Porsche Macan Forum banner
341 - 360 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'll be going away on vacation and plan to charge it prior, but I am not sure I feel comfortable leaving it charged the entire time. It's a brand new battery so I believe it will suffice.
All the tender does is keep the battery at full charge. When a modern car sits idle, there is still battery draw. The tender will "top off" the battery as it slowly loses charge. We're talking milli-amps. Nothing wrong with keeping it plugged in while you're away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Service recommend charging battery.
Will a battery tender recharge the battery? Or I need somethin else? (Please send recommendation)
Suncoast has (It is pricey):
How do I know when it is properly charged?
Is there a way I can get the screen output like from service?
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
477 Posts
Will a battery tender recharge the battery? Or I need somethin else? (Please send recommendation)
Is there a way I can get the screen output like from service? View attachment 255617
That's a low level of charge. A "tender" will recharge it but it will take time. If your battery has fallen to this low level it's not great for the battery and there could be other issues, like it's nearly dead, but perhaps you could fill us in on some background about age and usage of the battery.

The Porsche gadget is way over priced. Try this:

aimtom charger

Musical instrument accessory Font Cable Electronic device Technology

The screen gives more useful information than the Porsche one does + it can charge AGM, LiOn and conventional lead-acid batts.

Jules

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Is there a way I can get the screen output like from service? View attachment 255617
The 79% is Battery State of Health
Learn about it here:

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/battery-soh.174737/

Many MF members, including me, use CTEK battery tenders

An inexpensive multimeter can tell you the state of charge. Best to test that at the actual battery terminals (Not the under hood jump start posts) after you fully charge it with a CTEK or other brand battery tender.
Also keep in mind the rear hatch lights will lower the battery voltage, since it is a current draw, until the timer shuts them off. If you have a garage, leave the hatch open when charging so by the time you are finished, you can test the battery voltage with your MM.

A 12V battery has 2.1 V per cell so 12.6V is full charged but a new battery probably should be ~ 13.0 V. Especially an AGM battery.

You need a fully charged battery b4 you can run a accurate test for SOH.

Reactions: acronymous

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's a low level of charge. A "tender" will recharge it but it will take time. If your battery has fallen to this low level it's not great for the battery and there could be other issues, like it's nearly dead, but perhaps you could fill us in on some background about age and usage of the battery.

aimtom charger

View attachment 255620

The screen gives more useful information than the Porsche one does + it can charge AGM, LiOn and conventional lead-acid batts.

Jules
Mine is 2018 with 22k miles. It is exactly 4 years old. It is driven only once a week.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It is driven only once a week.
Drop in charge is quite fast and a week is too long to leave the car off a tender/charger.

SOH can be hard to get an accurate reading on [see iconoclast's advice] but please get yourself a decent charger and hook it up between your weekly drives.

Jules

Reactions: iconoclast

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

aimtom charger

View attachment 255620

Jules
Get a charger that has a de-sulfidation or recondition mode. It might buy you some time with needing a new battery.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm somewhat skeptical about claims of de-sulphication modes but give it a go. Check how long it takes to bring the battery up to full for future interest.

if you're only driving over weekends it's important that your battery gets fully charged during these outings so I'd suggest you turn off auto stop/start, particularly if you're only covering short distances, or if there's a fair amount of stop-starting happening in your driving.

These batteries will last a long time if they're looked after carefully but while there's advice in the manual on battery care it's different to what used to be regarded as ok.

Jules

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
I read somewhere de-sulphication does work but it may take a long time, perhaps a few days.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I read somewhere de-sulphication does work but it may take a long time, perhaps a few days.
I guess the question here is, how much does it work? If it was 100% effective we'd never need to throw out a battery. I can't quantify my view but I suspect that a de-sulphication phase of charging is more a matter of not making the problem worse rather than improving it significantly.

There's no question that older "dumb" chargers that simply blasted current/voltage into a battery would be a disaster with AGMs but there's limits to the magic a charger can produce and just as we inevitably age, so do batteries.

