Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Macan Turbo (with only 33,000 miles) has a very cloudy carbon fiber steering wheel. I've tried buffing/polishing/cleaning. Nothing helps. Has anyone else had this problem or know if it's reversible?

·
Registered
2017 Macan S, Sport Exhaust, Rennchip, Flat6 Airfilters
68 Posts
Do you have a heated steering wheel? Maybe this effects the CF.

·
Super Moderator
2,290 Posts
It looks as though it's the clearcoat that's affected. I have a heated CF steering wheel and it's
not cloudy.

OP: you've already tried a cleaner wax? How about the Meguiar's product Scratch-X 2.0?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have tried cleaning and waxing. I have also used a scratch remover but it was "Scratch Doctor" (not Scratch-X). I even had a local guy try "paint correction" with his orbital buffer/polisher. No luck all around.

·
Registered
86 Posts
that's very odd. my 18' purchased new now has 19k miles and looks exactly as day 1. i've also used the heat function everyday through 2 winters, too. i wonder if it was due to outside heat? i'm curious what the stealership would say.

·
Registered
2017 Macan S, Sport Exhaust, Rennchip, Flat6 Airfilters
68 Posts
CF is coated with a clear coat substance. Maybe it has always been cloudy and the previous owner never asked the dealer about it. Lots of videos on YouTube about correcting faded CF.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It is a factory carbon steering wheel or aftermarket?
Those CF wheels are well known for cracking but I've never seen something like this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's factory (OEM).

I've watched all the YouTube videos and tried most of the solutions (to no avail). The only thing I haven't tried is wet sanding. I guess that's next. Or just buy the replacement I found on eBay for $650.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is car garaged or out in sun. I have a couple CF pieces that are getting a little milky but the car is outside all the time and those parts get exposed to the most sun

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just curious - but are you using an alcohol based hand sanitizer? That’s something I’ve been worried about as we immediately sanitize every time we get in the car and our steering wheel often gets residual sanitizer on it. Maybe it (or any other hand lotion) impacted the finish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correction: my vehicle does have the heated steering wheel. I haven't owned it long enough to experience cold weather until this morning. It works.

Garage: I haven't owned the vehicle for very long but I would guess that it's been garaged it's entire life. None of the other carbon fiber trim pieces are cloudy in any way.

Hand Sanitizer: The previous owner may have used a lotion or hand sanitizer that led to this "cloudy" hazing of the carbon fiber clear coat. I can't say for sure.

The vehicle is in fantastic condition overall and there are currently only about 33,000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OP - check out this guide from Esoteric if you haven't already. Specifically relates to carbon trim. I would use (or find someone) with a Rupes iBrid nano which has a small enough pad size to work on tightly curved trim. First pass with a microfiber cutting pad and a stronger cutting compound - then if the results are good, follow up with a finishing (yellow or white) pad with a polish such as Sonax Perfect Finish. Finally I'd go that extra level and seal the trim (I had leftover CSL & Exo ceramic coatings which I applied to the carbon interior parts of my M6).

From the pics, the cloudiness looks to be in the clearcoat, so it's really a question of how skilled the detailer is and the combination of tools at their disposal - but that finish should be restorable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts