Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Stop thinking the Macan is rife with issues. It is not.
That is an accurate statement.

I had a 2019 Base and was thrilled with it. A couple nagging items but nothing that would make me shy away from another.

The Base . . . if I am not mistaken . . . starting in 2019 . . switched to the Audi EA88 motor which appears to be bulletproof.

· Registered
2020 Macan S
111 Posts
I own an S but have been driving a base for 2 weeks now. If I were buying new, I'd 100% buy the T. It's enough power to be satisfying but the base feels so much lighter and it drives like a different vehicle. If you can live without the extra speed of the V6 and without the sound, I think you'll be quite happy with a T.

· Registered
2021 Macan
14 Posts
I recently purchased a 2021 CPO Base Macan. It’s got all the options I am happy with, drives amazing and I didn’t feel like I needed more power. It’s much quicker than the other crossover SUV’s I drove. I may sound crazy but I even preferred the way it drives compared to an X3 M40i. That was going to be what I would get if I had not chosen the Porsche but once I drove the Macan I was won over by the handling and overall driving experience as well as the quality of the interior.

I would say get the newest and lowest miles CPO you can find for the best price so the depreciation is already a factor. I have about 15k miles on mine (bought with 14600) and will be looking to take it in for the 20k service at some point.

The dealer will be more expensive for maintenance but since I’m still under warranty I will take it there in case I do happen to need something warranty related. If you do take it to an independent, make sure to keep all the paperwork.

My experience with my other cars and independent mechanics has not been good but I did find a specific Porsche mechanic close by in case I need something later down the road.

· Registered
57 Posts
Please don’t worry about reliability on a Macan. Porsche has been building these for nearly 10 years now and it is a great reliable vehicle. Yes it can be expensive to fix but you have a warranty if you buy new. Reliability is relative. Nearly all cars are so much more reliable than they were 30 years or so ago. Porsche in general gets high reliability scores.
as far as T vs S. Depending on your build a highly optioned T will many times be cheaper than the base if you put the exact things on the base as are in the T. Since on the T theses are bundled. The T also is more unique looking and will stand out with its agate trim and lowered stance. If you have no other fast vehicle and have a need for speed with lots of open spaces and it’s not a family car where people may object to your fast ways then you may be happier with an S. But if it is used as a family car around town and for small trips then I think the T is the better choice given the cost and better gas mileage and cheaper insurance.

either way it’s just a 10 grand here or there. Get what your heart wants and what you think you will be most happy with. In the long run that amount of money should make a difference in your finances. If t does then you should not be looking at a Porsche.

The Macan whatever model is special and more bespoke and is a beautiful machine. Nobody goes on you tube and raves about their base Hyundai or CRV. But so many videos about how people love their Macan Base all the way to GTS.

· Banned
192 Posts
I'm not sure this forum would provide the most objective reliability reports for a Macan!

That said, both the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder engines currently available in the Macan have been around long enough to have refined any minor issues of the past. I doubt there's a statistical difference in reliability between the Porsche and the Audi powertrains these days, they're co-developed for both brands in most cases. (There is a statistical difference in quality and reliablilty between VW Group products made in Germany versus those made in Mexico or Brazil, however). Audi or Porsche will always be more expensive to own and maintain overall than a typical Asian cute ute due to the exchange rate and sheer economy of scale of the cookie cutter brands.

· Registered
208 Posts
I am considering getting either a recent (2022 or newer) vintage CPO, or possibly a new T or S. I am kind of thinking I am nuts given the costs of ownership. I have heard stories of the aluminum bolts they use and how failures in those bolts can cause real headaches, among other issues. On the other hand, a German engineered engine is something that other car companies cannot replicate. I can handle the higher maintenance costs, but would hate for the car to be in a long-time-to-resolve recall, or the kind of surprises I do not expect to get in a quality Japanese car. I guess I would start with the fact that the S is what intrigues but a lot of reviewers think the lighter front end and the goodies you get on the T makes that worthy of consideration. Playing around with the build website the S is about $10k more than the T and the T is probably $5k more than the base. I have only (and very briefly) driven the base and it was ok, but no faster off the line than a lot of others. I hear the launch control on the T does make a big difference. Any feedback is welcomed.
I would not consider base/t at all. Macan is a great German car and this means that maintenance is X2 comparing to Japanese one. If I could find a Japanese SUV which would drive like Macan and require maintenance like Mazda 6 I'd get one. However, it just does not exist. The closest one is something like GV70 but that still can't touch the macan with six foot pole.

· Registered
57 Posts
If price matters to you the Macan T can be had for about 10 grand less than the S adding similar options. It also does 0-60 in the 5-5.8 second range. Car and driver clocks it at 5 seconds. I’ve seen YouTube at 5.6. Porsche says 5.8. Besides you have nearly 300 torque which is what you feel around town. Most reviews say the Macan T handles better than the S due to the nearly 130 pound weight difference. So if it is an awesome touring vehicle and a town vehicle you want get the base or T. You will save money and money on gas and insurance. The T also looks unique compared to the base. Don’t fall prey to the HP wars. The base will cruise at 85 mph easily all day long. Soon the Macan EV will be out with 600 hp and make the GTS and S look slow.

· Banned
192 Posts
... maintenance is X2 comparing to Japanese one.
That's absurd. Parts and labor for Euro vehicles may be relatively expensive, but in terms of time/effort/dealer trips it is nowhere near 2 times the maintenance, especially not for a VW parts bin car like the Macan. My brother's Toyota has had more recalls and unplanned visits to the dealer than our Macan. A friend's Nissan is even worse. Porsche defects per vehicle has always ranked among the best ... at least until they started really pouring in all the infotainment complications.

· Registered
57 Posts
That's absurd. Parts and labor for Euro vehicles may be relatively expensive, but in terms of time/effort/dealer trips it is nowhere near 2 times the maintenance, especially not for a VW parts bin car like the Macan. My brother's Toyota has had more recalls and unplanned visits to the dealer than our Macan. A friend's Nissan is even worse. Porsche defects per vehicle has always ranked among the best ... at least until they started really pouring in all the infotainment complications.
Agree. You should see how much the Lexus dealers charge around here.

· Registered
208 Posts
Maintenance has nothing to do with recalls and defects. Your friends toyota doesn't have dual clutch transmission and doesn't need new spark plugs every 30k miles. It also doesn't require PIWIS $18k to reset service interval.

· Registered
208 Posts
Agree. You should see how much the Lexus dealers charge around here.
Charge for what? For pdk service? :ROFLMAO: I'm sorry if you japanese cars were lemons, but I'll say it once again:

Non-lemon japanese car is 2 easier to maintain than non-lemon Porsche. You can argue all day, but that's the reality of modern German awd turbo cars with dual clutch transmissions. Nissan 3.7 with torque converter transmission can't touch that with 6 foot pole in terms of maintenance schedule.

· Registered
10 Posts
For what it’s worth, I’d say pick the one that puts the biggest smile on your face. Mine does just about every time I get in to drive it. When I travel, I try and rent cars that I might have otherwise considered buying and each time I return more happy with my choice. Any potential costs or headaches are much easier to swallow when it brings you joy on the daily. Not to diminish the importance of cost, but if you can afford anyway, I’d say pick the one that makes you smile, strap in, and enjoy the ride. :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts