Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this topic was discussed a long time ago but I can't find the thread.

The factory maintenance schedule says nothing about changing the coolant.

I'm not comfortable that coolant lasts forever. The website for Xerex's G40 coolant mentions that it protects for 5 years/150k miles under normal use.

Anyone have insight on this subject?

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
The new coolant should last 5 years/100k miles.

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
You can read some from Pedro

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/Coolant_Antifreeze.html

This subject comes up from time to time. The Internet Experts might say to ignore what the carmaker says to do. I guess they know better. There was a time when flushing the radiator was done every two years. That was then. This is now.

Pedro again:
190,000 miles and then decided to flush.

If it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it. YMMV

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Haha, Pedro uses Prestone coolant.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Sounds reasonable, but where did this info come from?

I also find it odd that the maintenance schedule mentions nothing.
Pretty much all new long-life coolant lasts at least that long.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So according to the second Pedro link, Porsche considers the coolant to be "lifetime". I don't buy this. It's like how MB says the tranny in my SLK55 is sealed and the fluid never needs changing.

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
Haha, Pedro uses Prestone coolant.
Don't knock Pedro. He's been fixing Boxsters since before there were Boxsters :)

Sounds reasonable, but where did this info come from?
I hope not from someone who SELLS coolant :rolleyes:

This discussion reminds me of the 3 -5K Oil Change guys. Porsche can't possibly be right. 10,000 miles or one year? No way :LOL:

@Shark, do some research. Read on renntech, RL, and the other boards of long time owners. Its lifetime. Of course, some don't believe. In the end, everyone does what they want to do. That's why there are people who still go to Jiffy Lube every 3 months. People do what makes them feel comfortable. I can say I went 8 years and never had the Cayman flushed. Lifetime means lifetime to me.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would point out the first Pedro link is 8 years old and does not even mention the type of coolant (G40) used in our Macans.

But probably has no bearing on whether it’s lifetime or not.

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
If you want to consider flushing your own Macan cooling system, read the procedure outlined in the
Macan Service & Repair Manual. Pressurizing the system, using a vacuum line, etc. This ain't like the
days of draining it out onto your driveway and using the garden hose to flush the system with the
engine running, etc.

Scary! ?

Maybe Porsche makes it sound intimidating to frighten people into going to the dealer?

Is there some way to have coolant analyzed in a manner analogous to that done for motor oil?

:unsure:

·
Registered
28 Posts
So according to the second Pedro link, Porsche considers the coolant to be "lifetime". I don't buy this. It's like how MB says the tranny in my SLK55 is sealed and the fluid never needs changing.
From personal experience, my 2001 BMW 330xi never had its transmission fluid changed and it lasted the lifetime of the car, 17 years and ~215000 miles. Don't think I want to keep my Macan that long :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hmm. 100k certainly isn't "lifetime". 5 years is even less. Which is it? On all my prior cars, I flushed the coolant myself sometime between 75k and 100k.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I bought an airlift evacuation tool to try to change the coolant myself.

Does anyone know what the coolant capacity is in the 2015 Macan S? It's not in the Owners Manual and Google didn't show any results. TIA

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Just measure how much you take out and fill in the same amount.

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
Just measure how much you take out and fill in the same amount.
Have you reviewed the workshop manual procedure for burping the system?

It's not that simple or straightforward - this isn't your basic fill & forget cooling system design - it's overly complicated.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I usually do the drain and fill a few times. Most old coolant will be flushed out and no need to burp the system since no air has been introduced into it.

This isn’t rocket science. Old school method is good enough.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S / Volcano Grey / 2-Tone Mojave with Brushed Aluminum / PASM & PTV+ / 20" Spyders
19 Posts
Lifetime coolant, and yet we're told a brake bleed is needed every 24 months? It definitely seems to me that Porsche likes to "pick and choose" the old school rules that apply - which is their prerogative. FWIW, our 2008 Mazda CX-9 is running with the original coolant at 140K miles.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Nowadays long life coolant can last 5 years/100k miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts