Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2015 Turbo. Delivered July 2014. Current mileage 17,000km.

My car is exactly one year old and in recent month, I noticed a metal vibration underneath my car and I thought it may be screws or rivets of the heat shield are loose and need to be tightened. I went to my dealer this past Saturday and here is what the tech found ....

So, if you guys hear something abnormal underneath your car (metal vibration noise), then you should have it checked out. Right now, dealer needs to request warranty permission and instruction on how to fix this ? re-weld the top and bottom plate and hope it will hold or complete exhaust pipe replacement (not the mufflers)

·
Registered
317 Posts

My car is exactly one year old and in recent month, I noticed a metal vibration underneath my car and I thought it may be screws or rivets of the heat shield are loose and need to be tightened. I went to my dealer this past Saturday and here is what the tech found ....

So, if you guys hear something abnormal underneath your car (metal vibration noise), then you should have it checked out. Right now, dealer needs to request warranty permission and instruction on how to fix this ? re-weld the top and bottom plate and hope it will hold or complete exhaust pipe replacement (not the mufflers)
They won't replace the whole exhaust? Seems kind of on the cheap side for them to want to re-weld instead of replace.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer does not know what to do without warranty instruction from Porsche Canada here. Tech guy says the re-weld may not be suitable at all.

Right now, I am just going to wait for a hear back from my dealer. At least the mechanic bent the cracked steel up a bit to prevent the pipe from vibrating. It was annoying for the last couple of weeks and at least I know now.

I am thinking the pipe would cost about $500 + labor of $250 ?? at most. see below - part # 4

http://www.jimellisporscheparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1272027&ukey_make=1058&ukey_model=20266&ukey_category=20120

They won't replace the whole exhaust? Seems kind of on the cheap side for them to want to re-weld instead of replace.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's under warranty as dealer has suggested. i am just suggesting if Porsche Canada is to replace with new mid pipe and labor reimb. to dealer, then that's how much it would cost Porsche Canada for the warranty claim. A re-weld of the two plates would probably be $100 (band-aid fix).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Gotcha. Hopefully, they make a determination quickly.

But while they're doing that, any thoughts about doing an aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about it. Let me hear back from Porsche Canada first to see what they will do first and then I may ask for their PSE version. I think the pipes are the same, only the mufflers are different.

For now, I don't hear any more of those annoying metal vibration noise for now.

Gotcha. Hopefully, they make a determination quickly.

But while they're doing that, any thoughts about doing an aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
512 Posts
This is interesting. I do hear some metal vibration from time to time but not regularly. Do you get that sound all the time?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear the noise pretty loud and always on:
-cold start
-revving the engine moderate to hard when car is engaged in park

I hear low to moderate noise on occasion:
-car is in motion at any speed or engine at any loads with window being down
-very distinct metal vibration noise when travelling thru tunnels as the sound bounces back from the wall. Actually, the affected area sits where the driver position is, therefore, the metal sound is virtually on top of your seat.

Aside from the above. If I have my windows closed, I do not hear the noise at all ... that tells you the interior sound insulation is pretty good .. I must say

This is interesting. I do hear some metal vibration from time to time but not regularly. Do you get that sound all the time?

·
Registered
89 Posts

Please let us know of the outcome and whether you're going the PSE route.

One year and 17,000km... I had mine for a little over 3 months and i'm at 10,000km. Probably going to hit 15,000km this weekend when I'm going to Chicago and back lol...

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
holy smoke guys, you guys really drive your car ... a lot.

I bumped into @Bull_Market yesterday and he is at 35,000km in just one year time (we had the same delivery week last year).

Please let us know of the outcome and whether you're going the PSE route.

One year and 17,000km... I had mine for a little over 3 months and i'm at 10,000km. Probably going to hit 15,000km this weekend when I'm going to Chicago and back lol...

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes. lots of salt in the winter time.

the moment I saw that much rust on the pipe, I wonder if they would even last 2-3 yrs time before they will rust thru it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes. lots of salt in the winter time.

the moment I saw that much rust on the pipe, I wonder if they would even last 2-3 yrs time before they will rust thru it.
Just to satiate my curiosity, but have you had underbody rust proofing done, and how often did you do car washes during winter?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No rust proofing.

Besides, no rust proof shops will put any chemicals/oils onto the hot exhaust pipes anyway.

As for washing the car in the winter, I would say once every week or once every two weeks. I wash it in my office underground parking and tried to use to hose to spray the underneath of the car as much as I can.

Just to satiate my curiosity, but have you had underbody rust proofing done, and how often did you do car washes during winter?

·
Registered
89 Posts
No rust proofing.

Besides, no rust proof shops will put any chemicals/oils onto the hot exhaust pipes anyway.

As for washing the car in the winter, I would say once every week or once every two weeks. I wash it in my office underground parking and tried to use to hose to spray the underneath of the car as much as I can.
Hmm... That's bad news for all of us... At least the ones up here in Toronto...

All that salt...

1 - 20 of 167 Posts