Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Devil’s advocate here. I bought my Macan S from a Volkswagen dealer in Indiana. 11,000 mi and rear ended at some point. I bought it off pictures and a few phone calls for around 45k. I bought the extended warranty (just in case). I had it delivered ~ $1,000 to my front door on the MS gulf coast. That was 2018 and all is well. It’s not a CPO and I found no negatives to my purchase. Great car at a good price. As long as you are dealing with a reputable dealer it shouldn’t matter. I usually keep my cars at least five years so “the ding” you really take is normal depreciation.

As long as you are dealing with a reputable dealer it shouldn’t matter.
But how do you know a dealer is really reputable?

As we have seen again and again on this forum, even if the selling dealer is an authorized Porsche dealer it means nothing.

I bought my CPO Turbo 3 years ago from an out of state Porsche dealer sight unseen and have had no problems. But after seeing the issues so many other forum members have experienced I now realize I was just lucky, and I would never do it again without an independent PPO.

Yes, the CPO warranty is a good one (although you are paying dearly for it), but in my case I really doubt the dealer did the CPO inspection at all given they did not even notice my Macan was due for an oil change.

Even if the dealer really does perform the inspection, they have a strong financial incentive not to notice problems because the dealer (not Porsche) has to foot the bill to bring the car up to CPO standards.

As someone else mentioned, the CPO process is a scam given PCNA has to be well aware by now of the cheating that's going on, but yet they continue to advertise the inspection process knowing plenty of dealers are delivering CPO cars that don't meet the standards.

But how do you know a dealer is really reputable?

As we have seen again and again on this forum, even if the selling dealer is an authorized Porsche dealer it means nothing.

I bought my CPO Turbo 3 years ago from an out of state Porsche dealer sight unseen and have had no problems. But after seeing the issues so many other forum members have experienced I now realize I was just lucky, and I would never do it again without an independent PPO.

Yes, the CPO warranty is a good one (although you are paying dearly for it), but in my case I really doubt the dealer did the CPO inspection at all given they did not even notice my Macan was due for an oil change.

Even if the dealer really does perform the inspection, they have a strong financial incentive not to notice problems because the dealer (not Porsche) has to foot the bill to bring the car up to CPO standards.

As someone else mentioned, the CPO process is a scam given PCNA has to be well aware by now of the cheating that's going on, but yet they continue to advertise the inspection process knowing plenty of dealers are delivering CPO cars that don't meet the standards.
So has anyone here asked Porsche how they police their CPO program? As it is a big deal to them I would think that should be done.

In this day and age, I've become a pessimist. Mu thought is regardless of what Porsche N.A. thinks, it still comes down to the dealership that is reselling the vehicle. The vehicles, it used to be, they could have three dented fenders as long as they repaired and did not replace parts like fenders and bumpers. Damage repaired doesn't count. And that sucks, IMO. How many times have we read people posting how they've gotten burned on their CPO whatever's? I have been burned on a 2006 BMW X5 4.8is. Gorgeous beast. Spent half the first six months in the shop with a leaky AS system. I had also discovered the left front fender was a re-do. Could see the swirl marks under the damned clearcoat. Front radiator framing was either missing or mismatched hardware. It was a CPO and I was told this was normal. I trust NO ONE when it comes to getting behind the wheel of any car with family with me and not know the full reliabilty and safety of what I'm driving at highway speeds. But that's me.

Do your homework before you buy used!

Reactions: willtx and Shark
Discussion starter · #25 ·
Welp -- I let it get away. Didn't have an appreciation for how fast these come and go... even given the current state of the auto market.

But thanks all for the thoughts and advice! Back to shopping I go...

Welp -- I let it get away. Didn't have an appreciation for how fast these come and go... even given the current state of the auto market.
Don't ever feel pressured into buying a used car if you are not 100% sure. There is no shortage of used Macans available. There are more available than ever before.

Reactions: willtx
I am surprised at how quickly used Macan's are selling now as well. I have reached out to multiples only to find that they are already sold. Looked at a local (dealer) GTS last week- that I really liked (but didn't have one key option that I wanted) and I thought was a bit overpriced.....and it sold 2 days later.

Re buying a CPO remotely, I had a great experience with Stapleton Porsche in Colorado. Bought my CPO 2018 Macan from them, great price, great options, no issues in my nearly 2 years of ownership. They made the process easy. I have purchased several cars remotely and while nothing is ever certain, I have only had good experiences.

Always through new car dealers, never through used car only dealers. Not that I am disparaging those as a class, but less confidence when buying remotely.

I am surprised at how quickly used Macan's are selling now as well. I have reached out to multiples only to find that they are already sold.
Unfortunately a long-standing common practice at dealers is to continue to show cars as being available that were sold weeks ago. Dealers do this because the continued inquiries bring more buyers who are in the market for a car to their doorstep.

Hi All - relatively new member here, but have been reading up over the past month or so as I look to purchase my first Macan.

Recently came across one that matches my color/option preferences and is CPO, but CARFAX shows damage to the front. Asked the dealer and they said it was $1900 incl. taxes and fees, which I understand is rather minimal for Porsche. However, I'm still a bit cautious about how damage would affect future value (not that I intend to sell after a year or two, but something to consider nonetheless).

Any thoughts on whether I should pursue this vehicle or keep looking elsewhere? Conflicted between the piece of mind with CPO and the looming CARFAX.

Thank you all in advance for any thoughts/advice.
Keep looking !

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.