Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Keep the cracked handles and find a metallurgy lab to X-ray them to see if the cracks are caused by fatigue.
Fatigue is not detectable by X-Ray. Sometimes it’s apparent on a fracture surface at a glance from 2 feet away. Sometimes you need a stereo microscope at 10-50x with the right lighting. High cycle fatigue from vibrations is often most clearly visible with a scanning electron microscope (SEM) at 50-5000X.

I’m a Metallurgist so am not as familiar with fractography of non-metallics, but I wouldn’t count on seeing much on thin plastic. My bet would be on some sort of tough to identify environmental degradation of a less than ideal batch of plastic. If so, there will be many of these cracking eventually. Porsche will then notice a pattern and we’ll be more readily reimbursed. Patience. And maybe keep records if you’re not reimbursed now. You might be later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone else here had a crack develop in their door handle? Mine is on the driver's side rear door. I don't see any indication of impact. Very strange.
Had exact same thing happen to inside of the drivers side rear door handle of our 2018 Macan with about 1k miles on it....waiting to speak with dealership. I have attached a pic of the damage, you can see pretty clearly there are no signs of external impact on the handle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same crack - literally same shape and location on the handles - on my front and rear driver's side handles (2018 Macan S).
Dealer replaced both back in March. Now on the new driver's side handle, i have a new crack. different location this time.

Dealer just advised that they have seen no other reports of this, other than mine...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the paint cracked in the same spot on the top of the handles on all but the drivers door. All replaced on warranty and I hope it doesn't come back.

For the record I rarely have someone use the drivers rear door so it was odd that those three handles cracked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same problem with my 2018 Macan, driver's side rear passenger door handle. I live in Pennsylvania. My car is always garaged. The door is hardly ever used. Will be contacting the dealer next week.

jeff

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'm gonna take a SWAG on this. I notice that if I grab the rear (or any) door handle too quickly to open with, what, two or three fingers, it won't open because I'm lifting and simultaneously pulling the same time in a manner that is faster that the door will unlock.

If I open the diver's door and I want to throw something in the rear, I will 'forget' the other doors are still locked. So, a quick yank... Maybe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possible recall item

Had exact same thing happen to inside of the drivers side rear door handle of our 2018 Macan with about 1k miles on it....waiting to speak with dealership. I have attached a pic of the damage, you can see pretty clearly there are no signs of external impact on the handle.
****RESOLVED****
Dealership replaced all four handles under warranty, also to note, the repair ticket indicates, all handles replaced with updated version. So my guess is this is a design flaw they have corrected but have not issued a recall. So check your handles closely and have them replaced if any cracks are detected.

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
It’s not really a safety issue so I doubt they’ll do a recall. But Porsche probably will replace them for free even out of warranty.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just picked up our 2018 Monday, our rear left door handle is also cracked, will need to check all the others very closely
Take it to the dealer. They’ll replace it. Part will probably need to be ordered and painted. Just had my driver handle replaced and did the first oil change while at it at 10 months/7,500 miles. Took about 3 weeks for part + paint.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Take it to the dealer. They’ll replace it. Part will probably need to be ordered and painted. Just had my driver handle replaced and did the first oil change while at it at 10 months/7,500 miles. Took about 3 weeks for part + paint.
So these door handles are really crappy and obviously will not make the 'long haul'. What resolve is there down the road? Is there going to be any recognition of this by Porsche?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I contacted my dealer, they advised me that theirs a bulletin on this issue, they will order the part, paint and install under warranty, I also called Porsche USA voiced my concern about faulty door handles. It was strange because my dealer said theirs a bulletin on this issue but Porsche stated they never heard anything about this, and that I was the first one to bring this issue concerning door handles to their attention ( maybe not to create too much of a problem for them). I suggest to call Porsche and voice your concern, could be the dealers are not forwarding this info to them (maybe). 1-800-PORSCHE. Anyway it will be taken care of. Porsche also made a note on the vehicles records so that if this would happen after warranty I would have proof to help my case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I contacted my dealer, they advised me that theirs a bulletin on this issue, they will order the part, paint and install under warranty, I also called Porsche USA voiced my concern about faulty door handles. It was strange because my dealer said theirs a bulletin on this issue but Porsche stated they never heard anything about this, and that I was the first one to bring this issue concerning door handles to their attention ( maybe not to create too much of a problem for them). I suggest to call Porsche and voice your concern, could be the dealers are not forwarding this info to them (maybe). 1-800-PORSCHE. Anyway it will be taken care of. Porsche also made a note on the vehicles records so that if this would happen after warranty I would have proof to help my case.

Thanks for the info on the bulletin... I checked my handles on a 2016 Macan S and no issues yet, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Possible recall item

RESOLVED
Dealership replaced all four handles under warranty, also to note, the repair ticket indicates, all handles replaced with updated version. So my guess is this is a design flaw they have corrected but have not issued a recall. So check your handles closely and have them replaced if any cracks are detected.
Which dealer did you use ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
The technical service bulletin number is 122-C4Y3D-03, dated January 17, 2019. The outside door handle may crack and break. It initially looks like the paint is cracking, but will grow to larger size cracks. The bulletin applies to all Macans through MY19.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just discovered 3 out of 4 door handles have the same crack. My car is a 2018 GTS less than a year old with only 2500 miles. The only handle that does not have the crack is the drivers door handle. I just got off the phone with my local Porsche dealer service department, and they too, stated that they never heard of this and they would have to look at it to see if they will replace the door handles.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just got off the phone with my local Porsche dealer service department, and they too, stated that they never heard of this
After being employed at a number of different car dealerships, I can testify it is common practice for someone to immediately be fired for admitting to a customer the vehicles the dealer sells have problems, unless it is already common public knowledge.

I am assuming you spoke to a service advisor. Typically they are not told about the technical service bulletins because there is little to be gained by the dealer in doing so. In my experience, the best way to use technical service bulletins are to print out a copy and hand it to the service advisor when you bring your car in. At that point it becomes pretty difficult for them to deny the problem(s) exist.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts