Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Hunting for a Macan S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have been considering the purchase of a 2015-16 Macan S. We've settled on either a blue, gray, or white. The two in question are blue over saddle brown and blue over black. The blue/brown is 2016 while the blue/black is 2015.

Here's the VIN analytics for each:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting

Relative to the VIN analytics summary, what does the Commission # number mean? The 2015 has a number while the 2016 does not, any ideas?

The other question I have is relative to the rear seat air vents. The 2015 required an option to have rear vents (option 9AQ) while the 2016 had them as standard. Can someone verify this for me?

More info.: the 2015 has 39k miles while the 2016 has 29k; the 2016 is $1000 more. One of the options missing from the 2016 (which my wife likes - this will be a replacement for a 2011 BMW X3 28i) is the Light Comfort Package (PP8). Also, the 2016 is very close to where we live while the 2015 is a four hour drive away. As you can see from the VIN links, both have the 20" RS Spyder Design.

In summary, I know that buying used is a compromise and for the most part the options are not too dissimilar, so it really is up to us to decide which is better (or neither). (We did drive a well optioned 2015 the other week, so we are somewhat familiar with it.)

Sorry for the long post.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
My wife and I have been considering the purchase of a 2015-16 Macan S. We've settled on either a blue, gray, or white. The two in question are blue over saddle brown and blue over black. The blue/brown is 2016 while the blue/black is 2015.

Here's the VIN analytics for each:
View attachment 246927

View attachment 246928

Relative to the VIN analytics summary, what does the Commission # number mean? The 2015 has a number while the 2016 does not, any ideas?

The other question I have is relative to the rear seat air vents. The 2015 required an option to have rear vents (option 9AQ) while the 2016 had them as standard. Can someone verify this for me?

More info.: the 2015 has 39k miles while the 2016 has 29k; the 2016 is $1000 more. One of the options missing from the 2016 (which my wife likes - this will be a replacement for a 2011 BMW X3 28i) is the Light Comfort Package (PP8). Also, the 2016 is very close to where we live while the 2015 is a four hour drive away. As you can see from the VIN links, both have the 20" RS Spyder Design.

In summary, I know that buying used is a compromise and for the most part the options are not too dissimilar, so it really is up to us to decide which is better (or neither). (We did drive a well optioned 2015 the other week, so we are somewhat familiar with it.)

Sorry for the long post.

Thank you.
Neither one of these has roof rails nor warranty. I'd check into the cost of an extended warranty. Have you checked their history pertaining to the two demons of the transfer case replacement and the failed timing chain cover bolts? These are S model problems for this era. The former is under extended warranty and the latter is going to cost you $6,500 plus even though Porsche *****it up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, I would choose the 2016. But you really need to look at the car fax report for more details. Or let us look at it at least.

IMO, get the newest one you can afford. I think 2018 is a good starting point. There are 1000s of Macan S available for sale right now, well last time I looked in Aug. consider LED headlights in the 2018+ premium package, it’s worth the money.

I remember when I was shopping for a Macan, and I was stressed about the timing chain cover oil leak, PDK failure. But I’m over it now. I bought a 2018 with 3 years of warranty, my timing chain cover is not going to leak and I won’t have a PDK failure.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
These cars are actually 2014 and 2015, not 2015 and 2016. This means both of them are out of warranty. I personally would not recommend buying a used Porsche without some warranty left (unless you are buying from me :ROFLMAO:). I would look for a car with at least some CPO left.

·
Registered
Hunting for a Macan S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@wwahl - relative to the roof rails, while the current X3 we have has them, they were never used. Plus, I have other vehicles for carrying stuff (GMC truck, LR Disco, Volvo wagon); the Porsche would be the 'nice' vehicle in the fleet.

Regarding the warranty, I have read about those issues and would indeed by buying some kind of warranty. I will be inquiring about those two items when I physically look at the cars.

@Jkirkerx & @Opt1k - the 2016 is preferred due to the lower miles; however, I will have a look at the 2018 model year too for the reasons you both mentioned.

I have the Carfax for the 2016 but need to get that for the 2015.

I personally like the 2016 due to its unique Saddle Brown interior (plus the lower miles).
Interior shot:
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle

I appreciate the responses and if there's anything else, please do not hesitate to share.

·
Registered
Hunting for a Macan S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@alexcus3man - The 2015 had an original MSRP of $65,560 while the 2016 was $70,410. Currently, they are both listed in the low $40s.

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
Relative to the VIN analytics summary, what does the Commission # number mean?

One of the options missing from the 2016 (which my wife likes....is the Light Comfort Package (PP8).

I personally like the 2016 due to its unique Saddle Brown interior (plus the lower miles).
Three zone climate control with the rear vents was indeed standard for the 2016 model year.

The comfort lighting package was also standard for the 2016 model year.

The saddle brown interior includes more leather surfaces. In particular, the dash is leather (with stitching), rather than textured plastic.

