Porsche Macan Forum banner

Clicking tapping noise

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  BooBoo 
#1 Ā·
Anyone else experience this noise ? For me is more consistently noticeable while in Sport Comfort mode and Paddle shifting and from a start. Seems to come from driver side under seat - door area.
Almost like some type of mechanicals are at work while in this mode .

Shifting, exhaust baffle, gear control????

#2 Ā·
What is Sport Comfort mode?

My Macan offers: Comfort, Sport and Sport+ PASM settings.

It also has Sport and Sport+ buttons on the center console.

Do you hear the noise every time when starting off? A recording of the sound might be helpful. Are there any times, accelerating from a
stop, that the noise is not generated? Is the noise not triggered when you're not using the paddle shifters? Is the noise heard only at certain
speeds or a limited range of RPM levels?

The questions are intended to try and identify a root cause for the anomaly you're reporting.

:unsure:

#5 Ā·
Do you hear the noise every time when starting off? A recording of the sound might be helpful. Are there any times, accelerating from a stop, that the noise is not generated?

:unsure:
Did see more driving today in just plain drive. Noise seems to be somewhere on driver side, under my seat - in my left ear - right behind me or below me... Weird. Seems to happen from a non-spirited acceleration , not always, and a gradual stopping - not always. Seems to be from 15-25 MPH.

#3 Ā·
Yes. I think it's a relay for the air suspension compressor.

Reactions: muncie
#4 Ā·
all good. I keep getting the terminology mixed. Sport mode, Comfort chassisā€¦.

Speedometer Car Gauge Tachometer Odometer

I donā€™t seem to hear it all the time. But between my tinnitus and hearing aids, I am challenged there. Does not seem to come from the paddle shifters, but may be related to whatever is triggered by using them vs how shifting work in auto mode. Seems to be on take off and slowing down ( thatā€™s when shifting is most, maybe.. ) - but not at final stop. Cannot peg a certain rpm range or speed. Intermittent it seems.

I do not think the noise would be picked up by cell phone recording which is the only thing I have to try and record. If I can get it that way I will post.

#6 Ā·
At around 90k my Macan has developed an annoying rattle. It starts at about 30 mph and doesn't go away as the speed goes up. Doesn't seem to be affected by the smoothness or bumpiness of the road. It seems like it's speed related, so I think it's something outside the vehicle that is vibrating in the wind. I've pretty much eliminated all sources of rattles in the vehicle. The kids in the back say it sounds like it's coming from under the driver's seat near the center console. I haven't been able to localize it myself while driving, except that it does seem like it's coming from the left side of the vehicle, possibly the front left.

I'm at my wits end on this, I've checked just about everything which looks like it could be loose in the engine bay and the underpanels all seem to be tight. At this point I'm thinking about taking off the underbody panels and seeing if there is something else which is loose underneath.

Any tips or tricks that mechanics use to isolate and identify these kinds of issues? This is actually the only noticeable rattle I have, which I think is pretty impressive for 90k miles on a 2015 Turbo.

#7 Ā·
...ok - now you have more information. It's not necessarily tied to acceleration, as originally reported, since it's doing it both
on acceleration and deceleration.

Maybe it's speed dependent - like it happens only between certain speeds? Only during certain engine/drivetrain RPMs? If
you change gears with the paddles when it is happening - either speeding up or down - does the sound go away?

You have the ability to characterize the issue and with finer granularity, etc.

Ex.:
"it does it only on days when it's in the 40s or colder and only when I'm going uphill in 3rd gear"

Keep playing around with it and you'll getg to a point where you've narrowed the limited condition(s) under which the anomaly is triggered.

Whether you get to the bottom of this yourself or not it will greatly help whoever is tasked with identifying the root cause and finding a
solution for it.

Good luck!

#11 Ā·
...ok - now you have more information. It's not necessarily tied to acceleration, as originally reported, since it's doing it both
on acceleration and deceleration.

Maybe it's speed dependent - like it happens only between certain speeds? Only during certain engine/drivetrain RPMs? If
you change gears with the paddles when it is happening - either speeding up or down - does the sound go away?
This clicking is driving me nuts! While accelerating and slowing, always under about 30mph. Click, click click!!!

#10 Ā·
I found the issue with my rattle, I don't know why you insist on merging unrelated threads together.

This is the cause on mine. Loose heat shield was causing a rattle from wind once I got above a about 25 - 30 mph

Jaw Comfort Metal Electric blue Auto part

#14 Ā·
So I went for a test drive with the service manager. He says he thinks its suspension related. Im no mechanic, but I dont think so. He's more of a paper pusher unfortunately. I then went back and one for an hour ling drive with the sales manager who had come from service dept. He's more detail and performance oriented. He did hear the noise ( same with the service manager ) , and did a lot of climbing around while driving. We then went back to the dealer where he put some microfiber clothes in areas and then drove some more. No effect. But he seems to think the noise is coming from the driver side rear door. To be continued - they are short mechanics and my apt. is still weeks away.

Im guessing this is not the kind of thing that I can "lemon law" a car for.... Its absolutely driving me CRAZY.

#20 Ā·
Nope. Sorry. We ditched the GTS for a 2024 Cayenne. Now we have a buggy Cayenne thatā€™s had to have a comprehensive software update, multiple updates and we still keep getting this BS:
Gadget Computer Flat panel display Font Gas

Speedometer Car Gauge Motor vehicle Tachometer

Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Trip computer Car

Which makes the AAC disabled and unusable. Picked it up from the dealer earlier this week, demod the issue, they saw it and took pictures of errors, said no codes stored. It happened again today 3 hours into our 19 hr trip and we called the dealer. They keep telling us it caused by ā€œ environmental conditionsā€. They tell us to clerk for bugs on the windshield and front camera.