Porsche Macan Forum banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
See post 1. Best is on the charge points under the hood. Otherwise if power goes out the ctek might not restart if in the lighter socket.

I would not start the car. It sucks energy out for no reason.

·
Registered
261 Posts
1) My car is sitting in the garage due to long-term self-isolation. How often should I charge the car?
(It isn't practical to leave it plugged in all the time as I navigate through the space all the time and will trip over the wire)

Separately, I read the following instructions for 12V lighter on another post:

Plug your battery maintainer into an electrical outlet
Turn your ignition on ( or alternatively start you car)
Plug the battery maintainer into your cigarette lighter
Switch ignition off ( or shut engine off)

2) Where you run the wire? Through the bottom of the door - Gasket or ???

3) Do I need to lock the car for it to work?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony
I have been using the outlet in the trunk. A few months back when I first got my Macan I was thinking about adding CTEK leads to the battery charging post under the hood but using the 12v outlet in the trunk has been working fine. As Grim pointed out in one of these charging posts, the hood isn't really designed for the frequent opening and closing as the back hatch is. I still may add those leads under the hood for charging long term while I'm away from home so I don't have to worry about the rear 12v outlet being closed off
after a power outage.

Reactions: grim

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
1) My car is sitting in the garage due to long-term self-isolation. How often should I charge the car?
(It isn't practical to leave it plugged in all the time as I navigate through the space all the time and will trip over the wire)

Separately, I read the following instructions for 12V lighter on another post:

Plug your battery maintainer into an electrical outlet
Turn your ignition on ( or alternatively start you car)
Plug the battery maintainer into your cigarette lighter
Switch ignition off ( or shut engine off)

2) Where you run the wire? Through the bottom of the door - Gasket or ???

3) Do I need to lock the car for it to work?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony
I should add to this. Don't start the car, just follow the directions in post #2. I would lock the car. No need not to. If you can't move the wire out of the way, I would make sure the charging cycle completes until the green light goes on and the charger moves to maintaining. That doesn't mean you can't just unplug it. I've unplugged it many times in the middle of cycles. If you really can't keep it in maintenance mode, I would charge it at least every 5 days or so "depending" upon the current SOH and SOC. If you have no means to determine SOH and SOC then base it upon age. IOW, if the battery is older, just sitting there the battery will sulphate more and more and never be recoverable. So the older the battery, the more I would plug it in. If its newer, then maybe not so much. The bottom line being, keep it plugged in as much as possible. That's would I would do. YMMV.

·
Registered
38 Posts
To add to this informative thread - I bought the Porsche charger and, following instructions here, plugged it into the cigarette lighter, left it overnight. No luck charging. I tried a CTEK I bought 2 years ago. No turning ignition on/off. It just fired right up and later that day I had the 5th green light illuminated. I tried the Porsche charger on my BMW roadster and it worked instantly. It would not work on the Macan and I made sure there was good contact in the cigarette lighter. Bottom line - a regular CTEK, in this case a MUS 4.3, works by just plugging it into the lighter on a 2020, and it's far less expensive than the CTEK branded Porsche charger.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The issue might not be with your Porsche branded charger. I have found that when or if the connection of 12v outlets to the battery is turned off, can be a little quirky. Initially after a drive I was plugging in my CTEK (using the rear cargo area outlet) right after turning off the car. I would then turn the ignition to the accessory position and then off. Most often this worked as far as keeping the 12v outlet “live”. On occasion however the live connection to the outlet would shut down. Since I have started plugging in the charger before turning off the ignition it has always stayed on.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
To add to this informative thread - I bought the Porsche charger and, following instructions here, plugged it into the cigarette lighter, left it overnight. No luck charging. I tried a CTEK I bought 2 years ago. No turning ignition on/off. It just fired right up and later that day I had the 5th green light illuminated. I tried the Porsche charger on my BMW roadster and it worked instantly. It would not work on the Macan and I made sure there was good contact in the cigarette lighter. Bottom line - a regular CTEK, in this case a MUS 4.3, works by just plugging it into the lighter on a 2020, and it's far less expensive than the CTEK branded Porsche charger.
What I bought from Amazon was a CTEK for $69 and it works great off of the cigarette lighter. Just plug it in after you turn the key off.
CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0-12 Volt Battery Charger

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
To add to this informative thread - I bought the Porsche charger and, following instructions here, plugged it into the cigarette lighter, left it overnight. No luck charging. I tried a CTEK I bought 2 years ago. No turning ignition on/off. It just fired right up and later that day I had the 5th green light illuminated.
The original Porsche charger was probably a 3300. Its max capacity is 90AH battery. The Macan is 92 AH. So a 3300, as others have found it, will not work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The original Porsche charger was probably a 3300. Its max capacity is 90AH battery. The Macan is 92 AH. So a 3300, as others have found it, will not work.

This makes sense. The Porsche charger was new, bought last week from Suncoast. It ran hot on the Macan, but cool on the BMW.

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
What I bought from Amazon was a CTEK for $69 and it works great off of the cigarette lighter. Just plug it in after you turn the key off.
CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0-12 Volt Battery Charger
I was looking at this one. Quite good but price increased to $74.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I was looking at this one. Quite good but price increased to $74.
For the extra $5.00 you won't be disappointed. I also got an extension cord, a rubber protection bra, and a box to put all this stuff in. So when I slide into the garage I will empty the car and then deal with the CTEK. Get the plug into the cigarette lighter orifice within 5, or so, minutes, close door and lock it, plug it into the power source and gathering up my purchases depart with confidence I am treating my way too expensive Porsche battery with tenderness. With the COVI-19 these trips are maybe once a week.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I tucked my Macan away Feb 9.....

can't get back to the US yet....

When ?
Impossible to say

All plugged in my dry garage.........

My QP was stored all winter like that for 6 months
but I had tire cradles

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll do a write up on it after installed.

Too bad this isn't part of Porsche Car Connect's app. I'd rather be able to monitor the battery than remotely fold the mirrors.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Isn’t battery charge level and monitoring included in the Macan’s MFD already? What is the difference between the native capability of the Macan, shown in the photo, and the CTEk Battery Sense (other than apparent trending capability)?

Ordered one of these from Amazon to keep an eye on the battery: CTEK CTX BATTERY SENSE
View attachment 230675
I'll do a write up on it after installed.

Too bad this isn't part of Porsche Car Connect's app. I'd rather be able to monitor the battery than remotely fold the mirrors.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Isn’t battery charge level and monitoring included in the Macan’s PCM already? What is the difference between the native capability of the Macan, shown in the photo, and the CTEk Battery Sense (other than apparent trending capability)?
Well, the MFD will display the battery's voltage, if you turn the key but don't yet start the engine. But it will only show the voltage at that time, before starting the engine. And, unfortunately, turning the key to light up the display (but not fire up the engine) will also fire up some of the electronics in the car, i.e., rapidly affecting the battery's voltage. So the MFD display is of questionable utility. And after starting the engine, that display is showing what the alternator is doing -- how much juice it is sending to the battery -- rather than what the battery is putting out. At least that seems to be the consensus here (too many threads to cite).

That CTEK monitor, on the other hand, may be useful in showing the battery's state even when the car is technically off, much like hooking up a multimeter to the lugs under the hood, with the car off. I've done the multimeter testing, but if the CTEK works as advertised, it may provide a more meaningful display, and certainly a more convenient one. I'm not saying any of this works or is actually meaningful, but that's the theory behind all of this.

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Well, the MFD will display the battery's voltage, if you turn the key but don't yet start the engine. But it will only show the voltage at that time, before starting the engine. And, unfortunately, turning the key to light up the display (but not fire up the engine) will also fire up some of the electronics in the car, i.e., rapidly affecting the battery's voltage. So the MFD display is of questionable utility. And after starting the engine, that display is showing what the alternator is doing -- how much juice it is sending to the battery -- rather than what the battery is putting out. At least that seems to be the consensus here (too many threads to cite).

That CTEK monitor, on the other hand, may be useful in showing the battery's state even when the car is technically off, much like hooking up a multimeter to the lugs under the hood, with the car off. I've done the multimeter testing, but if the CTEK works as advertised, it may provide a more meaningful display, and certainly a more convenient one. I'm not saying any of this works or is actually meaningful, but that's the theory behind all of this.
The is correct in that it should should the voltage but there is already a drain. AFAIK its the charging voltage if the car is running.

The Battery sense app must always be running, a drain on your smartphone. But the graph of voltage is nice.

There are very few reviews and all of them old. The battery does not disconnect but this is a banner, same battery as on the Sports Cars and you can see what he does by adding another nut. Don't know if there is room on the Macan battery to do this

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
If you buy a battery analyzer, read the manual. In this case, the battery is inside the car and yet outside the car was chosen. Second, it looks like a regular battery and AGM is chosen. Look at the second screen showing the resistance. AGM battery resistance would be under 3.5. Last, if you looking at the features of the analyzer, this one says below or above freezing. In fact, temperature compensation matters and its much finer than just below or above freezing. Also, if you want to remember the readings, a printer matters. Otherwise your memory better be very good.

161 - 180 of 180 Posts