The 2016 model year car originally came with summer tires, which offer more grip, but which typically wear-out every 15k miles. You'd have to check whether those tires have been replaced with all-season, or summer tires.

For either car, I would check to ensure the exhaust downpipes have been replaced with the newer design. If not, ask for that as part of the negotiation. Porsche has been repairing them as a good will gesture for original owners, but may or may not cover pre-owned cars. See the repair bulletin and discussion in the following threads.....

Engine Noises Macan S - Noises, 1 of 2 SOLVED (VIDEOS)

Cracked mid pipe exhaust plate bracket

Best of luck with your car search.

·
Registered
102 Posts
@alexcus3man - The 2015 had an original MSRP of $65,560 while the 2016 was $70,410. Currently, they are both listed in the low $40s.
Wow they have really held their value (I know things are crazy in used market currently.)

I purchased my 2015 S with 30k miles in May 2019 for $40,750 with an original MSRP $77K. The car now has 44K miles 2+ years later and is likely still worth about that much.

Font Material property Parallel Paper Paper product

·
Registered
Hunting for a Macan S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a FULLY loaded S... good job finding it for a decent price!

·
Registered
Hunting for a Macan S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@SoCalS5 - thanks for the reply with all the great information. I wonder on the 2016 if it didn't have the PP+ that the Comfort Lighting pkg had to be ordered separately - I have one example of such (WP1AB2A53GLB51801). The car has just Premium pkg. But, nevertheless, I will check the 2016 that we are seeing tonight to verify that item.

I'm taking a look at those links... thanks again for sharing.

·
Registered
Hunting for a Macan S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being that the 2016 is at a MBZ dealer, and they put new tires on it (so the ad states), here's my guess - summer Continental Sport Contact 6:
Automotive tire Tire Font Wheel Tread

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Considering that you are looking for 3rd party warranty which could easily be $5000 I would add that to your budget and see if you can find a CPO car from Porsche dealer. I like that the car on carfax didn't see winter, but please confirm if big service has been completed. It's either 40 000 miles or 4 years I believe, that could easily be extra $2000 out of pocket, put insurance on top and you are looking at $47k vs $40k.

Also consider that these cars don't have OEM carplay, not sure if it's a must for you (for me it is), but that's another $1000+ to install. I would also check the brakes, if they are worn you are looking at $2000-$3000.

Overall I would highly suggest a PPI. While it will cost you $500 if might save you much more in the long run.

With that in mind it could make sense to look at something like Buy used Porsche Macan S at Porsche South Shore or Buy used Porsche Macan S at Porsche South Shore

These cars may have less options (these are just random example) but they are 2018 which includes carplay and also CPO which adds 2 years of warranty when original warranty expires.

·
Registered
Hunting for a Macan S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And I thought taking care of an old 2002 LR Disco II was expensive! I appreciate the information as many times it is difficult to pull out the details (cost, etc.) from folks. A PPI is something I'm considering. As for the warranty, for our X3 I purchased one and probably broke even on that (2011 bought in 2016, warranty was $3k). A warranty would definitely be mandatory on anything pre-2018.

I'm going to look at the 2016, at least from the standpoint of getting more experience with the model (and the previous model we drove was a 2015 with 38k miles).

Perhaps I could sell the wife on this nearby example.

Thank you for the input @Opt1k.

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
Reactions: alfa63

·
Registered
319 Posts
The difference in distance covered between the two cars isn't that great and they're both reasonably low mileage given their age.

See if you can find out what sort of driving they've had. If the distance on one looks to be made up of many short trips to the shops and the other one was used for longer weekend jaunts, avoid the short trip car.

Reactions: alfa63

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whichever one you buy, make sure it qualifies for a a decent exclusion warranty from either Fidelity or Porsche’s Safeguard. Also get a PPI from an independent shop, don’t trust the dealer’s inspection.

·
Registered
Hunting for a Macan S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replies. We drove the 2016 on Saturday and tried to get more familiar with it. I've been reading here for the different opinions and what to watch out for, and, at this point we have not made a decision. The good news for my wife is that it rides very similar to the 2011 X3 (which has run flats by the way). I like the overall feel of the car, especially the steering and power.

I called one of the prior dealerships on the Carfax to find out about the three services done on the car. Unfortunately, that type of information falls under "client dealership privilege". So, dead-end there.

Still have to look into the PPI and warranty, but in the meantime, maybe dealer will drop the price another $1-2k (it's a no-haggle dealership - I did ask to drop the price and was told 'no', more or less).

·
Registered
Hunting for a Macan S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the 2016 sold yesterday to someone other than me... and that is quite alright. We won't be pursuing the 2015 referenced above at this time either. But, we are still looking which certainly allows for more time to do research.

I'll be back to discuss whatever I do find, but until then, thank you for the advice and links to other threads. By the way, I spoke to a local SoCal service advisor who mentioned many of the same potential concerns that were mentioned on this thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts