Porsche Macan Forum banner
1461 - 1480 of 1483 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Pedal Commander will mostly solve the lethargic throttle. It obviously doesn’t remove turbo lag, but it can make comfort mode much more spirited.
I had 4,000 miles on mine when I got tapped from behind by a sliding-in-mud Ford Ranger. I saw him coming. Hit the gas and it took too long to get moving forward to prevent the damage. I was in Comfort mode. Had I been in Sport or Sport+ or had a Pedal Commander I would not have been hit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would highly recommend the BGB pro tune on a Turbo Macan. Mine is a 2015 and it finally fixed the tune issues. From what I heard the BGB was a tune used by their own team and took a long time to create. I had surging power and erratic shifting depending on how quickly and "poorly" you stabbed the throttle. I finally decided that me-a-person-not-a-robot wanted to be in control of the car rather than changing my driving habits for the OTS tune.
I'm considering going this route as well. I am using the OTS tune and have the exact same issues that you experienced on my 2015 Turbo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My quest to fix my Cobb map has been ongoing for several months.

Some of you might remember the problems I was having with with my Cobb map, experiencing jerky/surging acceleration after shifts. Then I posted a thread "Cobb - Above & Beyond" last August where I praised Cobb for sending their Tech Jon to meet with me personally, perform a boost leak test and sort things out with a custom tune. I reported that all was great, and the data learned in my tests and tune would be utilized in future map upgrades! Remember that? Well, the story didn't end there. Nor have we ever received an update.

3 days after Jon left, I experienced another Limp Mode shut down event. I was devastated. I continued to send data logs to Cobb, weeks would pass, they would make some changes. The map was good, but still was not as smooth as it should be. Basically, I was frustrated, tired of bothering Cobb, I'm sure they were tired of me, just "one guy" out there, so through these last months I sucked it up and adapted my driving style to be easier on the gas pedal and shift at lower revs (I always drive in manual mode). Learned to "live with it". But always fearing another Limp Mode shut down.

A few weeks back I saw a post here mentioning "BGB Motorsports", a Speed Shop and Pro Tuner out of Florida. I sent a PM explaining my problem and asking for help. John Tecce responded and asked that I send my data logs, which I did. THIS GUY IS AN AMAZING PRO TUNER AND ONCE AND FOR ALL HAS CURED MY MAP ISSUES. I now have the fastest and smoothest map of all, and no issues.

John from BGB has a relationship and works hand in hand with Cobb and Mitch (Head ECU Engineer) at Cobb, and this is what I have learned...

Have you all been wondering why there has been no new Cobb Macan map upgrades in several months? The simple truth is Cobb is overworked and understaffed. Even when Jon visited me back in August '17, to my surprise he told me that there were only 2 Engineers assigned to the Macan project at Cobb, he and Mitch. Since then, Jon was out for weeks with medical issues and then upon his return reassigned to a different project at Cobb, leaving only Mitch for us Macan owners, but Mitch is also responsible for many other Porsche projects and is "working 17 hour days". So fact is Cobb has many projects and us Macan owners are only a small segment. We are not top priority at Cobb.

So if any of you are not satisfied with your Cobb map, I highly recommend you contact John at BGB Motorsports. He is helping to take the load off Mitch to assist Macan owners. He will analyze your data logs, communicate with Mitch at Cobb, and solve your issue.

[email protected]
https://www.teambgb.com/ and is also a new Supporting Vendor on the Forum.

I have been at this for 8 months now, testing, sending logs, new maps, testing, sending logs, etc .... and I haven't posted about it until now. I feel I have finally arrived at a map that is 100% excellent, and I can't thank John from BGB Mororsports enough. He spent quite a bit of time on me, he communicated constantly, and above all made in happen after all my trials and tribulations found the solution.
I have had the same issues with my tune...jerky and like the car is just confused. I ordered the Stage 1+ tune from Flat6 motorsports and now the car is having an issues occasionally when its a col start the rpms fall and the car acts like it wants die. So I am thinking about contacting BGB. How much was it for them to help you?

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS -White W/Black-Red Leather Int. Spyder Wheels Blk W/SC
34 Posts
Ok, so I have read that the new 2022 Macans power is going to be bumped up and the Turbo model is going away. The GTS and S will now have the 2.9L engine and the base will get a bump up to 264hp? The GTS will now have the 434hp tune and the S will be 375-380 tune? In any event I am looking to get a tune for my 2021 GTS that will bring it up to about 500hp. Since the turbo at 434hp could get a 74 hp increase to +500hp using the same motor, can this be be done to my GTS? I am thinking Cobb would be best bet as I like the access port and not having to install/uninstall something like race chip when I take it in for service. Is this reasonable to assume?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Ok, so I have read that the new 2022 Macans power is going to be bumped up and the Turbo model is going away. The GTS and S will now have the 2.9L engine and the base will get a bump up to 264hp? The GTS will now have the 434hp tune and the S will be 375-380 tune? In any event I am looking to get a tune for my 2021 GTS that will bring it up to about 500hp. Since the turbo at 434hp could get a 74 hp increase to +500hp using the same motor, can this be be done to my GTS? I am thinking Cobb would be best bet as I like the access port and not having to install/uninstall something like race chip when I take it in for service. Is this reasonable to assume?

Thanks
If you value your warranty you will remove the Cobb AP flash before taking your car into the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you value your warranty you will remove the Cobb AP flash before taking your car into the dealer.
Yep, well aware. Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don’t think you are going to be able to get to 500 hp with just a tune? Close but not 500. You will get a lot of increased torque lower in the power band which will make the car completely different.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don’t think you are going to be able to get to 500 hp with just a tune? Close but not 500. You will get a lot of increased torque lower in the power band which will make the car completely different.
Ok, Enlighten me please. Its the same motor as the Turbo only detuned. So why cant I have the same full extent tune as the turbo?

·
Registered
215 Posts
An off the shelve cobb tune hasn’t usually given 60 hp without other modifications. It can give you a bunch of torque but h/p not so much. The 2.9L engine does have some limitations. Previously the 93 octane tune from Cobb gave 40-50 hp (and a LOT more torque) on a 3.6 liter engine.
Presently to the best of my knowledge, the ability of the new turbos to handle increased boost, how much air can this engine flow, or even how good the intercooler s are is not known
as general knowledge. People are working on it…but it is not there yet.
The bright side is that unless you have a specific need for that power level then eventually a tune will be out that can get you close but end up being a little less. To tell you the truth the driving difference between 475 hp and 500 hp is not that big. BUT the torque difference is immediately felt. Regardless …it will be great And go for it!

·
Registered
319 Posts
An off the shelve cobb tune hasn’t usually given 60 hp without other modifications. It can give you a bunch of torque but h/p not so much. The 2.9L engine does have some limitations. Previously the 93 octane tune from Cobb gave 40-50 hp (and a LOT more torque) on a 3.6 liter engine.
Presently to the best of my knowledge, the ability of the new turbos to handle increased boost, how much air can this engine flow, or even how good the intercooler s are is not known
as general knowledge. People are working on it…but it is not there yet.
The bright side is that unless you have a specific need for that power level then eventually a tune will be out that can get you close but end up being a little less. To tell you the truth the driving difference between 475 hp and 500 hp is not that big. BUT the torque difference is immediately felt. Regardless …it will be great And go for it!
This engine is not that new and has been used in the new Audi RS5 and RS4 for 4 years now so limitations are pretty much already known. There are lots of tuners who offer a simple tune to 500HP/556lbft (APR for example). I expect these gains to translate to the Macan Turbo 2.9.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is the 2.9 l v6 that was offered in the 2017 Panamera? The one that has the exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head? My bad then. Yes , if it is that same engine you can get to 500. It is going to be one **** of a ride. 500 to the wheels is a big jump. Better hold on and get better brake pads…. Or the new braking option they offer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, got another question. Say I find a wrecked 2021 Macan Turbo, and I buy the used ECU module. Can I replace my ECU with that and will it have the Turbo tune?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Ok, got another question. Say I find a wrecked 2021 Macan Turbo, and I buy the used ECU module. Can I replace my ECU with that and will it have the Turbo tune?
Good luck finding a 2021 Turbo. Since it doesn’t exist.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good luck finding a 2021 Turbo. Since it doesn’t exist.
Um...there won't be any in 2022 going forward but there are 2021 Macan Turbos, just google it or check the Porsche website.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wonder if anyone monitored fuel consumption with Cobb

I just found that my mpg dropped to 14 from 18 after going into stage 1 91ACN

is this something normal wihh the everyone ?

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
149 Posts

For me Comfort Mode stayed about the same and Sport and Sport+ dropped ~3 mpg (using the car's computer). I don't think it's the tune itself, as I definitely drive the car even more aggressively now

·
Premium Member
64 Posts

City driving is much worse. Highway driving is a bit better. With stage 1, 93 octane.

1461 - 1480 of 1483 Posts