Porsche Macan Forum banner
501 - 520 of 579 Posts

· Registered
Macan S 2022
20 Posts
Glad to help!
Living in an earthquake-prone country, having a power station at hand is always good in emergency situations.
That it allows my Macan to survive the winter sure is a nice bonus! :D

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Thanks all on great info on charging the battery. Since I retired I won't be daily driving when I get my 2023 Macan.

· Registered
2016 Macan Turbo
91 Posts
I can confirm that using the 12 volt accessory outlet in the rear luggage compartment to achieve a lengthy full charge from a CTEK US MULTI 7002 charger works nicely.

Details: 2016 Macan Turbo. If the charger is connected after the 12v outlet is switched off by the car (usually within 30 minutes or immediately after locking the car), the CTEK MULTI US 7002 will not light any of its charging status LEDs, indicating no connection to a battery (the charger's green power on LED does light). Switching the ignition on, connecting and switching the charger on to AGM (snowflake) mode and then turning the ignition off will allow the charger to complete its cycle without issue, indicated by the progression of amber and finally green LEDs. Even locking the car after this set of steps does not affect the charging process, which is nice.

· Registered
229 Posts
CTEK US MULTI 7002 charger here. Secured underground parkade in my complex.

Has anyone found a viable solution to run some cables from the battery terminals (engine compartment or on the battery itself in the trunk) to outside of the car so that they can be hooked up to the charger?

I rather not have my hood popped open for days on end in the parkade just so I can hook the charger to the terminals in the engine compartment.

· Registered
33 Posts
Sure. Hardwire a ctek extension to the posts under the hood. Run the pigtail out from under the hood by the wiper arm. Tuck it in by the wiper when you are not charging. I have two Macans, The other is also hard wired but I wanted that pigtail to come out next to the drivers side headlight. The headlight has a soft rubber housing and the cord tucks under that perfectly with about 3 inches of the wire sticking out. Both methods work great. Will take you about 15 minutes. Nice and tidy.

· Registered
1,747 Posts

Has anyone found a viable solution to run some cables from the battery terminals (engine compartment or on the battery itself in the trunk) to outside of the car so that they can be hooked up to the charger?

I rather not have my hood popped open for days on end in the parkade just so I can hook the charger to the terminals in the engine compartment.
Look at post 254 in this thread. I detail how I connected the CTEK pig tail directly to the battery. There is no problem closing the rear hatch over the charger cord when connected to the pigtail. When you don’t need it tucks into the spare tire storage area.

· Registered
60 Posts
I rather not have my hood popped open for days on end
I'm going to order a OptiMate all-weather pigtail (with a cap), and a 3-ft extension, and hook it directly to the battery. I changed it yesterday, and there's a small rubber grommet on the right side that the cable would fit perfectly there. Will have to cut the cable to slide it in there, but will splice it inside the compartment. I'll route it below, and attach the cap to one of the 2 chain holes on the hitch. It'll be basically invisible. And easy to charge directly to the battery without opening anything (and power a compressor, etc if needed). If you connect to the remote terminals, most smart chargers (including my OptiMate6) don't like that, and don't keep the battery charged properly. When I leave it like a week or so, it's on red. SUV still started, but that's not good for the battery (that's why I replaced it at the 4-yr mark). Will post results when it's done.

· Registered
2021 Macan GTS
105 Posts

See post 244 for under hood pig tail connection for Ctek plug that runs charger cord out by wipers. No problem closing hood.

· Registered
458 Posts
I have attached the battery charging wires directly to the battery, routed them through the battery compartment to behind the rear bumper, terminated the wires behind the rear license plate holder with a weather proof connection. Installed a swing down license plate holder for easy access to the charging port. This is your solution. If the swing down license plate holder is too much for you, then you could install the charging connector port somewhere on the rear bumper diffuser where it would not be seen.

· Administrator
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #511 ·
I have attached the battery charging wires directly to the battery, routed them through the battery compartment to behind the rear bumper, terminated the wires behind the rear license plate holder with a weather proof connection. Installed a swing down license plate holder for easy access to the charging port. This is your solution. If the swing down license plate holder is too much for you, then you could install the charging connector port somewhere on the rear bumper diffuser where it would not be seen.

Its obvious you have done a great deal of work to come up with this solution and documented the steps. Good work. But the first sentence simply isn't true. It EASY to connect the charger and close everything. People have been charging Porsches since at least the mid-2000s. You just close the door on the wire. Its rubber and nothing happens to the wire. @Willie Web mentions this above in closing the trunk. People have been hardwiring to the jump ports for years. The wire comes out near the wipers and the hood is never opened. You really don't want to keep opening and closing the hood simply because you can't check the oil again until the car has been driven some number of miles. Finally, even if you do open the hood and use the alligator clips, you can just close the hood over the wires. Nothing happened to the wires. Thats not the optimum choice because you have to reopen the hood to remove the alligator clips. By pulling the wire from the jump terminals to the windshield, the hood is never opened. Just saying, I think maybe you make it sound far more difficult that it really is. Just close the door, trunk, or hood in the wire. It works. Its been documented in this thread over and over again.

· Registered
458 Posts
I agree that bringing the wire out the cargo compartment works. However, the fact that it works doesn't mean that is the solution that everyone wants. The original poster states that he does not park in a house garage, but rather in a parking area of some sort. He apparently has access to power. I believe connecting the charging wire directly to the battery and bringing it out the cargo area would definitely work for him.
For me, I wanted a more elegant solution. That why we personalize or vehicles. (smile)

· Administrator
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #514 ·
The original poster states that he does not park in a house garage, but rather in a parking area of some sort …
For me, I wanted a more elegant solution. That why we personalize or vehicles. (smile)
I am the OP. In the first couple posts, 3 years ago, I explained just shut the door on the wire. Been doing that, or hardwired, for about 15 years. Anyway, I got no issue with mods. My only point was the first sentence of the article which appears to be not true . I have never left the hood, or window open, ever. And its trivial to not do so.

Run the cord out the bottom of the door. I know this might freak somebody out who might wants to run it out of the window but the door has a rubber piece on the bottom that you can’t see. It doesn’t seem to harm the car or the wire and the door shuts.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
I agree that bringing the wire out the cargo compartment works. However, the fact that it works doesn't mean that is the solution that everyone wants. The original poster states that he does not park in a house garage, but rather in a parking area of some sort. He apparently has access to power. I believe connecting the charging wire directly to the battery and bringing it out the cargo area would definitely work for him.
To me an "elegant solution" is neat, simple with the least amount of work involved and no irreversible changes made (like holes drilled) . Routing and exposing the connection to the weather/elements outside the vehicle, having to buy a flip down license plate holder is not neat, simple or easier. Having the pigtail connection in the trunk / rear cargo area rather than behind the license plate holder also has the option of placing the charger in the trunk with only the power cord outside the vehicle. This could be important to someone charging in a public garage area where the charger could be stolen.

It's obvious that everyone can "personalize" as they wish but it's helpful to detail the advantages and disadvantages of different methods.

Reactions: grim and Gachnar

· Registered
19 Posts
I use CTEK cig plug, hook it up to the 12V socket in the back cargo, run the cable out of the back, close the hatch on it and lock the car.

Works every time (well, after I replaced the broken CTEK that is).

· Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
1,164 Posts
I use CTEK cig plug, hook it up to the 12V socket in the back cargo, run the cable out of the back, close the hatch on it and lock the car.

Works every time (well, after I replaced the broken CTEK that is).
As long as you aren’t leaving it for long term storage this or the console one closed on the door are all anyone needs.

· Registered
2016 Macan Turbo
91 Posts
I am charging in the trunk, using the CTEK 12v cig adapter. If there is a power failure, I already know that CTEK chargers will restart from the beginning of the charging program in the same mode they were set to. Fine.

However, does anyone know how long the Macan will allow this charging method to work after the charger loses power and then regains power. I'm suspecting that a 30 minute down time would work but probably not in case of a longer power failure. Anyone have experience with this particular condition ?

· Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
1,164 Posts
I am charging in the trunk, using the CTEK 12v cig adapter. If there is a power failure, I already know that CTEK chargers will restart from the beginning of the charging program in the same mode they were set to. Fine.

However, does anyone know how long the Macan will allow this charging method to work after the charger loses power and then regains power. I'm suspecting that a 30 minute down time would work but probably not in case of a longer power failure. Anyone have experience with this particular condition ?
The accessory outlet will go to sleep after 30 min if not in use. I'm sure it's covered in more detail somewhere in the giant thread. Not an issue for just routine maintenance at home, but if the car sits in storage for months it's not a trustworthy option.

501 - 520 of 579 Posts