Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people paying for brakes and at what mileage are they being replaced? I had a warning light come on after only 12K miles. Didn't think it was a real alert, but apparently it was! I don't the ride brakes or track my Macan, so didn't understand how it was even possible to wear them down so fast. I had to replace all brakes and rotors at a cost of $2000 at dealer.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Wow, did they say why they wore down so quickly? I have a ton of brake dust so that worries me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Pads AND rotors at 12k miles? That seems totally absurd. These are not exotic pads or rotors. I do that many miles a year, at least - am I up for 2k a year in brake maintenance?! At that price it would be more economical to just get the PCCB! @Phillymacan is yours an S or Turbo?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I have 11,000 miles now and my mechanic checked my front brakes wear just last week and he said they are at 50% now and rears are about the same.

90% local roads and 75% conservative driving style

$2000 for all 4 brakes done is kind of expected but the wear seemed excessive

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an S. To their credit they checked the car out for two days before saying it was "possible" the brakes were just naturally worn down. They also claimed because I bought one of the first Macans, there wasn't much data to directly compare my wear too, but they called another dearer and they had someone come in at 10 K Miles. If this is to be believed.... WTF!!!!!!!!!! I bebated getting the PCCB, but for that I mind as well trade in for a 2017 when it comes out hopefully with longer lasting brakes.

Pads AND rotors at 12k miles? That seems totally absurd. These are not exotic pads or rotors. I do that many miles a year, at least - am I up for 2k a year in brake maintenance?! At that price it would be more economical to just get the PCCB! @Phillymacan is yours an S or Turbo?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I find that the brakes on the Macan S are rather weak. When it comes time for replacement I was wondering if there any upgrade kits available from Brembo etc. Anyone investigated this yet?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had about 50 recent at 10000 miles too. If the thickness of the brakes is .9" and at 11K you are at 50 Percent you've at .45" and the light will come on at .3"
At your rate you'll be at my level in 4000 to 5000 miles Max. For me the only thing new was the computer update. What i hate is the warning doesn't say which brakes are most worn, and it's cheaper to get all done at same time, then come back in a month when maybe one or two others get to the very min as well.

I have 11,000 miles now and my mechanic checked my front brakes wear just last week and he said they are at 50% now and rears are about the same.

90% local roads and 75% conservative driving style

$2000 for all 4 brakes done is kind of expected but the wear seemed excessive

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just for reference, the parts from SunCoast:

Front pad set: $190
Rear pad set: $88
Front rotor set: $245
Rear rotor set: $165
Labor (1 hour - generous) $200 typical dealership rate

Total $888 plus tax

At $2000, I'd be asking serious questions of whoever did the work. Something is not right. Either way next time your best bet is to order the parts yourself and have it fitted by a reputable mechanic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Approx cost Break down 1150 front total (850 parts), 850 back (400 parts). I was going to do the brakes myself but in the repair manual there was references to needed electronics inputs for back brakes. The front brakes seem easier but for a savings of $300 I bit the bullet this time. My fear with the suncoast parts is if the OEM parts only lasted 12k-13K, I'm especaily concerned with aftermarket vendors longevity.

Just for reference, the parts from SunCoast:

Front pad set: $190
Rear pad set: $88
Front rotor set: $245
Rear rotor set: $165
Labor (1 hour - generous) $200 typical dealership rate

Total $888 plus tax

At $2000, I'd be asking serious questions of whoever did the work. Something is not right. Either way next time your best bet is to order the parts yourself and have it fitted by a reputable mechanic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Approx cost Break down 1150 front total (850 parts), 850 back (400 parts). I was going to do the brakes myself but in the repair manual there was references to needed electronics inputs for back brakes. The front brakes seem easier but for a savings of $300 I bit the bullet this time. My fear with the suncoast parts is if the OEM parts only lasted 12k-13K, I'm especaily concerned with aftermarket vendors longevity.
Suncoast is Porsche a dealer and afaik only sells OEM parts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Brakes wearing off so quickly is a concern.

Thankfully here in Singapore Porsche provides 5 years replacement warranty, including wear and tear on brakes, battery etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,934 Posts
Looking at Jim Ellis Use also: mounting parts comprising: brake pad repair set brake pad. SET for 2015 Porsche Macan. #95B698151H these look like the PCCB pads at$ 256, list $323. Add the rotors and you paid the normal price dealers probably charge, not the discounted price like Suncoast. Price sounds right.

The wear does not sound right. Rotors should go through two sets of pads for one rotor set. Did they actually measure the rotors and tell you they were below minimum distance? Something is weird here. 12K miles is too soon for rotors to be replaced? No?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I am at 3k miles on my S and I am surprised that I have almost no break dust on my Spyder wheels. I really hope the breaks last longer. BTW, leased 3 BMW X5 for my wife and she uses break like crazy.. Returned all of them with 36k miles and never had to replace brakes or rotors.

Reactions: notmac1

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Also, usually two sets of fronts for every one set of rear. Wow, two grand. No wonder they are called stealers instead of dealers. I will definitely buy the parts from suncoast and have work done at indie shop.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
My wife just replaced the pads and rotors on her Q5. C$ 880 with new fluid. This at 68,000 km !!!
We tow a horse trailer with it and she has done a few Audi DE events with it in the summer and winter.

If a Q5 can do that with more or less the same brake system, I'd have expected a Macan to not be too different in longevity. Apparently I'm wrong.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wow! Fast wear on the brakess. On my Turbo that I gave back to PCNA, there was 80% left at 6000+ miles. As stated by others, the price to replace also seems too high.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts