Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
| 2018 Porsche Macan Sport Edition
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got myself in a pickle…. Hopefully y’all can help.

current Vehicle, 2018 Porsche Macan Sport edition. - all features of a GTS - air ride, PASM, sport exhaust, sport chrono etc. I’m missing the power with the base engine unfortunately. Love the car a lot tho. BUT got it for a steal only 26k miles…. Can sell it for around 3-5 k more than

now, do I find a 2016- 2018 CPO GTS or a turbo

Or 2019-2020 Macan S. Which is still 100+ HP more than my base. Plus new lights, new PCM, etc.

Thank you,

·
Registered
2018 Base
87 Posts
Tried giving it a Cobb tune to see if that satisfies your need for speed? For me the extra performance is noticeable and worth the roughly $900 for a used access port.

Do you want the possible headaches of the oil leaks that can potentially occur with the 2018 and older V6 models?

·
Banned
1,337 Posts
The performance difference will be noticable, especially if you COBB the V6. I would also suggest to check out X3M if you are after performance, it's on totally other level.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried giving it a Cobb tune to see if that satisfies your need for speed? For me the extra performance is noticeable and worth the roughly $900 for a used access port.

Do you want the possible headaches of the oil leaks that can potentially occur with the 2018 and older V6 models?
yeah, those leaks are covered by warranty though. Believe the turbo models will be collectors down the road as they no longer make them. I believe the timing Cover is 7 years warranty now. Tunes void warranties, so I have warranty still I don’t wanna mess with that much.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The performance difference will be noticable, especially if you COBB the V6. I would also suggest to check out X3M if you are after performance, it's on totally other level.
Yeah I have a 4 cylinder turbo not v6.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's my 2 cents...
I was looking at 2020/2021 GTS's too, I wanted that 2.9l engine, newer taillights, and widescreen PCM. I did a 24 hour test drive at Carmax on a 2021 GTS and loved that engine. The problem was the cost of them, it was selling for above MSRP and I have a problem with that on a used car. My local dealer wanted 10% over MSRP for a 2022 GTS, which I still won't do. I searched the used 2020/2021 Macan GTS's for close to a month and couldn't find anything reasonable priced. I then thought about the 2018 Turbo's, I wanted the higher horsepower especially for such a heavy vehicle. I found one that was only listed for two days at Carmax and shipped it my local store, the MSRP was $95K and I bought it for low $60's. My thought was I could drive this for 2-3 years until the prices are back to normal and then decide if I wanted a newer one I could switch then. The car is great, love the color (Volcano) more than I expected, drives great and don't think I'm missing much with 2.9l engine. Just picked up the car two weeks ago and thoroughly enjoying it.

There's no replacement for displacement!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's my 2 cents...
I was looking at 2020/2021 GTS's too, I wanted that 2.9l engine, newer taillights, and widescreen PCM. I did a 24 hour test drive at Carmax on a 2021 GTS and loved that engine. The problem was the cost of them, it was selling for above MSRP and I have a problem with that on a used car. My local dealer wanted 10% over MSRP for a 2022 GTS, which I still won't do. I searched the used 2020/2021 Macan GTS's for close to a month and couldn't find anything reasonable priced. I then thought about the 2018 Turbo's, I wanted the higher horsepower especially for such a heavy vehicle. I found one that was only listed for two days at Carmax and shipped it my local store, the MSRP was $95K and I bought it for low $60's. My thought was I could drive this for 2-3 years until the prices are back to normal and then decide if I wanted a newer one I could switch then. The car is great, love the color (Volcano) more than I expected, drives great and don't think I'm missing much with 2.9l engine. Just picked up the car two weeks ago and thoroughly enjoying it.

There's no replacement for displacement!
Thank you! kinda same boat! the 2019-2020 Macan S I was looking at are going for 20k more than I want them to be. I can upsell my Macan Sport Edition package and basically break even with a Macan Turbo. Hopefully I can keep it well maintenance it for a long time down the road. Seems like no more turbos will be made and this could be come a collectors item way down the road maybe.

