Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my turbo pre-owned with 20k mi. I plan on using primarily mobil or shell 93. Only problem is, the last guy that owned it couldve been a maniac and used 89. The dme was cleared so i cant read cylinder misfires from the previous owner.

Any thoughts on using chevron complete fuel system cleaner? Figured this would clean any possible low grade fuel buildup and also clean my conscience :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have been using it for years with NO problems, I get it from Costco in a 3 pack for a good price! It's more fun then buying 3 jars of pickles or whatever else they bundle together!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I've read that it should only be used before an oil change because it can wash contaminates into the oil. Which doesn't seem to make sense, but "some say."

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive seen conflicting reports on timing with respect to oil change. I was gonna do it way before my service is due. Couldnt find any convincing info to suggest this could cause harm. So i assume it doesnt matter when you do it. Would think all the crap ends up in the fuel filter anyway (not the oil filter)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Per the service manager at my dealer. Use Shell premium. The Chevron tech cleaner every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Put it in before you fill up so it gets mixed .
DRIVE It like it's meant to be driven all the time. German cars need to be driven.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.. Did just that this AM. Drove it like i stole it. Didnt do launch mode, just got Pirelli Scorpion Zero all season plus Y rated tires 150 miles ago so not broken in enough for that yet

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I think a steady diet of Shell 93 and blowing off the carbon with some speed runs will do the trick without the additive.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I think a steady diet of Shell 93 and blowing off the carbon with some speed runs will do the trick without the additive.
Getting a car to or near redline (regular exercise) really is one of the best medicines.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I have been using it for years with NO problems, I get it from Costco in a 3 pack for a good price! It's more fun then buying 3 jars of pickles or whatever else they bundle together!
Chevron markets at least two or three different but related products. The stuff Costco sells is the weakest. The strongest is called Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Of course it costs quite a bit more. I have found Amazon to be a good source. A Google search should provide a wealth of information about this if you are interested in more specifics.

So far as fuel goes, any Top Tier fuel (see toptiergas.com) will be fine. Shell is a good example.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the complete fuel system cleaner from amazon. Plus I do "italian tune ups" on a regular basis

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Bought my turbo pre-owned with 20k mi. I plan on using primarily mobil or shell 93. Only problem is, the last guy that owned it couldve been a maniac and used 89. The dme was cleared so i cant read cylinder misfires from the previous owner.

Any thoughts on using chevron complete fuel system cleaner? Figured this would clean any possible low grade fuel buildup and also clean my conscience :)
Assuming you currently have no indications of a problem, chances are you don't have a lot to worry about.

If the former owner used 89 octane fuel, the engine would have generally adjusted itself to protect itself from preignition damage.

And even if he used 89 octane fuel, as long as it was top-tier (see my earlier post) there should not be any issues with carbon buildup. Octane and carbon buildup are different issues.

My opinion is so long as your engine is not exhibiting any signs of problems, there's no need for you to use a fuel additive so long as you're using top tier fuel.

I also don't think that modern engines generally have a need for the so-called "Italian tuneup" the way that some of them did decades ago. This is because these days fuel mixture is so tightly controlled by the engine computer. Just my view, and of course feel free to disagree.

Not trying to say that the Chevron fuel additives don't work. Quite to the contrary. One of the Mini Countrymans we owned would idle roughly if we did not give it a bottle of complete fuel system cleaner every couple of thousand miles, despite a steady diet of top tier fuel. Not quite sure what the issue was, whether it was intake valve deposits or dirty fuel injectors or something else. I always suspected the injectors, given that BMW has had well known issues with these on certain engines. And we also owned another Mini Countryman with the exact same engine, and that will never exhibited the problem at all.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update. Put the big bottle of the chevron complete fuel system cleaner during a mobil 93 fillup a few days back and took the tiger for a 50 mile labor day spin to stretch the legs. Mix of comfort and spirited driving... and a little WOT. It felt great and no percieved issues whatsoever. When I came back I used an OBD scanner to check the systems and I had 33 cylinder misfires basically evenly spread across all 6 cylinders. No MIL light...
Turned car off and on and everything reads 0 misfires (my mercedes used to store all the misfires until the dme was cleared).
My take on this... either a) the handheld reader I have sucks, b) the chevron + mobil 93 is causing knock because there is too much detergent in the gas, or c) the last b*st*rd that had the car didnt use 93 and Im breaking off little carbon nuggets through the fuel system.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Update. Put the big bottle of the chevron complete fuel system cleaner during a mobil 93 fillup a few days back and took the tiger for a 50 mile labor day spin to stretch the legs. Mix of comfort and spirited driving... and a little WOT. It felt great and no percieved issues whatsoever. When I came back I used an OBD scanner to check the systems and I had 33 cylinder misfires basically evenly spread across all 6 cylinders. No MIL light...
Turned car off and on and everything reads 0 misfires (my mercedes used to store all the misfires until the dme was cleared).
My take on this... either a) the handheld reader I have sucks, b) the chevron + mobil 93 is causing knock because there is too much detergent in the gas, or c) the last b*st*rd that had the car didnt use 93 and Im breaking off little carbon nuggets through the fuel system.
Maybe the problem here is that you used Mobil gas with Chevron product. :laugh:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely possible. We dont have chevron here. So 1 vote for possibility b)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update 2. Summary log of misfires on the obd reader today. Still drives perfect, no check engine light.
25 miles this am-33 (about equally distributed in all 6 cylinders)
38 miles 2pm-22 misfires (10 in cylinder 6 the rest in other 5 cylinders)
38 miles 7pm- 7 misfires (3 in cylinders 6 and 3, 0 in other 4 cylinders)

I think its cleaning out...
Anyway, gonna keep checking and see what happens through this tank and when I put a fresh tank of 93 octane. Hopefully it goes back to 0.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The newest icarsoft mbII that i used on my 2 mercedes, acura mdx, and my friends 340i), but it has basic functionality for non-mercedes cars. It doesnt have porsche specific functions, but can still diagnose and erase MIL codes (supposedly). The general obd program actually communicates with way more sensors on the macan than it did on my merc. The p-cars seem way more advanced

·
Registered
216 Posts
or c) the last b*st*rd that had the car didnt use 93 and Im breaking off little carbon nuggets through the fuel system.
How common is 93 in your area? Maybe the b*st*rd was just using his neighborhood station?

Here I have no clue where to find greater than 91. There are a few websites that attempt to provide this information, but IIRC the closest stations are at least 1/2 hour away so I haven't verified in person.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How common is 93 in your area? Maybe the b*st*rd was just using his neighborhood station?

Here I have no clue where to find greater than 91. There are a few websites that attempt to provide this information, but IIRC the closest stations are at least 1/2 hour away so I haven't verified in person.

That sucks man. In Chitown we have 93 everywhere (99% of gas stations). 91 is nearly $1 cheaper per gallon. The car was a previous lease from the dealer where I bought it (so local). I don't actually think the previous owner was a b*st*rd, they actually took really nice care of the car so for that I am grateful.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts