Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much research I decided to try out Mother’s CMX 3 step ceramic coating on my wife’s Q5 and I just recently finished my GTS and I have been very pleased so far.

There are 3 components:
Surface Prep
3 in 1 polish and coat
Ceramic spray coating

I did a proper wash and dry, then clay to get rid of harsh surface contaminants (so I guess it is more like 5 steps) and then got to work in my garage.

If possible, try and work in the shade or a garage so the surface is nice and cool and wear gloves and change MF towels early and often. Use new applicator pads and MF towels for each step, steps 2 and 3 will require multiple towels

surface prep - you can spray this on directly and buff while still wet. Easy on and easy off like quick detailer. This will clean anything you missed with clay or you can probably use this instead of clay but it won’t clean as well

3-1 polish and coat - this will take care of any minor scratches and give a nice base coat for the ceramic spray coat to bond. Use an applicator pad and buff wet. Work in small sections or it will dry to a haze and will be much harder to buff out. It is really thick so less is more. I fold my MF towel in fourths so you can rotate and refold the towel as each section gets caked with product. This was the most time and labor intensive part of the process.

Spray coating - at last the final step. Use a fresh applicator pad and again work in small sections. This time you want to give each section 3-5 minutes to dry before buffing so you can start the application on another section while another area dries. This buffs out really easily even when completely dry. This is the final step so don’t be shy with the buffing towels, rotate and replace often. You can apply a second spray coating but they recommend waiting 24 hours for the initial coat to cure, and I would leave the car indoors to minimize dust and pollen before applying another coat. Some light quick detailer would probably be fine if the surface gets dusty. I don’t plan on applying a second coat, my arms are about to fall off after doing 2 cars in less than a week 😄

All in all, I’m really pleased, for less than $50 and about 7 hours all in for the 5 steps - my paint feels like glass, the water beading is phenomenal and it will bring out dark colors and make metallic flake really pop

Thanks for reading and happy detailing!

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
That's sharp! 7 hours is a lot of work, though. Come & do our cars, now that you're the resident expert on this. ;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's sharp! 7 hours is a lot of work, though. Come & do our cars, now that you're the resident expert on this. ;)
Thanks! Yeah 7 hours was probably due to the claying process, not necessary and definitely a time suckage

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks! Yeah 7 hours was probably due to the claying process, not necessary and definitely a time suckage
The Ceramic Pro installer who coated mine clay-barred my Macan prior to coating so your efforts weren’t for nought.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Ceramic Pro installer who coated mine clay-barred my Macan prior to coating so your efforts weren’t for nought.
I'm sure your installer did a better job in less time! I'm hoping this application will last the summer and I'll do this again before winter

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
The clay bar process is time consuming. I know - I've supervised while the Hubster's clay-barred our vehicles before!* :ROFLMAO: I'm curious as to how well this DIY product holds up over time. Do keep us posted as time goes by.

*And a service loaner. My Macan was offline for 7-8 weeks in the fall of 2016. It needed a new transfer case & there were none to be had in the US, or so I was told. The dealership had to wait for a new one to be made then sent over in a rowboat over the Atlantic, or so if seemed. They gave me a Panny to drive as a service loaner during that time & told me to treat it as my own - a statement the Hubster took literally. He washed it & determined that it was in need of serious cleaning, so he took a clay bar to it & then waxed it. The service assoc was very surprised when I told him what the Hubster had done.

·
Registered
282 Posts
After much research I decided to try out Mother’s CMX 3 step ceramic coating on my wife’s Q5 and I just recently finished my GTS and I have been very pleased so far.

There are 3 components:
Surface Prep
3 in 1 polish and coat
Ceramic spray coating

View attachment 243124

I did a proper wash and dry, then clay to get rid of harsh surface contaminants (so I guess it is more like 5 steps) and then got to work in my garage.

If possible, try and work in the shade or a garage so the surface is nice and cool and wear gloves and change MF towels early and often. Use new applicator pads and MF towels for each step, steps 2 and 3 will require multiple towels

surface prep - you can spray this on directly and buff while still wet. Easy on and easy off like quick detailer. This will clean anything you missed with clay or you can probably use this instead of clay but it won’t clean as well

3-1 polish and coat - this will take care of any minor scratches and give a nice base coat for the ceramic spray coat to bond. Use an applicator pad and buff wet. Work in small sections or it will dry to a haze and will be much harder to buff out. It is really thick so less is more. I fold my MF towel in fourths so you can rotate and refold the towel as each section gets caked with product. This was the most time and labor intensive part of the process.

