Porsche Macan Forum banner
121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
Ask Porsche for goodwill to fix it. You are only at 34k miles and the issue is well documented.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Based on my experience, remove/cut out that plate bracket and do nothing else. The two mid pipes would not touch without the plate anyway. You may hear the exhaust making slight sound if you are driving on real bad / rough roads; otherwise, go with it and see

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Bobblehed, take a look please at these 2 welds....are these in the vicinity of the mid pipe issues ? I have a small vibration noise at Start up, at around 1K RPM.

Thanks !

2016 Macan Turbo

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
This is the midpipe bracket (your second picture). I had it fail and replaced under warranty 4 times on my first Macan turbo. Once the down pipes were replaced with the last repair, it was fine. If car is out of warranty and dealer will not good will replace it, I would just bend or clip off the bracket. It has no structural function and is to keep the two pipes together prior to installation on the car

Reactions: kdragt

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Thanks MBR. Does that weld look good to you ? Functional, I am no weld expert.

Has this been welded after delivery in your opinion......meaning it did not leave the factory “welded “ or they come welded , thx

2016 Macan Turbo

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Thanks MBR. Does that weld look good to you ? Functional, I am no weld expert.

Has this been welded after delivery in your opinion......meaning it did not leave the factory “welded “ or they come welded , thx

2016 Macan Turbo
Weld looks factory. Mine usually broke next to one of the welds and sometimes looked ok visibly but crawl under the car and tap on the bracket with a wood broom handle to see if it rattles or you can try to bend/flex it by hand. The rattle drove me crazy when it broke so i bent it to stop the rattle until I took it to the dealer for replacement

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Thanks, obviously I can’t bend that :)
Looks to be a good weld ......hmmm.

Maybe my rattle is not from this location ?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
The hanging bracket is not the primary problem. Like @mbr said, it’s the second pic as there is a top and bottom plate to that pic 2. You should take a look at the top plate to ensure it hasn’t cracked.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
This is the midpipe bracket (your second picture). I had it fail and replaced under warranty 4 times on my first Macan turbo. Once the down pipes were replaced with the last repair, it was fine. If car is out of warranty and dealer will not good will replace it, I would just bend or clip off the bracket. It has no structural function and is to keep the two pipes together prior to installation on the car
Just curious, i.e., no suspicion of a problem with my car: do you have any thoughts on why it failed so much on your car?

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
So there are 2 of these mid pipe brackets huh ?
I will have to look for the other.
Thanks Mbr

2016 Macan Turbo

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Just curious, i.e., no suspicion of a problem with my car: do you have any thoughts on why it failed so much on your car?
Not really sure other than the down pile angle must have been off enough to stress the mid pipe. Once the down pipes were replaced with the last mid pipe replacement I had no more problems

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys. I just took delivery of a 2015 Turbo on Thursday and immediately noticed this issue. I'm thankful to have found this forum and more specifically, guys like yourselves documenting the issue and including photos.

I got underneath and verified that the bracket is partially cracked and since it's out of warranty, am going to remove it. Hopefully this completely absolves the rattle and doesn't open a can of worms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2015s @ 28k miles Under the car look aft of the center door frames. there is no splash guard in the area of the mid bracket. so, this bracket is designed for holding the twin exhaust in place along the assembly line. if you have this on your car it WILL likely eventually fail by 50k miles from normal movement of exhaust in this particular stress point. when the weld fails it is very noisy and the dealer should remove it OR charge you a fee to "fix" perhaps several hundred dollars or more for new pipes. imo here are images of the best option for this bracket. JUST bend/cut it off. See the pictures in the previous post of how it looks prior to removal. It is very small, only about 3 inches x 3 inches. cheers. PS this is known in the service industry as a "manufactured opportunity"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Thanks for the write up and pics ;)

I see another same like bracket directly above it though......I think that one can fail as well ??

Bobblehead may know.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the write up and pics ;)

I see another same like bracket directly above it though......I think that one can fail as well ??

Bobblehead may know.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm having the same issue.
It happened right after my warranty ended and dealership tried to fix it for me by asking Porsche NA for a possible exception to stretch out warranty but it was denied.
They quoted me roughly $1800 to replace mid pipe. I said no.
Like Teddis mentioned, there are two brackets.
Would removing one cause the other to weaken and possibly break, too?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
There is a top and bottom plate holding the two pipes stable so they wont move. It’s just a support mechanism, not to worry if you decide to just cut off both plates. The minor down side is you may hear the pipes may make some noise when driving on real rough roads.

I had the plates removed by the dealer the first time it happened and I had no noise issue for nearly 3 weeks while waiting for Porsche Canada to review my case and order the parts.

The cost of $2,000 is about right amount as quoted unfortunately and I certainly would not pay this if it happens to me today

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
Would an exhaust shop be able to fix it?

121 - 140 of 177 Posts