe located on upper side. I had no idea that such belt slipping sound could be from cracked bracket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, did have the same issue; talked with SoCal about it and today the dealership confirmed the issue of the bracket plus the service bulletin existing on it. Upon registering the issue at the Porsche importer the system quickly came back with the result - no coulance offered since out of (extended) warranty and age of the car (2014 Turbo with 74 K KM). Cost of replacement 800 EUR for the material and 400 EUR on labour, incl VAT 1400 EUR. So I will go for the quick fix over the weekend and see what this brings. If it fails over time, I can still decide to exchange the downpipes.
Will let you know how it ends, KR Ben

·
Registered
3 Posts
This I received earlier via SoCalS5 (post 142):
Based on your description, the exhaust seems like the most likely suspect. My invoice said the mechanic consulted TI Bulletin 20/16 2601....so you might try directing your dealership to that. Even if they can't find that number, they should still search for a technical service bulletins for the early production exhaust system.

My note from the dealer today states the same TI 2601 "Problemsolving sounds: exhaust pipe replacement (sounds around the exhaust system SY2016)".
The document mentions that the issue is solved as per production date 26.06.2015. The problem originates from lack of dynamic stiffness in the brackets shown combined with lack of "damping" the movements in the exhaust.
New part numbers to be used are 95B.253.553.E and F plus 95B.111.220.10.

Hope this helps.

141 - 160 of 177 Posts