Porsche Macan Forum banner
441 - 460 of 540 Posts

· Registered
'21 Macan GTS
22 Posts
I've searched the forum, and I find a couple statements that the Macan uses an AGM battery, but I thought I'd specifically check in with you guys. Does the 2021 have an AGM batt?

I just bought a CTEK charger, and it has the AGM mode. My other three cars I've confirmed have std batteries. Charger worked great. But I don't want to damage my Macan battery by making the wrong choice. I called my local dealer, and they said, "they'll check", but haven't gotten any call back (kind of expected).

Thanks

· Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a question on charging Macan. It's a 2018 Macan.

I tried to charge via the cig plug on center console using CTEK MXS 5 and it seemed to be working. After 1-2 days, all 7 charging LEDs lit up indicating a full charge (as shown below). I was under the impression that charging via the cig plug succeeded.

At the same time I had the clamps with indicator connected to the positive and ground terminals under the hood. I was expecting it to blink green. But instead it blinked red.

I'm confused. What could've gone wrong? Anyone?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Guitar accessory Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle Car

· Registered
19 Posts
The thing is, at one point the indicator was green, then orange, then after 1-2 days, it went red, all while the car was being charged via the cig plug.

So it seems that charging didn't occur and instead the battery was drained?

You cannot trust the voltage at the jump posts. Its less than at the actual battery.
. You can try a battery analyser at the actual battery.

· Registered
2018 Macan SE Agate Gray
235 Posts
Seven years and over a thousand posts - I've skimmed and searched (but not read one-by-one) and have yet to find a clear explanation of why it is necessary to "register" a new battery (or the consequences of simply replacing like-for-like without registration)

"Back in the day" cars had ammeters and the behavior after starting (i.e. briefly imposing a heavy load) was as expected, a brief period of relatively high current followed by a decrease to a typically low level - cars of the time drew very little current unless the lights were on. The voltmeter in my Macan mirrors that behavior as Ohm's law would predict with a lower voltage immediately after starting and a climb to a higher level, ~14+ volts with a few miles of driving. It is not clear that there is any significant "control" intervention.

Urban legend?

· Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
Seven years and over a thousand posts - I've skimmed and searched (but not read one-by-one) and have yet to find a clear explanation of why it is necessary to "register" a new battery (or the consequences of simply replacing like-for-like without registration)

"Back in the day" cars had ammeters and the behavior after starting (i.e. briefly imposing a heavy load) was as expected, a brief period of relatively high current followed by a decrease to a typically low level - cars of the time drew very little current unless the lights were on. The voltmeter in my Macan mirrors that behavior as Ohm's law would predict with a lower voltage immediately after starting and a climb to a higher level, ~14+ volts with a few miles of driving. It is not clear that there is any significant "control" intervention.

Urban legend?
You've said this over and over again. And nothing is going to change. You can complain until the end of time, nothing will change. Please go complain in the complaint section and not in this Thread which is about HOW to replace and register the battery. Its Off Topic. This has been moved to charging.

BTW

The voltmeter in my Macan mirrors that behavior as Ohm's law would predict with a lower voltage immediately after starting and a climb to a higher level, ~14+ volts with a few miles of driving. It is not clear that there is any significant "control" intervention.
FYI. Does it? Its not showing you the voltage of the battery, thats what the alternator is doing, not the battery. The Energy management system employed by modern Porsche cars is probably nothing like you imagine. It does its own thing when their algorithm decide. Did you know that the car does a form of regenerative braking? As you brake watch the voltmeter rise. its using the braking to charge. When it gets cold, really cold, watch the voltmeter rise, 15.1., 2, 15.4. It should be about 14.7 since thats the normal charging volts for AGM batteries. I would not assume the algorithms they use have anything to do with ancient history. Its also worrying about the voltage for the auto start/stop. To low, it cuts off start/stop. Constantly charging, it wears the alternator out prematurely. Drive in sport all the time, the alternator is always working, not good. Why in sport will it push up to 14.7 while normally around 13? I don't think its doing what you think its doing.

· Registered
1,691 Posts
The thing is, gotta let the hood open to charge using the jump posts. Just not convenient.
Attach CTEK pig tail leads directly to the battery under the rear storage area. Pretty sure they came with the charger. I was using the rear storage area 12v outlet for months for charging. Getting the outlet to stay live was hit or miss regardless of the protocol I used. Attaching the leads is pretty easy and provides foolproof charging once set up. I have pictures and an explanation in this thread of how I did it. I never use the charge indicator dongle.

· Registered
19 Posts
Attach CTEK pig tail leads directly to the battery under the rear storage area. Pretty sure they came with the charger. I was using the rear storage area 12v outlet for months for charging. Getting the outlet to stay live was hit or miss regardless of the protocol I used. Attaching the leads is pretty easy and provides foolproof charging once set up. I have pictures and an explanation in this thread of how I did it. I never use the charge indicator dongle.
Read somewhere that charging shouldn't be done directly to the battery. So I am a bit hesitant to do it that way. But will consider it now that the cig plug isn't working.

· Registered
3,654 Posts
The thing is, gotta let the hood open to charge using the jump posts. Just not convenient.
This thread describes Permanent CTEK connection to Engine Bay Jump Start terminals

So no need to open hood to connect your CTEK!

Start reading @ post #62

· Registered
1,691 Posts
Read somewhere that charging shouldn't be done directly to the battery. So I am a bit hesitant to do it that way. But will consider it now that the cig plug isn't working.
You better double check that source. You can't charge a battery without a direct connection to the battery. Whether you charge via the under-hood jump posts or using alligator clips directly to the battery posts, it is all a direct connection. What you need to be cautious about when adding charging pig tails to the battery is that there is no chance for it to short out anywhere. The design of the CETEK pig tails make it pretty much impossible.

· Registered
677 Posts
If I remember correctly, the CTech instructions say attach -ve to a body ground connection (ie not directly to the battery) and +ve directly to the battery.

441 - 460 of 540 Posts