Spray coating - at last the final step. Use a fresh applicator pad and again work in small sections. This time you want to give each section 3-5 minutes to dry before buffing so you can start the application on another section while another area dries. This buffs out really easily even when completely dry. This is the final step so don’t be shy with the buffing towels, rotate and replace often. You can apply a second spray coating but they recommend waiting 24 hours for the initial coat to cure, and I would leave the car indoors to minimize dust and pollen before applying another coat. Some light quick detailer would probably be fine if the surface gets dusty. I don’t plan on applying a second coat, my arms are about to fall off after doing 2 cars in less than a week 😄

All in all, I’m really pleased, for less than $50 and about 7 hours all in for the 5 steps - my paint feels like glass, the water beading is phenomenal and it will bring out dark colors and make metallic flake really pop

View attachment 243125

View attachment 243133

View attachment 243126

View attachment 243127

View attachment 243128
View attachment 243129

View attachment 243132

Thanks for the detailed post. I’ve been considering doing my next ceramic coating as a DIY rather than spending another $1500 to $2000 to have my Detailer do it again.

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS & 2015 Cayman GTS (Carmine Red)
38 Posts
Great Result!

I used a different product (TW) on my VG GTS however have also been really impressed so far with the DIY method (photos below). I'm sure there are some benefits to a baked on coating, however I don't mind a bit of elbow grease in maintaining the car over time!

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great Result!

I used a different product (TW) on my VG GTS however have also been really impressed so far with the DIY method (photos below). I'm sure there are some benefits to a baked on coating, however I don't mind a bit of elbow grease in maintaining the car over time!
looks great! Turtle wax I presume? I’ve heard really good things about their formula as well

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the detailed post. I’ve been considering doing my next ceramic coating as a DIY rather than spending another $1500 to $2000 to have my Detailer do it again.
not sure the difference between DIY and a professional job. I’m sure still not as good but if it’s comparable then $50 and some manual labor is a bargain. I’m going to do the wheels maybe next weekend, the spyders are going to be a pain!

·
Registered
38 Posts
looks great! Turtle wax I presume? I’ve heard really good things about their formula as well
Yep - Turtle Wax - never thought I'd use that on my car, but the new products are getting great reviews and seem to live up to the hype.

I’m going to do the wheels maybe next weekend, the spyders are going to be a pain!
FWIW I used Gyeon Q2 Rim for my 21" SCs, and also on my Cayman. Can't say I'm that impressed with that product but I have a feeling you really need to do two coats with that product to get better performance (and I only did one).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep - Turtle Wax - never thought I'd use that on my car, but the new products are getting great reviews and seem to live up to the hype.

FWIW I used Gyeon Q2 Rim for my 21" SCs, and also on my Cayman. Can't say I'm that impressed with that product but I have a feeling you really need to do two coats with that product to get better performance (and I only did one).
Did you do the headlights and wheels with that? How about windows?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you do the headlights and wheels with that? How about windows?
The Turtle Wax Product? I didn't... - but the windows are on my list of things to do (particularly on the rear window where it can get foggy/dusty and I don't ever want to use the rear wiper if I can avoid it!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have used the clay bar several times, and it gets slippery when using it with a lubricant (i.e. spray detailer). Started using the synthetic clay mitt (see below), and it is much easier and quicker to use. In fact, they recommend "breaking in" the mitt by using it on all your windows first. You get up to 25 uses out of the mitt ($2 each use). Si02 Silicon dioxide waxes are becoming more common by traditional car care companies, like Meguires, Griot's Garage, Turtle Wax. Good products with good results. Take the money you save and have a few nice steak dinners out with your spouse.

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
162 Posts
Thanks for the write-up @Daya. Good job and it looks great. (y)(y) I'm interested to know if you've used similar products in the past and if so, how do they compare with respect to ease of application. It's hard to find unbiased and rational information like you've provided.

Nice that these DIY products are getting better all the time. For those that enjoy doing it, it's getting harder and harder to justify the $1K + for a professional job.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the write-up @Daya. Good job and it looks great. (y)(y) I'm interested to know if you've used similar products in the past and if so, how do they compare with respect to ease of application. It's hard to find unbiased and rational information like you've provided.

Nice that these DIY products are getting better all the time. For those that enjoy doing it, it's getting harder and harder to justify the $1K + for a professional job.
This was my first go around with ceramic coating so unfortunately I can't comment on other products but I did quite a bit of research to determine this would be a solid top 5 option

·
Registered
6 Posts

There are 3 components:
Surface Prep
3 in 1 polish and coat
Ceramic spray coating

View attachment 243124

View attachment 243125

View attachment 243133

View attachment 243126

View attachment 243127

View attachment 243128
View attachment 243129

View attachment 243132

There are 3 components:
Surface Prep
3 in 1 polish and coat
Ceramic spray coating

View attachment 243124

View attachment 243125

View attachment 243133

View attachment 243126

View attachment 243127

View attachment 243128
View attachment 243129

View attachment 243132

Nice job, looks very sharp.
I did notice one thing and please don't shoot the messenger on this, but the Porsche crest in the wheel centers should have its 'point of the crest' aligned with the tire valve. Apparently, it's a Porsche thing (according to my dealer).

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice job, looks very sharp.
I did notice one thing and please don't shoot the messenger on this, but the Porsche crest in the wheel centers should have its 'point of the crest' aligned with the tire valve. Apparently, it's a Porsche thing (according to my dealer).
Ha yes - they normally do but somehow they have rotated as that is something I’m particular about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts