Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post but I didn't see this concern addressed yet.

Long story short I just had to get my front bumper and grille replaced. It took two months to get into the shop recommended by the dealership and another two months to get my car back. It was a dark and rainy day so after the repair tech showed me everything I just hopped in and drove away.

When I got out of the car I noticed this massive panel gap on both sides of the hood. I called the repair shop and they said they'd be happy to adjust it but it won't really help since it will just make the gap on the other side bigger.

It just looks like the hood wasn't quite formed correctly. If I lean on the hood the panel gaps close and everything looks great.

Has anyone run into this issue before? Im thinking maybe if I just invited one of my heftier friends over we could just lean on each side and form the hood into shape.

More realistically I want to try leaning some padded pieces of wood on each side overnight and see if the aluminum takes the shape.

I can live with it but this is my first Porsche and a panel gap right there on the hood is such an eye sore once you see it.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That definitely needs to be adjusted by a body shop that knows what they are doing and not tell you it's just going to shift to the other side. That's way out of whack.

·
Registered
14,483 Posts
I have a friend who many years ago rejected a delivery of a car that looked like this. It is a known issue with the first generation car and some have it others don’t. I had one that had minor gap and it was repaired as best as it could be. The clamshell hood is very difficult to align. It clearly is a quality control deficit that it wasn’t remedied early on in the production. By the second and third generation however these problems almost disappeared. Without even asking you my guess is your car is a first generation car. If not then your body shop simply did a terrible job.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Unacceptable!
What MY is your Macan?
Were repairs done at a Porsche Certified repair center?

I wonder if they sourced the wrong hood? There have been some minor changes to the hood during model refreshes. Resulting in changes to the under hood insulation pad.

See my Thread:

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is super easy to adjust- there are two 'catches' on each side with locating pins. I made minor adjustments on mine when I got it, because it wasn't quite perfect, but my car was used and has 75k+ miles on it.

If I paid for body work to be done I would take it back to the shop that did it, and let them screw with it, because it can impact how the hood opens/closes, and each time you move one thing, it effects the others on our large one-piece hood/fender clamshell things.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've had a long string of mechanics and other contractors who have done deplorable jobs, or downright damaged vehicles. It's never been an issue of cost for me, I'm just looking for competence. I have a very select number of contractors I will deal with now. All my transmission work goes to a shop 4 hours away, because they do a spectacular job and for a reasonable price - the cost of trailering vehicles to him far outweighs the cost of local incompetence and legal fees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a friend who many years ago rejected a delivery of a car that looked like this. It is a known issue with the first generation car and some have it others don’t. I had one that had minor gap and it was repaired as best as it could be. The clamshell hood is very difficult to align. It clearly is a quality control deficit that it wasn’t remedied early on in the production. By the second and third generation however these problems almost disappeared. Without even asking you my guess is your car is a first generation car. If not then your body shop simply did a terrible job. View attachment 258438
You nailed it haha. Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unacceptable!
What MY is your Macan?
Were repairs done at a Porsche Certified repair center?

I wonder if they sourced the wrong hood? There have been some minor changes to the hood during model refreshes. Resulting in changes to the under hood insulation pad.

See my Thread:

Its a 2016. It was Stuttgart Auto in Denver, where the dealership recommended.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is super easy to adjust- there are two 'catches' on each side with locating pins. I made minor adjustments on mine when I got it, because it wasn't quite perfect, but my car was used and has 75k+ miles on it.

If I paid for body work to be done I would take it back to the shop that did it, and let them screw with it, because it can impact how the hood opens/closes, and each time you move one thing, it effects the others on our large one-piece hood/fender clamshell things.
Thanks man I'll start there. It does look like the hood is just straight up a litttttle too big so it might be the wrong MY.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
From your pic it does look excessive. Personally, id be back first opportunity to get it adjusted. However, over the last four years I have noticed that heat can cause warping. Some days it’s perfect. Hot days might give a different result. It is mild. But it does happen. Let us know how this plays out.

Don’t take ‘no’ for an answer.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Its a 2016. It was Stuttgart Auto in Denver, where the dealership recommended.
My Macan is also MY2016.

There have been changes to the clamshell hood, as indicated in my thread I referenced above.
Possibly you received a newer hood that 'superseded' your original hood?

If so, IDK if that is the reason for the large gaps but, worth asking Porsche.

In any event, the body shop has been paid & they must fix your car to your satisfaction.
Do you have "before photos" showing normal, small, even gaps that you can bring in to compare to the large, current gaps?

·
Registered
279 Posts
The Macan's clamshell hood is sexy, but it really would have been more at home in 1950s Maranello than 21st-century Leipzig. You can bet the factory has a huge amount of grief with it, themselves. I'm not surprised there are alignment issues with some of them (although what's depicted here is certainly over the top.)

One of the Macan factory videos shows a guy standing on the production line with a mallet as the cars go by. He is busier than a software engineer in the VW emissions lab.

·
Registered
353 Posts

Long story short I just had to get my front bumper and grille replaced. It took two months to get into the shop recommended by the dealership and another two months to get my car back. It was a dark and rainy day so after the repair tech showed me everything I just hopped in and drove away.

When I got out of the car I noticed this massive panel gap on both sides of the hood. I called the repair shop and they said they'd be happy to adjust it but it won't really help since it will just make the gap on the other side bigger.

It just looks like the hood wasn't quite formed correctly. If I lean on the hood the panel gaps close and everything looks great.

Has anyone run into this issue before? Im thinking maybe if I just invited one of my heftier friends over we could just lean on each side and form the hood into shape.

More realistically I want to try leaning some padded pieces of wood on each side overnight and see if the aluminum takes the shape.

I can live with it but this is my first Porsche and a panel gap right there on the hood is such an eye sore once you see it.

View attachment 258437
If the dealership said, Maaco was a great body shop, don't believe their lies.

·
Registered
2019 Porsche Carrera T, 2019 Audi Etron and 2018 Ford F150. 2022 Macan S ordered, May '22 to dealer
57 Posts

View attachment 258437
Does the gap change when it is hot and when it is cold?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts