Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else here had a crack develop in their door handle? Mine is on the driver's side rear door. I don't see any indication of impact. Very strange.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The crack looks like pressure damage from a Vice-Grip tool, like on purpose rather then from a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Almost looks like some took a razor blade to it. I hope Porsche see's it differently so you are covered but to me it looks like some kind of damage rather than a manufacturing defect. Could also be something that you were transporting in the back that caused this like luggage?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the outside door handle.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Good opportunity to get the gloss black handles.

Jk. That sucks but does look like external damage caused, not happenstance or defect. Hopefully they will just replace it.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
For all who have had door handles crack on their Macans, do you live in a cold climate?

Maybe the handles are made from an inferior grade plastic that gets brittle when cold.

:confused:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For all who have had door handles crack on their Macans, do you live in a cold climate?

Maybe the handles are made from an inferior grade plastic that gets brittle when cold.
I was thinking that as well. Not particularly cold here, but we get into the sub-freezing temps for a bit, down to around 20 degrees F. Not that cold compared to Chicago, Toronto, etc.

Mine shows similar problem on three of the handles. Not sure what caused it. Would like to hear from folks reported sane problem if they manage to get Porsche to replace them under warranty.
Where do you live? I'm in Bellingham, WA.

Also, how old is your car? I got mine in September 2014.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Certainly could be a manufacturing defect, similar to the cracks in the B-pillar that many people have encountered...What did the dealer say?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Certainly could be a manufacturing defect, similar to the cracks in the B-pillar that many people have encountered...What did the dealer say?
Dealer said that Porsche very rarely covers these types of issues under warranty. I personally think it is a defect in the material or the molding process.

The biggest pain is getting a door handle painted. The part is expensive (it is the whole assembly). If I remove the old one I might cut it apart and see if I can prove problems with the handle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hairline crack on my driver door handle too!!!
Saw it earlier today.

Looks just like the pics attached to this thread.

Just purchased the Macan on Dec 30th too. I live in SoFlo...so no to "extreme cold" as the culprit.

Did the dealer cover this?
Will call them tomorrow..

I suspect this is a manufacturing/QC issue..

Will post pic later.

·
Registered
58 Posts
***re-read... I see Ivan's dealer did not cover this under warranty.
That sucks....and irritates me.
I have less than 3k miles on my Macan too.

How much is the assembly?
Did your dealer offer to cover anything??

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To be clear I only spoke to the dealer about it and haven't done anything yet. Going to go back and continue the discussion.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
To be clear I only spoke to the dealer about it and haven't done anything yet. Going to go back and continue the discussion.
Be sure to mention this thread when you go, and good luck!

All I know is if stuff like this ever happened to my Mercedes, the dealership wouldn't even hesitate, and would just replace the door handle(s).

1 - 20 of 70 Posts