I dare to suggest that de-sulphication is a bit of a side issue for the overall, long term health of cmchoi's battery, though I'm not going to get into an argument about it.

Jules

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
My impression was de-sulphication does revive an old battery to some significant extent.

Reactions: acronymous

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #353 ·
@cmchoi you need to read

to get a basic understanding of how these batteries work. Every time that battery sits without being fully charged, its dying. That is why your warranty told you to drive it every day for 15 miles or 6,000/rolling year. Otherwise it sits on a smart charger. By only driving once/week, its probably toast.

You bought a good charger. The first step is, your manual tells you "Desulphation with pulsing for sulphated batteries." but its brief and not the reconditioning stage There are two kind so sulphation, reversible and non-reversible. I presume this pulsing just shakes loose some reversible sulphates since the battery was last fully charged. Reconditioning is something else. I can say, from experience, that mode 6, reconditioning, absolutely works for a non-AGM battery. It probably added a year to the life of the battery. Whether or not to use it on an AGM battery I got no clue. I read conflicting information some saying you can, others you cannot. I would write to CTEK and ask before using it on my car.

This is an expensive lesson to learn.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Reconditioning is something else. I can say, from experience, that mode 6, reconditioning, absolutely works for a non-AGM battery. It probably added a year to the life of the battery. Whether or not to use it on an AGM battery
Possibly a bad or even dangerous idea. Firstly, it's not necessary in an AGM to stir up the acid to tackle the issue of lamination, which is where the denser sulphuric acid settles to the bottom of an SLA battery and stays there. Lamination doesn't happen in an AGM because the glass mat design prevents it. [Little aside here, if you're using an SLA battery in a stationary situation it's a good idea to have a heat insulative mat underneath them, not something like concrete, which exacerbates lamination].

Secondly, because they're sealed, holding the charge voltage high [boost level] for any period of time will release significant amounts of hydrogen which is normally re-absorbed [with the help of a catalyst] but if the gassing exceeds the ability of the system to re-absorb there will have to be a release of gas through the safety valve. This is not good for several reasons.

I don't use a C-tek but I have to wonder if they would actually allow "reconditioning" if set to AGM. If they do, it would only be for a very short period.

Jules

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
477 Posts
I am getting CTEK 7002. Given current condition of battery at 53% charge and 79% age. Should I use AGM or Recond mode to recharge?
Sorry cmchoi, I was diverted into the discussion about de-sulphication and your question was simply whether to use AGM or recondition. I'd say use AGM for the reasons I gave above.

Jules

Reactions: cmchoi

·
Registered
477 Posts
AGM and recondition mode
Simultaneously? Interesting but I can't see the point given "recondition" is for SLAs. AGM manufacturers advise not to use the higher "boost" voltage for anything other than very short periods and by that I mean something like 10 minutes.

It would be interesting to lift the lid on the battery and have a sniff to see if there's any gas being given off.

Jules

·
Registered
574 Posts
Simultaneously? Interesting but I can't see the point given "recondition" is for SLAs. AGM manufacturers advise not to use the higher "boost" voltage for anything other than very short periods and by that I mean something like 10 minutes.

It would be interesting to lift the lid on the battery and have a sniff to see if there's any gas being given off.

Jules
I can’t tell what the charger is actually doing in that mode

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I can’t tell what the charger is actually doing in that mode
The voltage being delivered in that scenario would clarify what's going on.

Jules
The CTEK support section and manuals are actually pretty comprehensive. Below is a link to the manual for the MXS 5.0 model (the one I have). Look at page 11. It details how the voltage varies at the different stages (Eight for the MXS 5.0) for each mode. I'd guess that the manual for each model is similarly detailed and would help explain what is going on at each stage.

50013552F MXS 5.0 NA, Manual, Print file 001.indd (shopify.com)

341 - 360 of 360 Posts