Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2016 Macan S CPO from Downtown Porsche. I have already upgraded the wheels to the GTS and had the calipers painted.

Debating on the next mod, between sport plus or cobb tune.

Anyone in the GTA have a Cobb tuned Macan? If so where did you get it and are you happy with it. Do you have the sport plus as well or just went with the Cobb?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Just purchased a 2016 Macan S CPO from Downtown Porsche. I have already upgraded the wheels to the GTS and had the calipers painted.

Debating on the next mod, between sport plus or cobb tune.

Anyone in the GTA have a Cobb tuned Macan? If so where did you get it and are you happy with it. Do you have the sport plus as well or just went with the Cobb?
You wouldn't have vanilla ice cream without a tasty sauce on top, right? Get both.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does a Cobb tune impact the warranty? Does it need to be removed prior to bringing it in for service and then re-applied?

·
Registered
999 Posts
yes and yes
Some (many? most?) with Sport + have said that it is "too much" for 92% of their driving (other than tracking and on-ramps), whereas the C*bb adds significant oomph but is more manageable, particularly effective in Sport mode.
But if dollars are free-flowing around your house, I agree with @wwahl that you could do both (I'd get C*bb first, then S+ if you really think you'd need more)
My$0.02

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Does a Cobb tune impact the warranty? Does it need to be removed prior to bringing it in for service and then re-applied?
This has been covered a lot around here, so I'd recommend you search and read some of the relevant threads. That said, I got the Cobb 26 months into my GTS ownership with a lot of miles and warranty left--I just needed more! I'm bringing the car in for service in about 10 days, and I'm going to remove the Cobb a few days prior. Better to be safe than sorry, right?!

·
Registered
378 Posts
This has been covered a lot around here, so I'd recommend you search and read some of the relevant threads. That said, I got the Cobb 26 months into my GTS ownership with a lot of miles and warranty left--I just needed more! I'm bringing the car in for service in about 10 days, and I'm going to remove the Cobb a few days prior. Better to be safe than sorry, right?!
Please keep us posted on how it went with the service. I too just purchased the Cobb AP and will be taking my GTS into service when it reached 10K miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Makes sense. The reason I asked was I bought a Carista code reader for my Audi Q5 and recall some chirping about removing any mods prior to taking it in for service. In my case I never modified anything so never had to contend with that.
Contemplating a Macan purchase now and doing some reconnaissance ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a gts and Cobb. Very happy with the Cobb and no drivability issues. Service coming up in the next couple of months and I plan to remove Cobb as a precaution as there may be dealer software upgrades that may overwrite the Cobb tune and it would be lost, as is my limited understanding.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a gts and Cobb. Very happy with the Cobb and no drivability issues. Service coming up in the next couple of months and I plan to remove Cobb as a precaution as there may be dealer software upgrades that may overwrite the Cobb tune and it would be lost, as is my limited understanding.
If the Cobb tune is overwritten by updates from the dealer, can you just flash it back (Stage1 or Stage1+) with AP when you get home?

·
Registered
180 Posts
As I understand it,and I may be wrong, the AP saves the factory program in the AP and replaces it with cobbs program. So the cobb program is no longer in the AP to reuse. Again I may be wrong. Otherwise maybe one cobb could flash more than one macan ?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
As I understand it,and I may be wrong, the AP saves the factory program in the AP and replaces it with cobbs program. So the cobb program is no longer in the AP to reuse. Again I may be wrong. Otherwise maybe one cobb could flash more than one macan ?
You can go back and forth with your AP to de-tune and re-tune without having to download new stuff for the same car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For the most part the Cobb tunes are not changing actual logic/programming in the ECU, they're just changing the lookup tables used to determine fueling, boost, timing, throttle mapping, etc. based off the various sensor readings. When installing the AP it downloads the stock ECU values before overwriting them with it's own. Uninstalling the AP writes the old values back to these tables.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts