Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just got a lightly used Macan GTS with the Conti 5P 21" on. I live in the PNW region where we don't get lots of snow (if any at all) per se. However, the temp will be around mid 30's to 40's for most of the winter and the road condition is wet due to the rain, etc...

Just want to know your thoughts regarding how these tires would work or should I be looking at a set of new ones for the winter.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
You're going to get a range of opinions here, but the bottom line is if you want to drive the car on snow (even a light dusting) or ice you will need all seasons or winter tires. Once summer tires lose contact with the asphalt, it's laughable how useless they become.

I've driven multiple cars on summer tires on dry roads in temps down to ~20F without issue. Does it take longer to go from 100-0? Maybe. Is it unsafe? No.

Cold wet roads is more of a gray area.

·
Registered
2018 Macan S
266 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just got a lightly used Macan GTS with the Conti 5P 21" on. I live in the PNW region where we don't get lots of snow (if any at all) per se. However, the temp will be around mid 30's to 40's for most of the winter and the road condition is wet due to the rain, etc...

Just want to know your thoughts regarding how these tires would work or should I be looking at a set of new ones for the winter.

Thanks!
Given the way our weather up here in the PNW has been, I'd strongly suggest a set of all-season tires. Latest prognostication, if you can believe the weather folks, is it's gonna get very cold, and then wet, I just had new Michelin's Latitude HP's put on our S at local Costco, I believe that these also come in 21's.
Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
I have the Contis on my Macan - and they came off last week in order to mount the winter tires.
Temperatures where I live have dropped to the 40s, 30s and 20s - getting down into the teens
occasionally.

From what I've read, the Contis should not be used once temperatures are regularly in the 40s.

I had an E34 BMW M5 several years ago and got caught in a snowstorm coming home from work
one day. It took me almost an hour to try and get up my street to reach my driveway. Then it took
at least 20 minutes to make the turn to back into my driveway without hitting the telephone pole
next to it (the driveway). I had to shovel two paths for the tires in order to get up my street!

Lesson learned.

Summer tires get HARD in the colder weather. The tread blocks cannot flex, so the snow packs in
and stays there, making the tires slicks.

If you run the Contis and crunch the Macan over the winter, you're not going to feel very good about
having saved a few $ on tires that you're now spending on bodywork... :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
They’re a good summer tire - had them on my Golf R - you don’t want them on your car in winter, even a Seattle winter. Doesn’t do the summer tires any favors, either, using them in the cold; they can suffer damage from that, though I didn’t experience that in my younger days when I DID run summers year round. It only takes one bad experience riding around on summer tires in winter conditions to make you wish you’d switched earlier, I know, so don’t be that guy. Get the a/s or a good set of performance winter rubber.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ignoring snow even in the dry you will not have traction below 45 degrees until the tires are fully warmed up. And it takes 20 minutes for them to warm up. Not worth it..

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
The idea is the manufacturer designed the compound of the tires to be used in temperatures of 45F or higher
in order to deliver the tires' best performance. At cooler temperatures, you'd be giving up some of the grip
available at higher temperatures.

Think of how tacky the tread face feels after you've parked your Macan on a hot summer day after a spirited
romp.

Of course there has to be some traction at 45F and lower - otherwise your Macan would just sit there making
clouds of rubber smoke! 😩

1 - 9 of 9 Posts