Reactions: robbieracer

·
Banned
1,337 Posts
Yeah I have a 4 cylinder turbo not v6.
I understand that. I was referring to V6 macan + cobb. Macan S without cobb tune is underwhelming at best. If you are after performance I would highly recommend to check out X3M. Please expect that people will now start bashing me again for stating the facts, but if you are in a market for performance SUV there is no better option than X3M. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand that. I was referring to V6 macan + cobb. Macan S without cobb tune is underwhelming at best. If you are after performance I would highly recommend to check out X3M. Please expect that people will now start bashing me again for stating the facts, but if you are in a market for performance SUV there is no better option than X3M. Give it a shot.
Thanks for the recommendation but sticking with Porsche for now! the readability is little bit better than BMW.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you stick to Porsche my bet would be on 2019-2020 S+$1000 for COBB tune.
Yeah 2018 GTS has ton more features tho (sport plus, PASM, air ride sport exhaust

·
Registered
12,383 Posts
Got myself in a pickle…. Hopefully y’all can help.

current Vehicle, 2018 Porsche Macan Sport edition. - all features of a GTS - air ride, PASM, sport exhaust, sport chrono etc. I’m missing the power with the base engine unfortunately. Love the car a lot tho. BUT got it for a steal only 26k miles…. Can sell it for around 3-5 k more than

now, do I find a 2016- 2018 CPO GTS or a turbo

Or 2019-2020 Macan S. Which is still 100+ HP more than my base. Plus new lights, new PCM, etc.

Thank you,
Just as you can sell it for more so can the car you are buying cost more . The limit is MSRP and you can hold a dealership to that or walk . If you are shopping used or CPO EVERYONE selling a car TODAY is going to charge a premium for an immediate car .

The supply shortage goes beyond the chips . My dealership is having trouble getting a stone guard for my 911 . They had trouble getting tires for a Taycan (special rubber in the tire and no one had them) . Another member cant get a new PCM .

Any car sitting on the lot is priced high . Private sellers are not backing down either because they are paying more for the car they are replacing it with .

Conclusion - You have a car . Keep it and spec a new GTS . Keep the options light if wanting to save . Otherwise dont buy anything right now. This is a sellers market.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well I might be a bit biased because Inown a 2018 GTS, but when looking to buy I choose the GTS over the 2018 Turbo at roughly the same price. The Turbo did not have the air suspension or sport exhaust. I did prefer the Turbo’s 18-way seats and red leather. I didn’t think the small bump in performance outweighed the suspension and exhaust in the GTS. If you can find a Turbo with these figures, then maybe it would be the better choice.

I don’t think any of the Macans are going to be collector cars. Nothing too special about the old Turbos except the 3.6L engine is different. Newer GTS and Turbo use the same engine with slightly different tunes. 2022 GTS is the new Turbo and the one I will get when CPO warranty expires in 2 years.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just as you can sell it for more so can the car you are buying cost more . The limit is MSRP and you can hold a dealership to that or walk . If you are shopping used or CPO EVERYONE selling a car TODAY is going to charge a premium for an immediate car .

The supply shortage goes beyond the chips . My dealership is having trouble getting a stone guard for my 911 . They had trouble getting tires for a Taycan (special rubber in the tire and no one had them) . Another member cant get a new PCM .

Any car sitting on the lot is priced high . Private sellers are not backing down either because they are paying more for the car they are replacing it with .

Conclusion - You have a car . Keep it and spec a new GTS . Keep the options light if wanting to save . Otherwise dont buy anything right now. This is a sellers market.
You’re right. Even those my Macan locks the engine. A Cobb tune can fix the problem. I have all the goodies in my Macan just like the GTS but the engine. Also I was sold the car not knowing it was CPO so I have the assurance for the next 3 years Porsche will fix it.
More mods and goodies coming now

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
Well I might be a bit biased because Inown a 2018 GTS, but when looking to buy I choose the GTS over the 2018 Turbo at roughly the same price. The Turbo did not have the air suspension or sport exhaust. I did prefer the Turbo’s 18-way seats and red leather. I didn’t think the small bump in performance outweighed the suspension and exhaust in the GTS. If you can find a Turbo with these figures, then maybe it would be the better choice.

I don’t think any of the Macans are going to be collector cars. Nothing too special about the old Turbos except the 3.6L engine is different. Newer GTS and Turbo use the same engine with slightly different tunes. 2022 GTS is the new Turbo and the one I will get when CPO warranty expires in 2 years.
Collector cars cost maintenance just sitting there. You don't want to drive them much because that diminishes value. What they become are statues that have to be taken care of. You don't want a pigeon s*****g on your car. It is more fun to have a dumb old super fast Macan that you wring out to the ski area piled full of friends.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Collector cars cost maintenance just sitting there. You don't want to drive them much because that diminishes value. What they become are statues that have to be taken care of. You don't want a pigeon s*****g on your car. It is more fun to have a dumb old super fast Macan that you wring out to the ski area piled full of friends.
Drive it like you stole it for 3 years, then turn it in and get another one! Well, at least if you lease...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts