Porsche Macan Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1462 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got the COBB during Thanksgiving 10% off sale, and WOW it's so worth it! The only thing I didn't like about my 2016 S had been the lag in 1-3K RPM from a stop, but the Stage1-93 has transformed the entire experience.

I did take the extra 5 seconds to hook up my CTEK MXS 5.0 charger during the flash. Essential for garage queens, especially during the pandemic and winters in general.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
705 Posts
I got the COBB during Thanksgiving 10% off sale, and WOW it's so worth it! The only thing I didn't like about my 2016 S had been the lag in 1-3K RPM from a stop, but the Stage1-93 has transformed the entire experience.

I did take the extra 5 seconds to hook up my CTEK MXS 5.0 charger during the flash. Essential for garage queens, especially during the pandemic and winters in general.
The CTEK is an awesome investment for those of us not driving often, but it’s not sufficient to meet Cobb’s recommendation when flashing. They want 20A steady, the CTEK is 4.3A smart.

As has been repeatedly discussed you might do it 50 times with no issues, but wouldn’t want someone thinking that the CTEK meets the recommendation. I have one and use it all the time, but I have a different charger for ECU work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello all,

New kid on the block from Bmore... I just purchased a 2015 S with 64k. I am thinking about adding the Stage 1 tune. Just purchased the mods for the airbox. Has anyone had any issues with the oil leaks, tranny issues, etc that they suspect came from the tune? I have a non-cpo limited powertrain warranty good for 10/100k but I would rather not file a claim anytime soon. This will be daily. I usually just drive around town (20 miles or less) with an occasional trip to FL and NYC about four times a year.

Also, while I do have access to good local indy shop for repairs and I may need to twist a few screws from time to time. Any recommendations on hand tools to store in this car. I am leaning toward this one from Harbor Freight.

Thanks,

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tune won't cause oil leaks or tranny issues.

You need to carry a ratchet and a Torx set. That HF set has a bunch of things you'll never need on a Porsche. I bought this Torx set, which has worked so far on filter install and hitch install. Any 3/8" ratchet will do, along with an extension or two and adapters for 1/4" and 1/2".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tune won't cause oil leaks or tranny issues.

You need to carry a ratchet and a Torx set. That HF set has a bunch of things you'll never need on a Porsche. I bought this Torx set, which has worked so far on filter install and hitch install. Any 3/8" ratchet will do, along with an extension or two and adapters for 1/4" and 1/2".
I guess I want to well prepared... Lol! Thanks for the response and recommendation.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
@wnelms: There are already five (5) Cobb tune related threads in the forum.

Now, unfortunately, there's a sixth (6th) thread.

I STRONGLY recommend you review those threads to learn all you can about adding the Cobb tune system to your Macan.

Merging...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Based on my research thus far on the 2015-2018 Macan Turbo model and an Accessport ProTune, the three players in the market are...
  • Cobb ProTune
  • Flat6 Motorsports ProTune
  • bgb ProTune
I've decided to not talk about price as I'd like to believe in this space, we are focused on quality. Also, although not completely clear on current pricing, I believe they are all well within a stone's throw of each other. If you are compelled to share your pricing experience, go for it.
  1. Mostly, what was the motivator for going ProTune? OTS tune not what expected/rough/low-quality or is ProTune clearly something you normally do?
  2. The difference after the ProTune compared to OTS tune?
  3. Disappointments with ProTune?
  4. Would you ProTune again?
To keep it focused for the sake of data integrity, Macan Turbo ('15-'18) ProTune comments only. If you want to add other tuners like GIAC/etc, throw it in the mix as long as its a custom tune to the above vehicle. Hopefully we can collectively contribute to the quality of the forum and assist me with my next steps;-)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok. I purchased a tune. Went with the Hydra Motor Works custom tune and a couple of BMC drop-ins. I spoke with them today and really enjoyed the conversation with Mitchell on their tuning philosophies. No compromise on stock drivability with, you guessed it, a focus on performance. We'll see.

Reactions: Don16

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok. I purchased a tune. Went with the Hydra Motor Works custom tune and a couple of BMC drop-ins. I spoke with them today and really enjoyed the conversation with Mitchell on their tuning philosophies. No compromise on stock drivability with, you guessed it, a focus on performance. We'll see.
Looking forward to hearing your results. I guess this isn't Cobb ProTune and instead of full on flash?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
109 Posts
Just installed my AccessPort this morning and am running the ACN 91 OCT map and using Petro-Canada 94 octane fuel (includes Ethanol). 2017 GTS, 30K miles on it.

WOW! Really wakes up the Tiger:
  • mid-range (2K-5K) power is significantly stronger
  • pulls to 7K rpm effortlessly.
  • acceleration and power delivery seem linear, no weak spots or hesitation in the powerband that I could detect
  • comfort mode throttle response is still lethargic until it hits ~2K rpm
  • new sounds from under the hood which I assume are the valves bleeding off pressure (only happens at shift time)
  • full throttle shifts in sport mode are "quite firm". Shifts in sport+ mode are almost violent - instantaneous and hard. <-- is this normal?
- boost pressure is 17+psi (@ instrument cluster) and stays pegged so I assume at this point my valves are okay
- only have ~200km on it since the install, but all the playing went through a shocking amount of gas. In comfort mode I was getting approx. the same mpg as before the tune.

Definitely a recommended upgrade! Next is air filters and hood modification. Then potentially an exhaust system and protune.

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
109 Posts
The shop I bought my AP from indicated he's installed them on 100+ Porsches including many Macans. He recommends the 93 map and Petro Canada 94 fuel. I do trust this shop, but I don't think he's checked the actual logs for pre-denotation, so I'm cautious. The Cobb release notes are clear that 91 map using Petro-Canada 94 fuel is their recommendation.

Few questions to my fellow Canadians:
1) Is anyone running 93 maps without problems and if yes, what fuel do you use?
2) Anyone found a source of 93 fuel (hopefully in the SW GTA)?

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
109 Posts
I apologize for the 3 posts, but typing to avoid a page-long post.

Do most people keep their AccessPort plugged in and mounted to their dash somewhere? Or do you remove it and the cable until next needed?

I currently have my iPhone mounted to the top right of the center console, which leaves no room for the AP unless I want to have a blocked view or use a vent mounting system (which I want to avoid). I like the idea of keeping it functional (0-60 stats, gauges, error code reader). I was thinking the driver side windshield pillar, but not sure how that might impact the airbag and can't find an aftermarket mount for that location yet.

Any suggestions please? Pictures?

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
I apologize for the 3 posts, but typing to avoid a page-long post.

Do most people keep their AccessPort plugged in and mounted to their dash somewhere? Or do you remove it and the cable until next needed?

I currently have my iPhone mounted to the top right of the center console, which leaves no room for the AP unless I want to have a blocked view or use a vent mounting system (which I want to avoid). I like the idea of keeping it functional (0-60 stats, gauges, error code reader). I was thinking the driver side windshield pillar, but not sure how that might impact the airbag and can't find an aftermarket mount for that location yet.

Any suggestions please? Pictures?
After the install each time (you have to remove it when the car goes into a dealer for service) I toss it back in its container box and keep it in a Trader Joe's zippered soft container box along with all my emergency tools. That way if you have an emergency call where your goes to the dealer you can do a quick extract of the AP software. When at home I use the battery charger as seriously requested for installation/removal. I also have installed the Access Port Manager on my desk top for updates.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looking forward to hearing your results. I guess this isn't Cobb ProTune and instead of full on flash?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Correct. This is not a Cobb tuner but another flash device. Apparently for the 2015 Turbo model, there is also a transmission tune that accompanies the ECU tune. I also picked up a couple of high flow filters to help the spool.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Based on my research thus far on the 2015-2018 Macan Turbo model and an Accessport ProTune, the three players in the market are...
  • Cobb ProTune
  • Flat6 Motorsports ProTune
  • bgb ProTune
I've decided to not talk about price as I'd like to believe in this space, we are focused on quality. Also, although not completely clear on current pricing, I believe they are all well within a stone's throw of each other. If you are compelled to share your pricing experience, go for it.
  1. Mostly, what was the motivator for going ProTune? OTS tune not what expected/rough/low-quality or is ProTune clearly something you normally do?
  2. The difference after the ProTune compared to OTS tune?
  3. Disappointments with ProTune?
  4. Would you ProTune again?
To keep it focused for the sake of data integrity, Macan Turbo ('15-'18) ProTune comments only. If you want to add other tuners like GIAC/etc, throw it in the mix as long as its a custom tune to the above vehicle. Hopefully we can collectively contribute to the quality of the forum and assist me with my next steps;-)
I would highly recommend the BGB pro tune on a Turbo Macan. Mine is a 2015 and it finally fixed the tune issues. From what I heard the BGB was a tune used by their own team and took a long time to create. I had surging power and erratic shifting depending on how quickly and "poorly" you stabbed the throttle. I finally decided that me-a-person-not-a-robot wanted to be in control of the car rather than changing my driving habits for the OTS tune.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Just installed my AccessPort this morning and am running the ACN 91 OCT map and using Petro-Canada 94 octane fuel (includes Ethanol). 2017 GTS, 30K miles on it.

• acceleration and power delivery seem linear, no weak spots or hesitation in the powerband that I could detect
  • new sounds from under the hood which I assume are the valves bleeding off pressure (only happens at shift time)
  • full throttle shifts in sport mode are "quite firm". Shifts in sport+ mode are almost violent - instantaneous and hard. <-- is this normal?
- boost pressure is 17+psi (@ instrument cluster) and stays pegged so I assume at this point my valves are okay
- only have ~200km on it since the install, but all the playing went through a shocking amount of gas. In comfort mode I was getting approx. the same mpg as before the tune.

Definitely a recommended upgrade! Next is air filters and hood modification. Then potentially an exhaust system and protune.
Mine’s an ‘18 Turbo, stock. You mention “quite firm” when shifting. Yesterday I was fortunate to have some free space to let her rip. Sport+ and punched it. Around 110, when she shifted to a higher gear, the whole Macan shuddered and banged firmly into gear. I can’t imagine another 80 HP/TQ.

Reactions: V6TT

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
109 Posts
Mine’s an ‘18 Turbo, stock. You mention “quite firm” when shifting. Yesterday I was fortunate to have some free space to let her rip. Sport+ and punched it. Around 110, when she shifted to a higher gear, the whole Macan shuddered and banged firmly into gear. I can’t imagine another 80 HP/TQ.
I've been playing with it the last 2 days and although the shifts are still fast and very firm, they don't as violent as on the first day.

Here are my performance stats so far:
0-60 No tune no launch control 4.9s
0-60 stage 1 91 OCT no launch control 4.6s
0-60 stage 1 91 OCT launch control 4.4s
All in Sports+

I bought the Flat 6 high flow intake system yesterday, but still haven't decided if I'm going to mod the exhaust yet. I want power not noise and I've not seen any numbers showing performance gains for exhaust systems yet.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
705 Posts

Pedal Commander will mostly solve the lethargic throttle. It obviously doesn’t remove turbo lag, but it can make comfort mode much more spirited.

1441 - 1460 of 1462 Posts