Porsche Macan Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
$770 for rear brakes is a good deal. You don't need to do a brake fluid flush though.
Maybe not but, it has been 3 ½ years since my 2 year flush done by Porsche dealer. I had tested my brake fluid & was reading 0% moisture.
Since I'm in the dry desert, I'll probably wait 4-5 years b4 doing brake fluid flush again.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I had asked my Indy his opinion on replacing rotors on Porsche vs. maybe every other time you replace pads & he said he always recommends new rotors on every car since it cost ~ $90 to turn the rotor & a new one is not that much more $.

If true, than for those who do not DIY, it probably makes sense to replace rotors rather than turning them. If it only cost ~ $70 more per wheel. (My Zimmerman rotors were $160 ea.)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree with your mechanic, I do the same but if the customer declines the rotor replacement I must inform about potential issues, if they are ok with that and their rotors are still in spec I do what they want but they are responsible for vibration, noise, etc.
If the rotors are out of spec then I respectfully decline to work on that car.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I went in for my annual intermediate service on a 2016 Turbo (60Kmiles/6Years service with 51K actual) and dealer recommended immediate action to replace both front and back rotors and pads (3 to 4 mm left) and they are really good at taking pictures and then showing me actual parts after they have been removed so it did not look good to me (I am no expert) so I agreed to it.

Here is the cost breakdown:

Front Labor: $350.00: (2hrs x $175)
Front Parts: $755.78: Brake Disc (2 x $199.85), Wear Indicator (2 x 34.08), Pad Set (1 x $271.20), Screws (4 x 4.18)

Rear Labor: $350.00: (2hrs x $175)
Rear Parts: $519.86: Brake Disc (2 x $144.15), Wear Indicator (2 x 16.28), Pad Set (1 x $199.00)

Interesting enough that the labor for the 60K service was $560 labor (about 3.25 hours) and $175 in oil/filter, pollen filter, sealing rings.

So very expensive 6 year (50k miles) appointment but I am overall happy that it took so many years/miles for the first brake/rotor service.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
So, your total was $2,711?
Since you drove 51K miles b4 needed brake job, I assume you drive a lot of highway miles.

Did you get the MFD yellow brake service warning message? I think not.
I also think while you may have been "close" to needing new F&R brakes, it was not in any way "an immediate" need.

My dealer said I'm close to needing R brakes & the Fronts are not too far from needing replacement also. Recommended I do both... right then. I declined until I got the MFD warning. This was long b4 & 2-3K miles b4 I had it done (@ an Indy).
I drive ~90% city. ~10% freeway.

I asked to see the pad life remaining & I figure I could have easily gone another 2-3K miles. Had 20% pad remaining. I drove ~1800 miles AFTER I got the yellow MFD brake warning.

I still have yet to get the MFD warning for F brakes.

Unless one is about to embark on a long trip, I see no reason to replace brakes b4 they are actually needed. Certainly not b4 the (overly sensitive) MFD warning comes on.

Reactions: sergeyb

·
Registered
15 Posts
What are people paying for brakes and at what mileage are they being replaced? I had a warning light come on after only 12K miles. Didn't think it was a real alert, but apparently it was! I don't the ride brakes or track my Macan, so didn't understand how it was even possible to wear them down so fast. I had to replace all brakes and rotors at a cost of $2000 at dealer.
Very easy to change brake pads on the Macan. Very DIY. I just did so switching to ceramic to be rid of the horrible OEM brake dust. You can get a good pair or a set of Akebono rear pads and ceramic Hawk front pads for about $215 - Tire Rack . Lots of YouTube instruction videos. Rotors another $500 plus if you shop right. Brake fluid. Hardware, wear sensors and clips often included in pad sets otherwise use old ones cleaned up and it should be fine. $2000 crazy highway robbery. Ouch.

·
Registered
493 Posts
@iconoclast and @msrmacan, all good points that I was aware of before I agreed to it.

- Actually most miles 90% are in the city and you are correct that I did not get MFD warning for any (front or rear) but we live in a round about capital of the world ((1,000+) so not much braking on a 2 hour round trip son school drop off that my wife and I share. I am convinced that PTV+ helps with less brake wear on the rears under constant round about drives. They recommended brakes a year ago when I was at 47k miles but due to school going remote for most of the last 12 months we only got 4k miles so a year of time deferred so I could totally to another few thousand miles as you say to wait for warning and then some but that was not material to me for the peace of mind and safety.

- The cost I do agree is staggering for something like this which is really not anything special that Indy shops can do but for me it is important to perform this at the dealer so all records are in one place that helps me trade or sell in a few days time (my 2014 Base Cayenne with 50k miles was gone in 2 days in 2019 after I was open to sell it). I already have the dealer wanting my Macan at a premium and then I have one of my Drs that I am a patient of wanting it as soon as I am open to sell due to the condition and maintenance so in part that is a value beyond the money saved.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I went in for my annual intermediate service on a 2016 Turbo (60Kmiles/6Years service with 51K actual) and dealer recommended immediate action to replace both front and back rotors and pads (3 to 4 mm left) and they are really good at taking pictures and then showing me actual parts after they have been removed so it did not look good to me (I am no expert) so I agreed to it.

Here is the cost breakdown:

Front Labor: $350.00: (2hrs x $175)
Front Parts: $755.78: Brake Disc (2 x $199.85), Wear Indicator (2 x 34.08), Pad Set (1 x $271.20), Screws (4 x 4.18)

Rear Labor: $350.00: (2hrs x $175)
Rear Parts: $519.86: Brake Disc (2 x $144.15), Wear Indicator (2 x 16.28), Pad Set (1 x $199.00)

Interesting enough that the labor for the 60K service was $560 labor (about 3.25 hours) and $175 in oil/filter, pollen filter, sealing rings.

So very expensive 6 year (50k miles) appointment but I am overall happy that it took so many years/miles for the first brake/rotor service.
50k is good. I get about 40k for brake wear.

But you might want to reconsider next time. Brake pads are like 10 or 12mm. (I think 10mm) If yours measured at 4mm, even assuming its 12mm, you have at least 25% left. I got almost 5 months out of the 4mm of pad left on my rears before the warning tripped - then i had another month there.

Three Porsches and the same SA will tell me every time to get the most of out the parts I have.

Also, in the end, it really doesn't matter where the general maintenance work is done when you trade your car. Brakes, pollen filters, etc are not parts for the space shuttle. Your dealer might have convinced you otherwise, but honestly it doesn't matter. (At least with all the one's I've dealt with).

121 - 128 of 128 Posts